Looking for tractor advice

/ Looking for tractor advice #1  

grayswan

Tractor
none
Hi there,

I've been looking at this site for a few days and you all seem to really know you're stuff so I thought I'd get some advice from anyone nice enough to offer it.

My wife and I found and bought our dream land last October in northeast Vermont, Essex county. 30 acres on the southeast side of a gently sloping hill with amazing mountain views. The land has been completely deforested except for about 20-30 huge spruces which I'm happy leave alone for the most part. All the stumps remain except where a 1500 ft road was cut in to a house clearing at the highest point. The elevation goes from about 1500' to about 1650'. The grading of the property starts off relatively flat and twists to a 15-20 degree grade towards the far end. There are many small streamlets that run through the property, some of which come together and flow down the side of the driveway from the house clearing to the bottom of the hill where they had washed out the drive way in two places. I had the sellers put in two culverts last October to deal with this. The plan was to come up after the winter and build a small cabin at the house clearing and then start to work the land. However when we got there this last may, both culverts had been washed out and there was two 6' wide ditches across the driveway where they'd been. So that's the background story...

So I need to repair the culverts, keep the 1500 driveway usable, remove the majority of the stumps, terrace about 1/3rd of the property for gardens and fruit trees (we're big permaculture / sepp holzer fans), build at least two 20-30ft fishponds / reservoirs, till up about 5-8 acres for field planting, move more rocks than I can count, and other uses that I haven't foreseen.

So I'm trying to determine what kind of tractor / excavator or combination thereof I should buy for my needs.. or if I should hire the bigger parts of this work out. However I'd much rather come up with justification for buying the equipment (used) and doing the work myself. I'm in my 30s and hard work doesn't scare me but I do want to go about this as cost conscious as I can. With all the work I need to have done it seems like it might be cheaper to buy the equipment and do it myself but I just don't have the experience or the knowledge to know if this work would be cheaper to hire out. Also I will need farming equipment to work the land even after the terraforming is done so that is a consideration as well. Any recommendations, ideas and opinions are very welcome. Thank you for reading.

/ Looking for tractor advice #2  
Welcome! Congrats on your dream land.

What you describe--30 acres with just 20-30 large spruce--is part of the driveway washout problem. Trees, and the vegetation that grows below them, soak up a lot of runoff and hold ground moisture. It is a bit surprising by current forestry practices that your 30 acres would be allowed to be cut that hard given the amount of drainage you have.

Part of your mission will be to repair that situation with well-placed permanent plantings in the drainage areas. Blackberries, red raspberries, and American elderberry are useful plants that come to mind. Fruits in the currant family should be checked with Vermont's forestry folks. They may be restricted due to white pine blister rust. Cornell Fruit Resources, Cornell University

The culvert washouts can be helped with better techniques and rip rap rock, you have an on-site supply of free rocks that you can place to protect the culverts. It's just a matter of doing it right and taking the time and effort.

It would be a good idea to map out the 30 acres to scale in grids, then survey each grid for the conditions. Knowing the soil quality and depth would be very useful in planning your growing efforts and give you an idea of how much tillable land you have to work with. It would also help with developing an overall water drainage and ponds goal.

The house clearing at the upper end gives the best views but it may not be the best location for a house. Think about your long-term energy strategies too. You need easy proximity from the house to things like a greenhouse/hoop house, kitchen garden, you may try some aquaculture too.

Figuring out those types of things will help you decide about equipment needs. I'll guess you could make long-term use of a good construction grade backhoe like a Case 580 or Deere 310/410, perhaps augmented by hiring out some excavator or bulldozer jobs now and then.

/ Looking for tractor advice
Excellent points thank you! Regarding mapping the land out in grids, I'm extremely interested in doing that. I'm not sure about the best way to do that though. I was thinking that some aerial photography would allow me to create a 3d texture map of the land using available elevation mapping online. Is that what you were thinking of or do you know of a surveying service that could accomplish this goal? I don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to. Thanks!

/ Looking for tractor advice #4  
Excellent points thank you! Regarding mapping the land out in grids, I'm extremely interested in doing that. I'm not sure about the best way to do that though. I was thinking that some aerial photography would allow me to create a 3d texture map of the land using available elevation mapping online. Is that what you were thinking of or do you know of a surveying service that could accomplish this goal? I don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to. Thanks!

If your Google Earth image is reasonably up to date, I would use that for starters. It doesn't need to be so exact that you would hire a surveyor which would be expensive. There is an add-on feature in Google Earth that will calculate the area of a space you draw a line around with your mouse. It also will provide point-to-point distances for free. Maybe you could use existing stumps, trees, driveway, etc. as reference points to relate where what is on the ground to what is on the screen image. Try it out.

Printed topographic maps are available at low cost from the USGS although the printed maps are getting replaced by GIS info. http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/b2c/...rea=2&ctype=areaDetails&carea=0000000009)/.do

Or, there are handheld GPS units that will show distance and area on the ground using your waypoints such as stakes you put in as reference points and walk from/to. You don't need a high cost unit suitable for surveying, there are units used by foresters and land contractors that will be accurate enough for your purposes.

yeah I wish google earth would update. Trees have been cut for 2 years but it still shows nothing but forest. I'll check out the handheld GPS units. Thanks.

/ Looking for tractor advice #6  
yeah I wish google earth would update. Trees have been cut for 2 years but it still shows nothing but forest. I'll check out the handheld GPS units. Thanks.

We (finally) got a refreshed Google Earth image last September. Whoo hoo. :laughing: Until then it was just a fuzzy useless blob.

I found this JCB on craigslist nearby. Looks similar to a deere 410. Can I get your opinion on it and anything I should ask the seller about it?
1973 jcb 3d2

/ Looking for tractor advice #9  
Welcome to TBN from Jeffersonville vt

That JCB is a beast

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet