What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or.....

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or.....
Hey Fred, I couldn't find any L3940 for sale on the web but will try the local papers. If you happen to drive by again and feel like getting the phone number I'd appreciate it. Thanks, Mike

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #22  
I couldn't find it either but there is a guy west of Hardwick with a new shop on the east side route 15. It was there Sunday afternoon when I came through. I don't live near there.

Apparently it's not on Craigslist either.

Fred

Last edited:
   / What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #23  
I have mixed brands and I like both of them with no problems to mention on either LS or Kubota. Kioti I hear are good tractors but have to find a dealer as they are scattered just like LS tractors. I don't think you would go wrong with any brand except maybe the Chinese and I think they are coming along with their quality and may soon rival the Koreans. All brands seem to have one strong point over any other, just have to find the one that you like the best with the stronger of your wants.
I will respond to the cab vs open station issue. If you think you may want one, get it factory. You can retrofit but it will double or even triple the cost from what it is extra from the factory and most of the aftermarket cabs aren't nearly as functional as the factory installed ones. I have my larger tractor with a cab and it is great for heat, cold, dust and wasp control when mowing. Visibility for FEL work is limited and nearly impossible to see when facing into the sun due to glare on the glass so everything is much by feel and guess work.
My Kubota TLB is open station and I don't think I would want a tractor with a cab for back hoe work. The cab, regardless of how well it is built does limit your visibility. If you had a back hoe with separate seat that is outside of the cab, might be ok operational wise for seeing but then it would be hard to operate without access to the tractor controls. I like my one seat operation that the operators seat swivels to the rear for back hoe work, much better than getting on and off the tractor to move. I can reach all of the tractor controls from the seat. I made a little handle to reach the HST pedal so when I need to move forward/backward, I just use the stick to push the HST pedal. I am not even sure you can get a CUT with a cab operator platform so you can operate the back hoe from inside the cab. I have only seen industrial size machines with fully enclosed operator station for tractor and backhoe.

As for baling hay, you will need 50 HP minimum heavy Ag frame tractor for even a small square baler and possibly 70 HP heavy utility if on hilly terrain. I don't think the CUT 50 HP tractors have the weight needed for a heavy hay baler even though they my have the power to turn one.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #24  
It sounds to me like you might be looking at TWO different tractors. I looked into (and still ponder at times) doing a small Hay operation, but my tractor, even with 47HP, is probably not big & strong enough to handle REAL farm work long term. I would likely have to find a smaller square or round baler, which aren't cheap, and even then it might just be too much work to ask 47HP to handle.

So, you might want to consider finding a used Ag/Utility tractor to handle your field needs, and get a Compact tractor to manage your property now, and still do the logging work you are looking to down the road. If you are sticking with Kubota, and you want the "sweet spot" ... I've seen many Kubota owners on here say that the MX4700/5100 are the way to go. Still a reasonable price. Still good power. LA844 loader lifts almost 2500lbs (so you can pick up round bales). The MX5100 is turbo charged, I think the same engine otherwise as the MX4700. But, the MX5100 comes standard with telescoping 3pt arms, which (after having tractors with both) is nearly a MUST. The downside is that the MX series is a bit more stripped and doesn't come with all the features of a Grand L (or competing brands) like deluxe seat, horn, tilt steering, etc. Also, I don't think you can get an MX with a cab.

I'm always of the mind to "have the power and not need it, than need it and not have it." I'm sure the L3800 is capable, but if this is really going to be your last tractor, up size it. Tractors will shrink after a week or 2, and you might regret getting the smaller size.

Another option to consider is HST trans or Gear (Shuttle) trans. If you step up to the Grand L series you'll get their "HST+" trans which adds more cost, but has more features than standard HST. It's up to you to decide whether or not it's worth it.

ON SNOW: I personally would NOT want to drive backwards, looking over my shoulder, for long periods of time with a rear 3pt snow blower. Talk about a sore neck & back! I agree with others that have said a blade (front or back ... I use a back blade for snow) is money "better" spent.

ON A CAB: My buddy has a L3540 with cab. Very nice. It's a life-saver for him because he has bad allergies, and brush-hogs & mows alot with his tractor. He also uses it to plow snow, so it keeps him warm. A cab definitely adds to the cost, but if you want or need one, I'm sure it's worth every penny. Having a factory cab will automatically change your operators station, widen the fenders, and give you a bit nicer "fit & finish." That's something an aftermarket cab will NOT get you.

