Sizing a jack and jack stands

/ Sizing a jack and jack stands #11  
I recently purchased a tractor and a trailer and want to have an appropriately sized jack and jack stands on hand in case I need to work on them. Actually, the trailer could use a couple of new tires.

Am I correct in assuming that the jack and jack stands need to support roughly half the weight of the object they're lifting?

The tractor with RimGuard and front end loader weighs about 6600 lbs; the trailer weighs about 5250 lbs. Would a 2- to 3-ton jack and stands would allow an adequate safety margin?

Thanks,
Chris
Yes but no. If you find yourself unable to use common sense, thereby jacking too near the horizontal location of the center of mass you will need a jack with capacity closer to the total weight. Of course jacking or jackstanding anywhere near this position presents an unstable construct ... balancing on a single point. You will do fine with a 3T jack.

Jackstands have to be considered for their capacity AND inherent height range and base stance. You will need a set of 6T as well as the smaller sets. You will pay for the 6T. The smaller ones are cheap.
larry

/ Sizing a jack and jack stands #12  
A quick search shows there is confusion about jack stand ratings being per pair or each. Some are one way, some the other. Try to get that information from your jack stand source.[snip]

Good point. I used a pair of 6 ton Harbor Freight jack stands to lift the rear, and later the front, of a 14+ K lb motor home a few years ago for a brake job. HF's website says a pair of the 6 ton will handle 12 K lbs. 6 Ton Jack Stand Set I did not work under the RV while doing this, though. Jacking was done with HF's 4 ton jack. I've not used either the jack or the jack stands yet on my Kioti NX4510HST Cab with loader and filled rear tires. But seems to me that this combination would be quite sufficient.

/ Sizing a jack and jack stands #13  
From HF:

HFjackStands.jpg

Bruce

/ Sizing a jack and jack stands #14  
Good point. I used a pair of 6 ton Harbor Freight jack stands to lift the rear, and later the front, of a 14+ K lb motor home a few years ago for a brake job. HF's website says a pair of the 6 ton will handle 12 K lbs. 6 Ton Jack Stand Set I did not work under the RV while doing this, though. Jacking was done with HF's 4 ton jack. I've not used either the jack or the jack stands yet on my Kioti NX4510HST Cab with loader and filled rear tires. But seems to me that this combination would be quite sufficient.
6T ... 12K#. Makes sense. :confused3:

/ Sizing a jack and jack stands #15  
Whenever I use jack stands for repairing my vinetage cars or my tractors I always use a backup also which is usually 3' long pieces of railroad ties or wood 12" x 12" blocks stacked. One can never be too safe.

/ Sizing a jack and jack stands
Wow. There are quite a few factors I hadn't considered.

…jacking too near the horizontal location of the center of mass you will need a jack with capacity closer to the total weight.[/QUOTE[

Aren't there designated hard points where a jack can be positioned to lift the tractor without causing damage, like with my car? Or are they strong enough that they can be jacked anywhere underneath? Or is the center of mass movable, such as if I need to perform emergency maintenance in the field and the nature of the problem makes it impossible to disconnect an attachment from the 3-point-hitch?

Thanks,
Chris

/ Sizing a jack and jack stands #17  
No special designated hard points. I would jack from the axle housing or other visually massive parts of the assembly to be safest. You dont want to apply intense pressure in the center of a broad flat expanse. If in doubt put a section of 2x6 on the jack saddle as a cushion.
larry

/ Sizing a jack and jack stands #18  
Whenever I use jack stands for repairing my vinetage cars or my tractors I always use a backup also which is usually 3' long pieces of railroad ties or wood 12" x 12" blocks stacked. One can never be too safe.

I agree 100%

/ Sizing a jack and jack stands #19  
Jackstands are rated in pairs.

I use 6ton for everything. Not only for capacity but for added working height.

Get good stands. Not cheapies from Princess Auto or HF. I had some PA 6 Tonners colapse on me. Luckily I wasnt under when it happened, but was sitting a truck down on one side before moving over to the other so the stands were unevenly loaded. It was only a f150 though.

Im using ones by Napa now that are 7 ton and ASME rated.http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...cheting-Jack-Stands/_/R-NLE7915160_0344221454 They are substantially better made than the cheap chicoms and not that much more money considering they are a safety item. I also have a set of really oldskool made in the USA Blackhawk 6 tonners that are decent.

Just came across these ones that look real nice. Canadian made too which is rare. Pin style though. Wonder what the price is like? Request Rejected

EDIT: Catalog price doesnt look that bad for a NA made product. Price per 1 stand though. Request Rejected

/ Sizing a jack and jack stands #20  
You'd think that there would be consistent standards for that sort of thing.
That would take Gubbamint intervention. In this day and age with the need for less big brother, buyer beware.