Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #861  
That was his (inhofle) opinion. Not informed information. Go to Hornady.com and check the FAQ page. They only have about 5% volume with the Government.

What does that have to do with the price of ammo or how hard it is to get these days? Most of the Ammo used by the government for it's operations both here in the US and around the world is made in one plant in the US. It's made in the Lake City Army ammunition plant in Independence Missouri. They are the major supplier for the needs of the US military/government and they also sell surplus ammo to the civilian market. When that surplus dries up it also dries up the availability of ammunition everywhere. Lake City produces millions/billions of rounds of Ammo every year depending on the needs of the military and have the capability of producing upward to around 1.5 billions of rounds a year if needed. They make what the government projects the needs will be and they make the ammo plus a percentage added in, in case of some unseen problem happening. So, you can see the problem for all suppliers when the Government,.....Boom! doubles or triples it's normal supply needs.

It not only dries up the reserve or surplus finished product that would normally be sold to the public but it also dries up raw materials that are needed to make up this finished product. Our government has fixed it so they get first crack and any available raw materials for their needs and what is left over get divided up among the smaller companies with the largest among them getting the lion's share of what's left and the rest just have to sit and wait for the crumbs to fall out of the system.

Some of the raw materials used for these munitions are not found just anywhere and a few are only found in a few places in other countries around the world like China and others that can cause major road blocks to the supply chain even when these countries play nice with us and don't try an hold us hostage to something they want in return.

Just the mention of a huge increase by the US government's needs will send ripples up and down the supply chain. Then add to it, a president that doesn't have to worry about getting re-elected again. We have happen, a couple tragic events where firearms are used, the control of the Senate is in the hands of a bunch of gun hating democrats, we have a willing media that has a vested interest in keeping the control of Washington in the hands of the democrats. What you have in results is exactly what we are now seeing when you go to your favorite store to buy some ammo for your shooter regardless of what it is.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #862  
87 pages... WoW! I don't know if it's been mentioned, but if you're looking for ammo try Ammoseek.com. I just bought three 550 round boxes of .22LR. A bit pricy at 99.99 a box, but I'll at least have some to give my Conceal classes with.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #863  
87 pages... WoW! I don't know if it's been mentioned, but if you're looking for ammo try Ammoseek.com. I just bought three 550 round boxes of .22LR. A bit pricy at 99.99 a box, but I'll at least have some to give my Conceal classes with.

More than tripple normal price is "a bit pricey"?

That's like paying $125,000 for a Chevy Impala. :confused2:

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #864  
More than tripple normal price is "a bit pricey"?

That's like paying $125,000 for a Chevy Impala. :confused2:

Oh do I ever agree Moss...I would never pay that for any ammo...unless I was totally out and had no choice...these companies that are ripping folks off should end up paying the price when and if all this hoarding by the govt. and folks comes to a stop...

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #865  
Yup, it's very pricy. But I furnish a Semi auto 1911 and a Ruger revolver along with the ammo. I got real short on .22LR and a friend loaned me his last box which is getting close to empty. So I had to get two for me and one to repay him. I remember paying just under $10.00 a brick for .22LR not too many years ago. So they are now ten times more expensive.

During the Hurricanes here in Florida, some of the convenience stores and motels were gouging people and the State Govt was fining them. But you don't hear the Feds complaining about the Ammo dealers gouging.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #866  
feds want there to be no ammo. called backdoor gun ban.

as for stores gouging during storms. that's illegal IF a state of emergency has been declared.

2 different issues.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #867  
What does that have to do with the price of ammo or how hard it is to get these days? Most of the Ammo used by the government for it's operations both here in the US and around the world is made in one plant in the US. It's made in the Lake City Army ammunition plant in Independence Missouri. They are the major supplier for the needs of the US military/government and they also sell surplus ammo to the civilian market.

The DHS order had a lot of .40 HP rounds, I don't believe that is made by Lake City or any of the other Army ammunition plants. Doesn't mean it has to be the 'big boys' (Remington, Federal, etc) making it either. I know a couple of small ammunition places back home in Montana fill government contracts. One has been around since I was a kid (actually started a 1/4 mile or so away in a neighbors house/barn now has a regular facility) and the other one was essentially built by the ongoing wars and plentiful government contracts.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #868  
At the last conceal carry class I helped with, the instructor was really scrounging for Ammo. He furnishes the pistol and revolver, and had an old jar full of mixed .22 rounds. We had to sort out the .22 shorts and longs from the Long Rifles so that the semi-auto pistol which will only function on long rifles would be properly fed, and the .22 shorts and long went into the revolver. The wife and I ran a bunch of people thru, and also did use my Ruger Mk2 which of course needs good .22lr ammo. There is an advantage in having a revolver that can chamber and function with anything in the .22 rimfire family (except magnums) and a good .357 magnum revolver that can chamber .357 or .38 special or even .38 long if you could find any. Well not that you can actually find anything anyway!

James K0UA

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #869  
UPS delivered 1K of Speer 223 bullets yesterday from Powder Valley. I had to go way back into the check book to even figure out when I'd ordered them! Turns out I ordered on January 3rd and it took so long I honestly forgot all about them. Normally I load hollow point or full metal jacket in that caliber, but I wanted some spitzer soft points for some unknown reason.

Took awhile to get them, but I spot checked about about 10% of them last night and they all met specs, so that's a good thing.

I did read an article yesterday where some were predicting that this shortage could run into early next year. That's just unbelievable with the current manufacturing capabilities. I know that hoarding alone would account for some of the shortages, but I guess that a lot of the new gun owners also went immediately into the hoarding panic mode which exacerbated the problem.
Before I'd pay $99.00 for 550 rounds of 22LR, I'll shoot 38 special reloads with cast bullets and save some money. I do believe that I've plenty of 22LR already to get through this problem, but I still think I'll slack up some on shooting them and just plink with reloads this summer.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #870  
My local gas and beer stop has a case that is now well stocked with over priced ammo. $155.00 plus tax for 500 22 LRs. $32 for a box of 12 guage. I'm glad I'm not anywhere close to being out. I can wait this out with ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.