Going to buy a tractor....Between Kubota and JD....which one is more american made

/ Going to buy a tractor....Between Kubota and JD....which one is more american made #41  
You folks need to face the reality that not everything is produced locally anymore. We are in a global economy now, with global markets. But trying to buy products that are locally made is the way to hopefully get production brought back here.

/ Going to buy a tractor....Between Kubota and JD....which one is more american made #42  
A lot of good points are being brought up here and I'm glad to see most members are willing to look at this fairly. If we didn't have a lot of import content in our small tractors, a lot of us couldn't afford them. Also, the countries that produce those small tractors couldn't afford to buy the large equipment we build in the US/Canada and export. They also couldn't buy the grain we export. The magic of international trade is that it maximizes the use of resources and raises the standard of living for everyone.

Granted there are some imbalances from time to time, but these will eventually even out. Today, manufacturing is so efficient that even China is losing factory jobs. The world just doesn't need as many factory workers. The future is in service, support and "knowledge workers". There is no way to change that direction.

/ Going to buy a tractor....Between Kubota and JD....which one is more american made #43  
If the name ends with an "A", it's probably more foreign made. Kubota, Toyota, Jinma, Mahindra, Mazda, Husquavara, etc.

If it ends with "er or "re," probably American Deere, Caterpillar.:thumbsup:

/ Going to buy a tractor....Between Kubota and JD....which one is more american made #44  
Ex450-Right-InStudio.jpg

167586510_06_conew1.jpg

Actually, I think the Yanmar looks much better...

/ Going to buy a tractor....Between Kubota and JD....which one is more american made #45  
If this is any indication, here is the annual iron ore production for the top 10 countries. Not that the United States doesn't have iron - I live on the Iron Range in MN, we have lots of it and the mines are working beyond their limits. When you get down to pig iron (the next step after the ore is mined) the US goes up to 9 but Japan jumps in at number 2 following China. Mines were at one time closing but Chinese, Dutch, and Indian companies have invested here because of their demand. US companies are more interested in making money with little tangible assets. As a manufacturer, bidding on steel goes on while ships are on the ocean and can be redirected or even reversed. That cheap Chinese iron I keep hearing about on this site may originate right here in the US but as the production numbers show, it is more likely to be from home in China or from Australia.

Country Annual Production (thousand metric tons)
1 China 880,000
2 Australia 394,000
3 Brazil 300,000
4 India 245,000
5 Russian Federation 92,000
6 Ukraine 66,476
7 South Africa 55,313
8 Iran 33,000
9 Canada 31,700
10 United States 26,696

/ Going to buy a tractor....Between Kubota and JD....which one is more american made #46  
Actually, I think the Yanmar looks much better...

If I'm not mistaken, Yanmar manufactured both tractors in the same factory BUT, the John Deere was made to JD specs while the Yanmar was made to their specs meaning the Yanmar tractor received a total cast iron drive train with heavier front and rear housings, heavier loader cylinders, heavier loader frame, bigger tranny, and a higher reach on the fel. And to top it off the Yanmar costs about $4000 less out the door than the JD.

/ Going to buy a tractor....Between Kubota and JD....which one is more american made #47  
Here is my take on this. Whose engine is the most used oem engine? You don't see Yanmar or Shibura engines in everybodies equipment. Kubota engines are used in practically everything. My other take is that I have worked on Kubota, New Holland, and John Deere compact tractors, plus others for nearly 25 years. As a mechanic the Kubotas are far easier to work on, have better parts distribution, and cheaper parts cost. Granted I have no proof and haven't made a scientific study, it is only my observation.

/ Going to buy a tractor....Between Kubota and JD....which one is more american made #48  
Buy the tractor you feel will best suit your needs, then rationalize it based on your choice of supporting information from where you think it was designed, the materials came from, the components were manufactured, sub-assembly took place, final assembly took place, decals were applied, or even which name sounds more "American."

All of the big names are global companies. There are plenty of arguments to support/rebut which of them is more "American" than the others, and all of it depends on the perception filter of the person looking at it.

/ Going to buy a tractor....Between Kubota and JD....which one is more american made #49  
I find that there are many differences in the quality of equipment including tractors. Some are built to last many years and hours of operation with little or no issues.

On the other side there are manufactures that build for less hours and of coarse more repairs.

What I often find is that those that are so proud of there product you won't find someone elses name on only the manufacturers are prouder of their work and often build a superior product.

Your telling me Kubota doesn't outsource a single position? That is absolutely impossible in todays market. The product may be unique to Kubota, but every aspect of the tractor isn't built and designed by Kubota. It is just plain out right cheaper to outsource some things, if Kubota didn't do this it would make the tractor much more expensive. And in my experience these companies do better jobs as they are in more competition and they are doing their specialty. Auto and tractor companies outsource all types of products, whether it be the glass to cover their display, or an engine. I find the opposite of what you say.

the confusion here has been that manufacturers websites are not always 100% truthful when they make that statement. Too often a guy tightening 24 lug nuts becomes "made in the USA" after the marketing dept gets ahold of it. Ya gotta read between the lines.

I'd like to know where you got this info. As I said, stuff is outsourced from all around and assembled in the US. My GMC 4500 Topkick is Made in Flint, Michigan, USA. Which is right where I live. I've toured the plant and know many people that work there. The ONLY thing they do on this line is assemble the truck. The parts come in and go together down a line. If they were to build it all in Flint, all the different places where parts were made would likely take up more than the entire city. Yes, JD assembles their tractors here - all except the 2x20's and x005's, but like anything parts come from anywhere.

*IMPORTANT*
I would like to also emphasize the importance of the design/engineering. It takes on average about 7-10 YEARS to design and engineer a car, before it goes on the road. In this process HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars are poured into design/research and engineering. When your car goes down the line it typically takes 7-10 HOURS and several THOUSAND dollars in labor and production cost.

If you've never watched the Milton Friedman I, Pencil I suggest you do so. I do realize it's based around politics, but the fundamental that one person cannot build a pencil, goes true with one country can't build a tractor. I like Deere, but I have no problem with any other brand, and have owned them. The argument is pretty weak now of where the tractor is made and even built/designed.

I would suggest you find a local dealer that will support you and a tractor that you like. Which is more American won't affect the performance - which is what really matters.

/ Going to buy a tractor....Between Kubota and JD....which one is more american made #50  
Just wanting to get in a "first time post"