TSC Chainsaw Sharpener

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #81  
Mount it with the sharpener sticking out over the edge so the chain can hang in a free loop under the clamp.

Clumping up the free chain doesn't work well.

Does your grinder have a reversing motor?
I notice some of the ones offered today do not.
I have a reverse switch on mine and like it. It is like filing in one direction from the outside of the tooth in on both sides.
You will get the feel of it when you do some sharpening. It is probably still an AC/DC motor so a reversing switch would be possible
if it doesn't have one.
Does the reverse really make that much difference? I haven't used a grinder yet so have no experience.

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener
Mount it with the sharpener sticking out over the edge so the chain can hang in a free loop under the clamp.

Clumping up the free chain doesn't work well.

Does your grinder have a reversing motor?
I notice some of the ones offered today do not.
I have a reverse switch on mine and like it. It is like filing in one direction from the outside of the tooth in on both sides.
You will get the feel of it when you do some sharpening. It is probably still an AC/DC motor so a reversing switch would be possible
if it doesn't have one.

Yep, that's what I am doing, mounting on the edge of the table. The little desk it just the right size. I did not want to mount on my work bench since it won't be used that often.

Not sure about the reverse but will check. I was able to get the bolts today at lunch so maybe I can get it mounted tonight.

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #83  
Does the reverse really make that much difference? I haven't used a grinder yet so have no experience.

It seems to be, to me. Others may not be that picky.
You know when you sharpen steel either with a stone or a file you are likely to get a bur if you are a bit too aggressive.
Some folks think that bur means sharp, and the bur is sharp. Easy to cut your fingers. But the bur doesn't last long when your cutting trees.
Any burs you do have you want to be balanced on the right and left teeth.
I grind so the rotation of the wheel is grinding from the outer side of the tooth down toward the center. That way there is no bur on the outer cutting edge.
Since the chain is not reversed to do the other side, just the angle of the holder is, then by reversing the motor rotation the other side is cut the same way, toward the center. That keeps a bur from forming on the outer lip of both sides. If you look at the profile of a tooth you will understand better what I am trying to say.
It is that outer edge of the side of the tooth and the front of the top of the tooth that do all the cutting. The rest is just an area to kick out the chips.
Chips are what you want. If your saw is making sawdust the blade is dull or not sharpened correctly.

My old grinder just has a toggle switch. In the center is off. Flipping it one direction causes clockwise rotation. Flipping the other way causes counter-clockwise rotation.

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #84  
Yep, that's what I am doing, mounting on the edge of the table. The little desk it just the right size. I did not want to mount on my work bench since it won't be used that often.

Not sure about the reverse but will check. I was able to get the bolts today at lunch so maybe I can get it mounted tonight.

i just mount mine on my steel work/welding bench in a set of holes i drilled for the sharpener. when im done sharpening, i remove the grinder and store it on the shelf. I do the same thing with my progressive reloading press. its only installed when i am using it. otherwise its stored away.

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #85  
i have a hf sharpener and i stick two stove bolts in the holes and then place the bolts in my vise and tighten up.this is where i do my sharping.when i am done i store in cabinet.

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #86  
It seems to be, to me. Others may not be that picky.
You know when you sharpen steel either with a stone or a file you are likely to get a bur if you are a bit too aggressive.
Some folks think that bur means sharp, and the bur is sharp. Easy to cut your fingers. But the bur doesn't last long when your cutting trees.
Any burs you do have you want to be balanced on the right and left teeth.
I grind so the rotation of the wheel is grinding from the outer side of the tooth down toward the center. That way there is no bur on the outer cutting edge.
Since the chain is not reversed to do the other side, just the angle of the holder is, then by reversing the motor rotation the other side is cut the same way, toward the center. That keeps a bur from forming on the outer lip of both sides. If you look at the profile of a tooth you will understand better what I am trying to say.
It is that outer edge of the side of the tooth and the front of the top of the tooth that do all the cutting. The rest is just an area to kick out the chips.
Chips are what you want. If your saw is making sawdust the blade is dull or not sharpened correctly.

My old grinder just has a toggle switch. In the center is off. Flipping it one direction causes clockwise rotation. Flipping the other way causes counter-clockwise rotation.

Pretty sure it's an ac motor, not made to be reversible. Sparks and grit fly rearward-away from the user. I think it could get a bit nasty if it ran backwards and shot the debris toward you.

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #87  

In any case, wear a plastic face shield.
Even when the wheel is turning in the direction that throws the sparks back toward the machine they can bounce back and burn you.

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #88  
A little trick I read about in a small engine mag was to take a rectangular magnet and place behind the grinding wheel to "catch" shavings. Really helps cut down on the mess at the rear of the grinder.

/ TSC Chainsaw Sharpener
Okay, I got it mounted to the small desk and it seems to be at a good working height when sitting in a chair.

According to the information sheet that came with my chain I need a set up like 60* 25*. I am thankful I always keep the package my chains come in and when switching out I put the old chain back in the package and hang it on the wall.

The instructions with the sharpener does not give much information on the angles needed. So after looking at several different ways of setting it up I decide to look at the actual chain package and the information sheet inside tells exactly what set up you need for the chain number you bought/use.

I was going to sharpen one last night but the wife says "no grinding smell in the basement":(. So I hope to try one chain in the next day or two and see how it cuts Saturday before sharpening the rest of them.

See pictures below.

David

Attachments

• IMG-20131216-00071.jpg
    IMG-20131216-00071.jpg
    485.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG-20131216-00072.jpg
    IMG-20131216-00072.jpg
    474 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG-20131216-00073.jpg
    IMG-20131216-00073.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 137
   / TSC Chainsaw Sharpener #90  
Okay, I got it mounted to the small desk and it seems to be at a good working height when sitting in a chair.

According to the information sheet that came with my chain I need a set up like 60* 25*. I am thankful I always keep the package my chains come in and when switching out I put the old chain back in the package and hang it on the wall.

The instructions with the sharpener does not give much information on the angles needed. So after looking at several different ways of setting it up I decide to look at the actual chain package and the information sheet inside tells exactly what set up you need for the chain number you bought/use.

I was going to sharpen one last night but the wife says "no grinding smell in the basement":(. So I hope to try one chain in the next day or two and see how it cuts Saturday before sharpening the rest of them.

See pictures below.

David

Here is the one I got back in the 1970's. Looks very similar to yours. ( I added the light)
I have worn out 4-5 chainsaws and been through many chains over the years, but this thing just keeps on
going. I have mounted lockable or retractable casters under most of my shop tools, including this one, for easy mobility
and storage when not in use.

I'm going to have to purchase a new light weight chainsaw soon. Any suggestions?
Are any made with adjustable carbs these days?