wood briquets vs. standard cord wood?

/ wood briquets vs. standard cord wood? #1  

super55

Platinum Member
Tractor
Oliver Super55, John Deere 4310, John Deere 4400, Kubota L2500 (had),
Was wondering if anyone can share some knowledge/experience with burning wood bricks instead of regular split cord firewood. I just was surfing craigslists and a semi-local sawmill is selling a pallet of wood bricks (claims to be equiv. to 4 face cord) for just 20 dollars more than what I can pay for 4 face cord/rick delivered. They claim it gives the same or better btu, cleaner (no mold), less storage space and much easier to handle. Could just set a new pallet on the deck every time I need some more wood with the tractor.

My main concern is it just doesn't seem compressed sawdust that size of a masonry brick would be able to give off the same btu and burn as long as say a split 16" log. But than again I wouldn't think a wood pellet would give off much heat either but they say that because of it's density it last as long or longer than regular mother nature firewood.

I don't know anybody who burns these things or pellets so any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

/ wood briquets vs. standard cord wood? #2  
What the heck is a face cord?

/ wood briquets vs. standard cord wood? #3  
I'm on my second season of burning the wood bricks. Same thing here.....it's about $20 more for a cord of split wood equivalent in wood bricks. I store them in my garage......no bugs, mold, smell and less mess to sweep up than stacking an evenings worth of split wood. I wouldn't go back to split wood unless the price difference became huge.

Also less cleaning of the stove and they always start easily.

Each brick burns for about 45 minutes (full air flow) and keeping a steady fire going keeps the house as warm as it did with cord wood. Exact BTU comparisons though? I have no idea.

/ wood briquets vs. standard cord wood? #4  
I'm on my second season of burning the wood bricks. Same thing here.....it's about $20 more for a cord of split wood equivalent in wood bricks. I store them in my garage......no bugs, mold, smell and less mess to sweep up than stacking an evenings worth of split wood. I wouldn't go back to split wood unless the price difference became huge.

Also less cleaning of the stove and they always start easily.

Each brick burns for about 45 minutes (full air flow) and keeping a steady fire going keeps the house as warm as it did with cord wood. Exact BTU comparisons though? I have no idea.

Afternoon neighbor, Where did you buy yours from?

/ wood briquets vs. standard cord wood? #5  
I think it would take more than just one pallet to equal 4 face cords. Unless the pallet huge. It would also weigh in the 4000-5000lb range.

So...are you talking MULTIPLE pallets to equal 4 face cords?

Also, what is the wood? Hardwood? or Pine?

/ wood briquets vs. standard cord wood? #6  
I mix them with cord wood, they burn really hot, and the larger the brick (there's a variety of sizes) the longer it'll burn. You need to be very careful with your air controls tho, too much oxygen and you'll over-fire the stove.

Note, you can't "stir" them like cord wood coals, the lit brick will disintegrate. I'll mix in a couple small bricks when starting the fire and leave a large brick on the fire before going to bed. This way you get a good hot fire started and there will usually be coals to restart the fire 7-8 hours after going to bed.

The best thing about them is the zero moisture content and how hot they burn. If you have some cord wood that's a little higher on the moisture side, then adding a brick or two will ensure a good burn.

But for the buck, IMHO, you still get a better deal out of burning quality seasoned hardwood cord splits.

/ wood briquets vs. standard cord wood? #8  
I think it would take more than just one pallet to equal 4 face cords. Unless the pallet huge. It would also weigh in the 4000-5000lb range.

So...are you talking MULTIPLE pallets to equal 4 face cords?

Also, what is the wood? Hardwood? or Pine?

I have no idea what a "face cord" is but where I get mine from they claim a pallet equals roughly a cord of wood. From my limited use the comparison seems relatively accurate. I used roughly three cords of firewood over each of the previous winters and used right around two pallets of the compressed bricks last winter which was mild in comparison. It's a guess but at least it's something. :)

A pallet is 100 packages of six bricks each and weighs 2200 lbs.

/ wood briquets vs. standard cord wood? #9  
I have no idea what a "face cord" is but where I get mine from they claim a pallet equals roughly a cord of wood. From my limited use the comparison seems relatively accurate. I used roughly three cords of firewood over each of the previous winters and used right around two pallets of the compressed bricks last winter which was mild in comparison. It's a guess but at least it's something. :)

A pallet is 100 packages of six bricks each and weighs 2200 lbs.

How much is a pallet? I have never heard the term face cord either,

/ wood briquets vs. standard cord wood? #10  
A face cord is a common term in my area. It is officially defined as wood cut to 16" and stacked 4' high x 8' long or 1/3 of a true cord. You will see variation as to the length of wood so a stack that is 4' high by 8' long regardless of the length of the wood is often called a face cord.

MarkV