Canes, anyone use one?

/ Canes, anyone use one? #11  
Do ya'll thik that would be a nice gift? My father isn't doing well getting around, I thought about it, but don't want to send a bad message to him. He is a proud, stubburn, old south, retired Navy veteran.
I love the hand made ones myself and have an appriciation for the craftmanship.

Last edited:
   / Canes, anyone use one? #12  
I don't have good balance when wading trout streams, I have found that the wading/hiking staff from WalMart helps a whole lot. I also have a lot of arthritis in hips and kmees and use them when walking in the woods especially on steep slopes. When my wife had both knees replaced she found she liked the walking sticks better than a cane so I always keep a couple handy. They ain't half bad for adjusting the passenger side mirror when you are by yourself

/ Canes, anyone use one? #13  
Tollster,
I think a nicely made one with his theme (Navy or?) would be thoughtful. Don't get a Walmart special. It can always be given as "if the day ever comes when you need it". But I bet he uses it as soon as you walk out the door. Good luck and thank you for taking care of your father.

/ Canes, anyone use one?
I use one to get on and off the bed of my truck. I just keep it in the back of the truck for when I might need it - helps me reach items in the back too. I also use hiking poles when backpacking, otherwise I would have had to quit one of my favorite hobbies.

I was diagnosed with arthritis about 5 years ago. It seems to be getting progressively worse. I'm not using one regularly now at 51 years old but I do see one in my future.

I had some beaver on our property 3 years ago that made a few canes for me. Nice smooth finish with an interesting design. I sometimes use it when I'm walking about.

View attachment 288177

I tend to keep away from the doctor! I use 1/4 tsp ceylon cinnamon daily in my morning coffee (with raw honey even better). It helps. Not a cure, but I don't ache at night any more when I try to sleep. I buy it by the pound from
Ceylon Cinnamon Powder - Used for European Cuisine, baking, desserts, custard, pie, ice cream, pudding, whipped cream, tea and fruit - My Spice Sage
Regular cinnamon is hard on the stomach.

Nice cane with the beaver marks!

/ Canes, anyone use one? #15  
Might have to give it a try. As my name implies I'm a pharmacist by trade, so traditional approaches are what I'm most familiar with ... but I'm open to the non-traditional treatment as well. Too many people have had good results to discount it.

/ Canes, anyone use one? #16  
One of our friends had a stroke, and now uses a cane, the simple hollow alloy kind. He's a retired engineer, and got tired of the cane falling over when leaned up against things. So he took the cane apart and put a rare earth magnet inside, now the cane sticks to the fridge, door handles, door hinges, cabinet handles, no more dropped canes.

/ Canes, anyone use one? #17  
Do ya'll thik that would be a nice gift? My father isn't doing well getting around, I thought about it, but don't want to send a bad message to him. He is a proud, stubburn, old south, retired Navy veteran.

Hard to say. My dad (87) has needed a power chair for several years, but was very resistant to the idea. He would kill any conversation about them because he didn't feel he needed one. Never mind the fact that going places he never made it far past the entrance and would find the nearest chair or bench and park himself until it was time to leave.

But, at a tractor show we went to last June he was sitting on a bench watching a couple of guys going all over the place in their power chairs. On the way home he mentioned them, and over breakfast the next day we had a nice conversation about them. Yep, it became his idea, and in less than thirty days he was the proud owner of a Jazzy 614.

So, I wish you well. As someone else mentioned, if it is a cane that reflects something he likes it may become his idea to start using a cane.

Ken

/ Canes, anyone use one? #18  

I bought my Bubba Stik for myself in 2005 or 2006. Since then I've bought 3 for Christmas presents and one for a birthday present. I don't know whether any of the recipients "use" them for what they're made for, but I think all of them apprciated and enjoyed them. I would think your dad would enjoy having one.

/ Canes, anyone use one? #19  
I carry a cane more often then use a cane.
As most TBNers know, I've got a pretty bad limp as a result of a stroke 12 years ago. The great majority of the time, I don't need it...but it comes in handy if the walks are slick.
So, I have two...one is the aluminum cane I got when I was in rehab (for the stroke), the other is an old walking stick someone gave me years ago. Nice hardwood stick, I might add.

/ Canes, anyone use one? #20  
Have you ever thought about turning your cane into a gun? I mean, why not? As long as you're carrying something like that around it might as well shoot, even if it's just a single shot. One shot is better than no shot!

Why not? Federal crime.

Cane guns are far more tightly regulated than regular guns.

Cane guns are next to last on the list:
ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - National Firearms Act (NFA) - Firearms

To do it legally?
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-firearms.html#legally-acquire-nfa

Q: How can an individual legally acquire NFA firearms?

Basically, there are 2 ways that an individual (who is not prohibited by Federal, State, or local law from receiving or possessing firearms) may legally acquire NFA firearms:

By transfer after approval by ATF of a registered weapon from its lawful owner residing in the same State as the transferee.
By obtaining prior approval from ATF to make NFA firearms.

[27 CFR 479.62-66 and 479.84-86]
Q: What is the tax on making an NFA firearm?

The tax is $200 for making any NFA firearm, including “any other weapon.”

Bruce