Smaller John Deere out pulls bigger Kubota

/ Smaller John Deere out pulls bigger Kubota
I'll add my thoughts as well. I find this thread humorous. For some reason a lot of people take these things way too personally. The op owns both machines and as such entitles him to say or post whatever he wants without being a troll. People need to just find the humor in this however it suits them.

Thank you, my point exactly. How can I be a troll if I own both brands?

No One asked my take on this, :) But here goes anyway:)..I believe that the tires on the JD are much better for certain snow conditions than the R4 tires on the 'bota. My understanding is that the tires become packed with snow, and snow on snow has a far superior coefficient of friction than hard cold rubber on snow..Look at this thread and the reports of the vast improvement by siping your R4 tires in snow conditions so that they will hold snow in the sipes.. I did mine and only had 1 snow event to test them with before I traded off the tractor, but in my mind at least they seemed to be greatly improved from what I remembered from the previous year.. The thread and the theory's about why it works make for interesting reading in any case.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/snow-removal/193438-cutting-groving-siping-r-4-a.html

James K0UA

I bought the tool to do the siping, just haven't got around to it yet. From what I heard, it makes a big difference. Its supposed to warm up next week, maybe I will give it a try then.

/ Smaller John Deere out pulls bigger Kubota #113  
I bought the tool to do the siping, just haven't got around to it yet. From what I heard, it makes a big difference. Its supposed to warm up next week, maybe I will give it a try then.

As you know the hotter the tire the better, If you can get them inside a heated building it would sure help.. I did my old Kubota last year in Jan, and it was a "warm" day for January, maybe 45 to 50 for the high, I noticed a big difference in the side of the tractor that was in the sun versus the side that was shaded.. Much harder to push the tool thru the tires in the shade.

James K0UA

to take a stab at why, i'd say that it may come down to a situation that on slippery ground (snow covered) weight was not your friend as
we always think. the compact weighs much more, and thus had to overcome it's own extra weight in addition to the trailer. combine that with
those wonderful R-4 tires on snowpack and the incline and there just wasn't enough traction to get up the hill. the lighter JD with the HDAP tire
had that much more traction under those conditions.

Carl Bert when the tractors lost traction, were you seeing grass spin up or was it just snow? neither may have been down thru the snow
into the grass/turf.

What you said makes absolute sense, and I am sure at this point, most of us agree with that theory. As far as the tires spinning, yes they did dig down through the snow into the lawn. That's why I stopped. As I said in a previous post, if I wasn't concerned about ruining the lawn, the JD would have definitely made it to the top.

As you know the hotter the tire the better, If you can get them inside a heated building it would sure help.. I did my old Kubota last year in Jan, and it was a "warm" day for January, maybe 45 to 50 for the high, I noticed a big difference in the side of the tractor that was in the sun versus the side that was shaded.. Much harder to push the tool thru the tires in the shade.

James K0UA

Thanks for the advice. In that case maybe I'll just wait for the warm weather. Problem is I only think about it when there's snow on the ground.

i think Carl 'gets' what you are trying to tell him. But for Carl the smaller Deere did a better job regardless of the difference in tractor size.
if it were me i would have grabbed forks and a piece of plywood and unloaded the trailer to carry the furniture to the front door. That would have been using the Kubota I should add.

Good idea, problem is I don't have forks. Although I can think of a dozen times when I wished I did have them. Maybe it's time to get a set. Any suggestion on brand?

/ Smaller John Deere out pulls bigger Kubota #117  
Thanks for the advice. In that case maybe I'll just wait for the warm weather. Problem is I only think about it when there's snow on the ground.

Well I am eager for you to do it and report back! I was able to push the tool thru the cool tires, it was just more effort. You can do it!:)

/ Smaller John Deere out pulls bigger Kubota #118  
I'm glad you've seen the light... I often wish that JD would make diesel motorcycles,and cars, and planes, and guns. They claim "Nothing Runs like a Deer".. They wouldn't say it if it weren't true.

"nothing runs like a Deer, When chased by a Kioti"

/ Smaller John Deere out pulls bigger Kubota #119  
"nothing runs like a Deer, When chased by a Kioti"

Ha Ha... If that's not Kioti's slogan, they should adopt it:laughing::laughing:

/ Smaller John Deere out pulls bigger Kubota #120  
First time I heard that, it was .......Nothing runs like a Deere unless chased by a Kubota.

But Kioti does sound catchy. Not sure which way it started. I have JDs, but I still get a kick out of that saying.