Buying Advice What is the best generator for our needs?

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #31  
Yep, there are variables. At my old house, if I used a 12 ga 50' lead cord on my table saw, it would trip the breaker when starting. Using a 14 ga 25' lead cord never tripped. Sam saw, same outlet, same breaker. I've only had my generator load tested once, it checked out. I have heard some brands/models do not meet their ratings, but how often do they get tested, probably hardly ever.

I have to admit this seem counter intuitive, but i suppose the added resistance of the smaller wire would reduce the amperage possible at the expense of the motor.

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #32  
the above is with 25' vs 50'

You can also reduce the starting load on a deep well pump by setting your cut-in setpoint to a lower pressure.
For the OP: If you have a friend with a simple AC clamp on, you should have the pressure switch at the storage tank. Usually just one simple nut holds the cover on. take the cover off and put the clamp on on one of the hot wires. Cause your pump to come on and observe the reading when it first starts up.

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #33  
Our well pump is at 350' and pumps into 1000 Gallon cistern where a much smaller pump is used to pressurize. We have run the deep cistern pump with a 2.5K continuous generator. We didn't need to run the smaller pump because there is enough drop down the hill to our house for adequate pressure. Now i have a 5k - 6.5k peak generator with hardwire hook up into electric panel for selecting which circuits need to be on. Still don't power the electric hotwater heater nor electric forced air heat. We have wood stove that keeps the house warm in the winter. If i had natural gas i would convert the generator in a heart beat. Some times we can't get out to get gasoline for the generator. Longest so far with out power and stuck at the house has been 11 days but with the generator and wood heat very doable.

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #34  
Mickey - OP said they have natural gas - that would be my first choice - its inexpensive and doesn't "run out"

Carl

Don't be too quick with that thought. IF outage is out due to normal weather related things, you're most likely right. BUT if outage is due to an accident or disaster, loss of NG is a very real possibility. I had already gave thought to the availability of NG when I first posted and decided not to comment on that.

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #35  
Don't be too quick with that thought. IF outage is out due to normal weather related things, you're most likely right. BUT if outage is due to an accident or disaster, loss of NG is a very real possibility. I had already gave thought to the availability of NG when I first posted and decided not to comment on that.

Personally I like to have everything I need self contained for a power outage. Then if NG is disrupted you're ok, or if something else is going on that disrupts everything around you. Diesel is good because if you have oil heat you may have a LOT on-hand, propane is good if you have enough on hand or gas as well since its easier to get and you can have a lot on hand. I use gas and in the months most prone to outages (winter) I have a boat stored on the property, which becomes a 100+ gallon fuel storage device.

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #36  
Again that's why I'm a fan of the dual or tri-fuel approach.

It's a lot better to have several sources of power.

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #37  
Ok Guys,

I understand your rationale, just in the order of cost (purchase and operating) I would go NG first, with the potential to switch to propane, then for a backup get a used 5-6KW gas generator for $4-500. Diesel yes is a great choice but the OP said cost is a factor and would need $10K to get a decent sized diesel.

Carl

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #38  
I have to admit this seem counter intuitive, but i suppose the added resistance of the smaller wire would reduce the amperage possible at the expense of the motor.

The table saw starts with no mechanical load, so taking longer to start by adding more resistance in the line cord is OK. Once the saw is loaded by cutting wood the motor will run cooler if there is less resistance to current, I.e. a larger cord. Of course if you can't start the motor then you cannot do much cutting.

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #39  
The table saw starts with no mechanical load, so taking longer to start by adding more resistance in the line cord is OK. Once the saw is loaded by cutting wood the motor will run cooler if there is less resistance to current, I.e. a larger cord. Of course if you can't start the motor then you cannot do much cutting.

It is a 10" (I think) JET brand table saw. It reaches full rpm speed very quickly when turned on, almost instantly it seems.

/ What is the best generator for our needs? #40  
It is a 10" (I think) JET brand table saw. It reaches full rpm speed very quickly when turned on, almost instantly it seems.

The extra resistance will reduce current and will add a delay. You may not be able to perceive it.