Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models..

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models..
Yeah, I am going to check out some local dealers to see what they may have. Owner prices are all over the board. I have seen completely restored 8n tractors for $4k, and crapped out junkers for $3500. There are also non-running rust buckets that I wouldn't even consider listed for $1500.

Also, I have a 10k lb trailer so I can haul pretty much anything in my range.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #22  
I watched my 135 on the lot for a year before I bid 2k for it and a month went by till we settled on 2500.00.

I watched my 135 on the lot for a year before I bid 2k for it and a month went by till we settled on 2500.00.

What kind of shape was it in? Seems prices are quite high out west here, and some of the stuff is so old and beat up that I am not interested.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #24  
Not new but not dented up its a Diesel, power steering, 2 stage clutch, locking diff. Tires in good shape and runs like a Swiss watch.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #25  
don't get an 8n.. ;)

at a minimum.. look at the 55+ series. and really.. with a 6k budget. id look at a 3000 / 3600 who knows.. might get lucky and find a 3400 /3500 or a 4000

past that.. a light industrial in one of the older series will be ok too. gets you a better front axle. etc..

Thanks for the info. I don't need 4wd. I would be happy with 2wd. In fact, if I didn't want a loader, I would be happy with a real old tractor like a MF35 or even an 8n. From what I have read, the older ones really weren't designed for a loader and it is hard on them and they don't work great. I guess my sticker shock is not unfounded as I have found many articles detailing the crazy high prices of used tractors this year, some selling for well above their new prices. Perhaps this is a bad time to be a buyer. I do have the option of waiting another year or so to work on the land. Prices have exploded recently, and I could easily sell the parcel as well. It is really strange how everything is getting so expensive. I sure don't see wages increasing.

What about a mid 60's Ford 800? Thoughts?

He says this tractor has 45 hp, and it would appear to be more capable than the old N series. He does not know what "live PTO" is, and I am having a hard time finding specs on an 800. Tractor Data does not list an 800. Hmmm.

Last edited:
   / Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #27  
an '800' is a series designation.. not a model id.

800 means it is a tractor with a 172ci gas or lp engine made for model years 55-57

add in a middle digit like 4-5-6 and you get a model id. IE.. 840 is a 4spd with non live pto,, 850 is a 5spd with non live pto, 860 is a 5 speed WITH live pto via a 2 stage clutch.

801 sereis was model years 58-62 and 000 4 cyl seres were for 63-64 thus there is no mid 60's 800 etc.

bellhousing aft of the starter tells the model id and sn.. a good 8XX is about the power of 2 N :)

if you have specific questions about any of those models or series, fire away.

i'd take an 800 - anything vs an N anything...

The guy says it is a 1964. I tried to find what 800 series tractors were built in 1964, but could not. It has a loader and he has had it for over 30 years. I am trying to focus on tractors over 30hp with loaders. There is a lot of junk and beat up stuff out there. Want to find something in decent condition.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #29  
Not new but not dented up its a Diesel, power steering, 2 stage clutch, locking diff. Tires in good shape and runs like a Swiss watch.

Great buy at $2500.

/ Newbie looking for tractor, overwhelmed by number of models.. #30  
The guy says it is a 1964. I tried to find what 800 series tractors were built in 1964, but could not. It has a loader and he has had it for over 30 years. I am trying to focus on tractors over 30hp with loaders. There is a lot of junk and beat up stuff out there. Want to find something in decent condition.

As someone mentioned earlier try this site. It has a couple listed in your range,not sure about condition. This one is in WA.
MASSEY-FERGUSON 2135 Less than 40 HP For Sale At TractorHouse.com