What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or.....

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #51  
When I went from the Bobcat CT235 to the Kubota L4240 (both are similar in size as to what is being discussed) I could not tell I am on a larger tractor as far as maneuverability. The turning radius is actually better on the Kubota.
I agree... when I was shopping for my current tractor, I went up 2 sizes. Was only going to go up 1 size (similar to a jump from a 'B' series to the 'L3800' size) and decided I should go up 1 more to not regret the purchase. I'm sure glad I did because I wouldn't have been as happy with the smaller size. Like I said before, tractors shrink EXTREMELY FAST once you get some seat-time on them. And actually, if I could have gone just a touch bigger but kept HST, then I might have done it. Like you say, once you get used to it, you really can't notice the difference in maneuverability. Naturally, a bigger tractor will ALWAYS be more cumbersome than a smaller one, just plain physics there. Harder to fit into tree'd areas, harder to maneuver and turn in tight spaces, etc.

A friend of mine pointed out that he could technically do everything with his previous B2920, as he now can with his L3540. But the difference is the time, convenience, and overall usability. Someone brought up "renting" larger equipment when the need arises. If that's the case, why not just get a BX sized Kubota, smaller implements, and rent the bigger tractor when needed? Why bother even getting the L3800 if it's not going to handle all your chores anyhow?

I still maintain (as others have pointed out) that if you're planning to do hay work, the L3800 (just like my 47hp rig) will not be big enough to handle it. If not for the hay work (including moving bales around) then the L3800 would probably be able to handle most of the work. 38hp is enough to power a 6' cutter, so you can do your brush-hogging. But, if you need to have a strong loader for loader work (and as GmanBart pointed out) you may find that you max out the loader capabilities often. I found that to be true with my previous small tractor, and I still find it now when digging stumps. Stepping up to the next series, or even the l4200 or something... can up your loader specs. Get the MX4700/5100, or the L4240/60 (I think you can get the LA854 loader with that) and you'll really step up in loader strength, WHILE keeping a relatively small footprint.

Again, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Some people have brought up "right-sizing" your equipment. Well I 100% agree with the concept, but not their logic. If it's not the right size to handle everything you need/want it to do, and you have to rent a bigger unit to do something (again not including specialty equipment) then it's NOT right-sized !

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #52  
He won't find one around here. All the upsized 40 series are long GOoOoOOOooooone from the 3 Champlain dealerships.

Fred

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or.....
OP weighing in to say I致e gotten more quality information than I could have hoped for when I threw out this post just a week ago. 50+ responses! I seriously appreciate all your time and knowledge and I致e got plenty to chew on for a couple months. The brand loyalty and HP size banter was also informative from the perspective that in addition to the size/function/cost debate it's clear there is also just plain old personal preference and noone can decide that for you. After light logging with the L2600 I知 positive the L3800 would be suitable for what I plan to do but maybe the M4700 or Kioti ?? or Mahindra ?? would be even better?! More research to do there. In an attempt to limit the endless possibilities I知 deciding that the 妬n-house build concept, access to a quality dealer and prioritizing the target chores are my top three drivers for a decision somewhere between late fall or over the winter. Plus, I知 realizing haying, even square bales, is a monumental commitment w/the implements and barn storage needed so if it comes to it I can brush hog that field year after year w/a 5-6 unit and a 35-45hp tractor until I find another farmer. Separating haying from what I need in the foreseeable future sounds like a very good idea. Still up in the air about cab/no cab, mid-PTO for snowblower or just going with front blade (no way I知 backing up 1200?, FEL capacity and backhoe size. Ultimately, I think it痴 time to begin the process of visiting various dealers for as much 都eat time as I can get and talk to some other acquaintances with tractors about their experience to date.
In the end, I値l give it my best shot and if time proves it was the wrong decision then I値l just have to suck it up and move onto the next rig and chalk it up to yet another of life痴 lessons!
Thanks again. Over and out. Mike

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #54  
OP weighing in to say I致e gotten more quality information than I could have hoped for when I threw out this post just a week ago. 50+ responses! I seriously appreciate all your time and knowledge and I致e got plenty to chew on for a couple months. The brand loyalty and HP size banter was also informative from the perspective that in addition to the size/function/cost debate it's clear there is also just plain old personal preference and noone can decide that for you. After light logging with the L2600 I知 positive the L3800 would be suitable for what I plan to do but maybe the M4700 or Kioti ?? or Mahindra ?? would be even better?! More research to do there. In an attempt to limit the endless possibilities I知 deciding that the 妬n-house build concept, access to a quality dealer and prioritizing the target chores are my top three drivers for a decision somewhere between late fall or over the winter. Plus, I知 realizing haying, even square bales, is a monumental commitment w/the implements and barn storage needed so if it comes to it I can brush hog that field year after year w/a 5-6 unit and a 35-45hp tractor until I find another farmer. Separating haying from what I need in the foreseeable future sounds like a very good idea. Still up in the air about cab/no cab, mid-PTO for snowblower or just going with front blade (no way I知 backing up 1200?, FEL capacity and backhoe size. Ultimately, I think it痴 time to begin the process of visiting various dealers for as much 都eat time as I can get and talk to some other acquaintances with tractors about their experience to date.
In the end, I値l give it my best shot and if time proves it was the wrong decision then I値l just have to suck it up and move onto the next rig and chalk it up to yet another of life痴 lessons!
Thanks again. Over and out. Mike
No problem Mike... tractor shopping is lots of fun, embrace it!

One more piece of advice if you don't mind... When talking to tractor people, especially us knuckle-heads on this forum... make sure you take everything we say "in praise" of our tractors with a grain of salt. You'll probably notice that no matter what brand people have, the VAST MAJORITY of us will say that we love our tractor, that it handles all our needs, that it does this the best, or that, or the other thing, blah blah blah. If nothing else, that shows that most modern tractors are built well and do their jobs without many problems. Most modern tractor owners are happy.

It's the guys that talk BAD about their specific tractor, or tractor manufacturer, that I would pay a bit more attention to. If 49 guys say how much they love their ABC123 tractor, but 1 guy says he doesn't like it because 'X', or that he wouldn't buy another because 'Y', etc --- that might be a bit more telling of a review than the typical "LS all the way!" or "Kubota is the only way to go" or "My JD green stops meteors" yadda yadda. Sometimes when you skim the cream off the surface, you can see what's really underneath.

Best of luck with the search, let us know what you end up with!

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #55  
Maybe no one who's happy with their equipment should waste their time posting about it.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #56  
If nothing else, that shows that most modern tractors are built well and do their jobs without many problems. Most modern tractor owners are happy.

That sums it up nicely.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or.....
TSO I like your perspective and sounds like it's well grounded in experience. Yep, I'm realizing this is going to be a process and like I said I'm trying to be cold sober about it even though I'll be a like a little boy on Christmas morning with a puppy when it finally happens. If I didn't still have young children at home I'd be checking out tractors all the live long day every weekend. As it is, I'll squeek it in here and there now that my wood is in, the garden is hibernating and ski season is still a few months away. No matter what color I end up with I'm sure I'll crow about it too - you gotta after dropping such a tidy sum right?
Cheers

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #58  
I would look at Tractorhouse.com for used models as well as new.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #59  
I would look at Tractorhouse.com for used models as well as new.

Right. And of course Craigslist. I have bought some nice equipment used at a steal compared to new. Make sure you check service records/history.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #60  
I think the OP would be best off buying a large CUT. Since he only has 11 acres of hay to make he would be best off hiring that out instead of buying a larger tractor and hay equipment.