ON "IN-HOUSE" BUILDS: (This section applies to Compact tractors... I don't know much about the builds of Ag tractors)
Kubota is all in house. So is Kioti (parent company is actually called DaeDong, and you get their DaeDong diesel). Some Mahindra's are in-house (the xx35 series). Most of LS components are in-house but with Mitsubishi diesels (I'm actually currently researching just what is & isn't with my LS out of curiosity). Massey Ferguson is mostly in-house (built by Iseki) with Mitsubishi diesels. Anyhow, I think Kubota is the "most in-house" of the brands, but there are others that are extremely close. Does that really mean anything? Arguments on both sides have merit. To me it doesn't mean anything, but I'm both right and wrong depending on which side of the fence you sit.

I've owned both LS & Kioti and they've both been great. My buddy has owned 2 Kubota's and his have been great too. Truth is, most of the tractors out there (regardless of brand or color) are built well and will handle your needs. The best way to buy one is to make a little list like this:

• What is the main chore this tractor will do, then #2 & #3 chores, etc... Some tractors will be better at certain things than others. Shop accordingly.
  • How much power do I need? The implements and implement sizes will dictate the HP requirements for your tractor. Common rule of thumb is 5-7hp per foot of implement, PTO implements use PTO hp for the measurement.
  • Do you have a budget to stick to? No point shopping for a $35000 tractor if it doesn't fit your budget.
  • Do you have access to a good dealer? Some people rate this as uber important... it's moderatly (or less) important to me personally, but each argument has merit.
  • Tractor Warranty? Some brands have better/longer warranties... may or may not be important to you.
  • Most importantly, COLOR: Which color looks the best? Blue of course! LOL, JK... who cares. But it IS blue. :D

If there is a certain budget amount you're considering, let us know and we can offer our recommendations. :thumbsup:

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #25  
A 3800 would be enough for almost everything. Some of the things that it is not big enough for can be handled by rental or hire and that will be rare. Kubota's tend to be powerful but lightweight. That can be a blessing or a curse. 500 lb. on the back of a 2200 lb. tractor is a lot different than 500 lb. on the back of a 3500 lb. tractor even if they both have the same power. Get a loader, whatever you do.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #26  
A 3800 would be enough for almost everything.
Just keep in mind that that is a subjective statement, because that might apply to you and not somebody else. What if someone wanted to run a 7 foot tiller? Then your 3800 would not be enough. I'm not bashing your tractor, I'm just pointing out that your "enough" might be somebody else's "not enough."

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #27  
A 3800 would be enough for almost everything. Some of the things that it is not big enough for can be handled by rental or hire and that will be rare.

A 3800 would slow me down significantly, and I'm not doing anything all that unusual. I've maxed out my loader, which lifts a lot more than an L3800, many times, and had to get my neighbor's Bobcat T200 to tackle a few jobs. If I could justify a tractor with an FEL that would lift 5,000lbs, I would use that capability with some frequency.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #28  
A 3800 would be enough for almost everything. Some of the things that it is not big enough for can be handled by rental or hire and that will be rare. Kubota's tend to be powerful but lightweight. That can be a blessing or a curse. 500 lb. on the back of a 2200 lb. tractor is a lot different than 500 lb. on the back of a 3500 lb. tractor even if they both have the same power. Get a loader, whatever you do.
I agree and do more with my L3800 than most do with larger tractors. :cool:

Just so folks aren't confused, the L3800 weighs more than 2200 lbs. It's 26XX lbs and about 1100 for the loader.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #29  

You agree that an L3800 would be enough for "almost anything"? Come on man, that's just silly. Tractors twice it's size aren't even capable of matching that description.

An L3800 couldn't even come close to lifting my counterweight with the FEL (which I have had to do several times), and my tractor isn't all that big.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #30  

Just so folks aren't confused, the L3800 weighs more than 2200 lbs. It's 26XX lbs and about 1100 for the loader.

LOL. .. It's a wonder they even make tractors larger than the L3800 ! Can't imagine why there would be a market for them when the L3800 can do the work of larger tractors!

----

Let's get real guys, there is a place for every size tractor, some people need tractors with more power and capabilities than others. There's nothing wrong with admitting that. I needed more tractor than my previous CK 20 , because while it was very capable, it couldn't handle all the things I needed it to do.