What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or.....

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #41  
Get a room you guys ! lol

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #42  
Some people post pictures in poor taste and get threads shut down or resort to insulting people with distasteful comments when they are frustrated. Not me, I think the OP was on the correct track in his original post and has received some good feedback.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #43  
You can usually put a small work piece in a really big vise, but you can't put a really big part in a small vise.

Having a tractor that's too small is far more limiting, for most folks, than one that's a bit bigger than needed, and nobody has suggested anything ridiculously larger. Only the OP will know if having something larger would cause him a problem, but it certainly doesn't sound like it, because if one takes the time to actually read his first post, rather than think of their personal situation, he favorably mentions the larger models.

The L3800 is 2,500lbs, has a wheelbase of 63" and a width of 55". The L3940 is 3,500lbs, has a wheelbase of 74" and a width of 66". The difference in capability is so huge as to be a pointless comparison. If he had a limiting factor like a gate, or stall width he had to work with, it might be different, but there wasn't a mention of anything along those lines.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #44  
The L3800 is 2,500lbs, has a wheelbase of 63" and a width of 55". The L3940 is 3,500lbs, has a wheelbase of 74" and a width of 66". The difference in capability is so huge as to be a pointless comparison. If he had a limiting factor like a gate, or stall width he had to work with, it might be different, but there wasn't a mention of anything along those lines.

When I went from the Bobcat CT235 to the Kubota L4240 (both are similar in size as to what is being discussed) I could not tell I am on a larger tractor as far as maneuverability. The turning radius is actually better on the Kubota.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #45  
If blowing snow is going to be a requirement and a front mount blower is something you're thinking about then the l3800 may not be a good choice since it doesn't have a mid PTO. The MX tractors also don't have a mid PTO. That would mean that the GL line would be what you would want to get is a GL series. I love the HST+ for blowing snow. Often times I'll use the H-DS option to "shift down" a gear without having to stop, shift, then start again. Things like drifts benefit from the extra power the engine can send to the blower when it a lower gear while thinner patches of snow don't need as much power so you can go faster. To me the whole point to HST is make life easier. HST+ does that just better than any other HST on the market today.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #46  
Some people post pictures in poor taste and get threads shut down or resort to insulting people with distasteful comments when they are frustrated. Not me, I think the OP was on the correct track in his original post and has received some good feedback.

That picture was wonderful and you know it lol. .. I'm not insulting you guys either. The three of you were participating in an L3800 love fest and were defending your positron so strongly that it was becoming yet another "attack the guy that has anything different to say than what we're preaching from our soapbox" scenario.

Sure would be nice if you guys could acknowledge that someone else might offer information worth considering, even just one in awhile.

I would like to think we all took the time to comment on this thread for the purpose of helping the OP make the best buying decision he can. Stop being such bullies and let someone else have an opinion.

Last edited:
   / What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #47  
In don't have an L3800 but I agree that one of the tractors the OP was comparing would do the job nicely for him. In the postings I exchanged with other members in this thread of similar mindset, I made little to no reference to other brands and certainly did not attack any other member.

In general, I think TBN is better served without insults. I suggest we talk tractors instead. There is nothing wrong with supporting your brand. I have 7 brands I own and support. Other brands I respect but don't currently own.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #48  
I think the OP would be better served with a Kioti DK -40 That can be had with a Mid Mount PTO for a front Blower and has better lift capability's.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #49  
10 +35 eventual acres= 45 acres ... add haying and the L3800 is starting to look a little small... my:2cents:

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #50  
I would look at a 40 hp tractor as the smallest to consider and would recommend a 4240 for that. I would think you would be better off with a larger tractor such as the 5740 which would do a lot more if you need to take care of 45 acres. I would also get a factory cab, HST+, mid pto and extra hydraulics. Buy it once and get it loaded.

I like my Deere 4520cab which is similar to the 5740cab in size and capabilities but don't know that one is better than the other. I would go with Kubota if it is more popular in your locale.

Unless you routinely drive a convertible in the winter and like it I would go with a cab tractor and get a pole saw to trim your way into the woods.