How self sufficient are you ? Honestly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / How self sufficient are you ? Honestly ?
You are absolutely right Grumpy.....So what could the NJ or NY residents do to survive....Well...if they knew how they could use the materials being piled up on the streets to build a campfire in their back yard ..they could use the torn out lumber to build an outhouse in the back yard...and construct a lean to or live in their house despite the notices on their door forbidding it...then forage and hunt or walk for food...I mean it beats sitting and waiting for some bureaucrat who is living 9in the Ritz Carlton to come help them..They could also pack up and leave ..move on and deal with their insurance company from their new location where they moved their family to....I mean, no way I would still be there under those circumstances...I mean , it is only a house...I would have move my family out and to another state if I had to and just started over...and dealt with insurance, fema , the govt. whoever to recover what I could ...it is unbelievable the way those folks seem trapped in the situation and don't have to be....

My girl and I were talking the night before last and commenting on how they were freezing yet they had more furniture laying in the street than they could burn in days and if the law showed up about the open fire I guess your help just arrived !

/ How self sufficient are you ? Honestly ? #12  
My girl and I were talking the night before last and commenting on how they were freezing yet they had more furniture laying in the street than they could burn in days and if the law showed up about the open fire I guess your help just arrived !

Yep, exactly right...really sad...

/ How self sufficient are you ? Honestly ? #13  
could you take care of your family and yourself in the event you had no power / water/ or communications with the outside world ?

No way and anybody who says they could are delusional. The folks in Sandy's path are getting water from the outside world. If they weren't they would all be dead by now!

/ How self sufficient are you ? Honestly ? #14  
rekees4300 said:
No way and anybody who says they could are delusional. The folks in Sandy's path are getting water from the outside world. If they weren't they would all be dead by now!

Please. Maybe YOU couldn't but there are people who are fully capable.

/ How self sufficient are you ? Honestly ? #15  

rekees...what ? You must be kidding...what I see on TV is sad and pathetic...mainly because folks have lost their survival instinct and skill and look to the govt. or someone else to support and help them even for the most basic needs of life....I think what we see by way of the reactions, lack of action and response of the folks up there is a good explanation of the election results...I fear that is the future...look to government bureaucrats to help your family...good luck with that ...not for me...not as long as I am alive....

/ How self sufficient are you ? Honestly ?
Please. Maybe YOU couldn't but there are people who are fully capable.

Wait one second ! 1st your from Indiana pretty tough people live there with all the farmers and such ,2nd you list more equipment than most ,3rd if you had a weeks notice of the STORM OF THE CENTURY HEADING YOUR WAY ,You wouldn't have say 300 gallons put up ? I re purpose a lot of other peoples throw aways and just north of Knoxville there is a guy who sells food grade 300 gallon wet containers with hard wire cages around them , I bought 3 for $45.00 a piece and want more also bought 3-55 gallons food grade drums we store rice and beans in and 3 -55 gallon steel drums for fuel at the property , If you may of missed it we are heading for super inflation in a hurry and you can call me crazy but I would rather be as self sufficient as possible rather than waiting for good ol uncle sam to come save me from myself ! I have a windmill in the works to pump water and make 12 volt electricity ,5 -100 lb tanks of propane and enough seeds to feed my family for years , It's not just about the "IMPENDING DOOM AND GLOOM " it's more a reason not to rely on someone else to be able to live !!!

/ How self sufficient are you ? Honestly ? #17  
When we had the ice storm in 98, it was rediculous how helpless MOST people were.

We got our eyes opened in the ice storm of 2009 in much of KY. Some were three weeks without power.

We got lucky being at the end of a three phase line because they got us up in 65 hours and we were on the southern edge to major damage. I ran out of gen gas after two days.

We did have dry clothes and houses in tack so there was no way were were going to 'freeze' to death. We have year around springs near the house for fresh water to drink if needed. Since we have beefed up our gas storage ability and have some propane 20 pound propane tanks with heater heads. I do need to to take the MH and top off the propane in it for cooking/heat if needed since it is parked in the driveway. Tractors are full of diesel and will top off 50 gallon step tank on F700 that we did not have in 2009. Might finally loose some weight but we could live for a month without even killing a deer, etc.

We (the community/region) could make it long term (as in years) if required with government or Red Cross. There would be some deaths like 100 years ago by the very young/old with great medical needs.

Hey if the car, truck or tractor does not start we do not wait for AAA to show up today. :D

/ How self sufficient are you ? Honestly ? #18  
I have a well and I have lots of wood. I have a generator. Without gasoline I'd be in a bit of trouble. If i had a wood stove I'd be OK on heat as I have a lot of wood and i can get more from my property and land around me. I'd be OK on food as we have a bunch put aside and I can hunt and fish for more around me if I had to. I could get water out of the well with rope and cup if I had to. As I think about it I'd be OK for some time. A wood stove would be critical to long term heat though, I could drain everything down and not worry about frozen pipes. Without my well I'd be in big trouble though over the long haul. I guess a horse would be key for transportation, we've got bikes but that would tough as it is hilly where I am. Interesting things to think about. I don't have a gun either, that would make hunting for food tougher. I guess a gun and woodstove are the two things that come to mind as being super helpful for me to be self sufficient for a long time.

/ How self sufficient are you ? Honestly ? #19  
Our house was built in 1860. Survived lots of disasters. House is on a knoll, no flooding.
2 hand dug wells on property, plenty of water. 7 acres of woods for firewood. 2 acres of
cleared land for garden. I've been in the same house since 1947. (I was 6 months old when
my folks bought the place. Been here ever since.) When I was a kid we raised sheep
and chickens. Lotsa deer and wild turkeys. Firearms and ammo.:thumbsup:

Yeah. We'd survive.;) Probably pretty well.:thumbsup: Just need to keep the inner city zombies
at bay.:eek: Oh, wait. Firearms and ammo.:cool2:

Yahoo!

Bill

/ How self sufficient are you ? Honestly ? #20  
I have propane for heat, thus the 550 gallon tank in the yard. I have a whole house genset, propane. We don't keep a lot of food around, but have enough for a few days. But if everything had been under water, maybe none of this would matter. Same with a tornado. A few years ago, a family a couple miles north of us had their house literality blown to bits by a tornado. Not a single wall was left standing. You can prep all you want, but if the ocean wipes out your house or a tornado blows it to bits, you have issues.......

Status
Not open for further replies.