Sizing a jack and jack stands

/ Sizing a jack and jack stands #21  
Jackstands are rated in pairs.

I use 6ton for everything. Not only for capacity but for added working height.

Get good stands. Not cheapies from Princess Auto or HF. I had some PA 6 Tonners colapse on me. Luckily I wasnt under when it happened, but was sitting a truck down on one side before moving over to the other so the stands were unevenly loaded. It was only a f150 though.

Im using ones by Napa now that are 7 ton and ASME rated.http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...cheting-Jack-Stands/_/R-NLE7915160_0344221454 They are substantially better made than the cheap chicoms and not that much more money considering they are a safety item. I also have a set of really oldskool made in the USA Blackhawk 6 tonners that are decent.[snip]

Scooby, I was curious about your experience with the Princess Auto 6 ton jack stand, so I called PA technical support to find out how they rate them. What an eye opener for me. Turns out that the PA 6 ton stands only have the capacity of the Harbor Freight 3 ton stands, and the PA 12 ton stands have the capacity of HF 6 ton. I suspect the quality is similar, if not the same, and that the difference is in the rating method. PA rates their stand only as a pair, so each stand is individually rated at only 3 tons. They don't say that on their website, though, and you won't find it in their product manual. By contrast, Harbor Freight rates their 6 ton stands individually, thus capable of supporting 12,000 lbs as a pair, with the load evenly distributed across them.

Also, HF claims their stands meet ASME standards. Here's the manual for the 3 and 6 ton models. See p. 2. http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/61000-61999/61196.pdf

/ Sizing a jack and jack stands #22  
Scooby, I was curious about your experience with the Princess Auto 6 ton jack stand, so I called PA technical support to find out how they rate them. What an eye opener for me. Turns out that the PA 6 ton stands only have the capacity of the Harbor Freight 3 ton stands, and the PA 12 ton stands have the capacity of HF 6 ton. I suspect the quality is similar, if not the same, and that the difference is in the rating method. PA rates their stand only as a pair, so each stand is individually rated at only 3 tons. They don't say that on their website, though, and you won't find it in their product manual. By contrast, Harbor Freight rates their 6 ton stands individually, thus capable of supporting 12,000 lbs as a pair, with the load evenly distributed across them.

Also, HF claims their stands meet ASME standards. Here's the manual for the 3 and 6 ton models. See p. 2. http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/61000-61999/61196.pdf
Difference? 12000 as a pair or 3T each? :confused2:

/ Sizing a jack and jack stands #23  
Difference? 12000 as a pair or 3T each? :confused2:

Spyder, thanks for catching this. You're quite right. The HF rating of 12,000 lbs of balanced load per pair does indeed equate to 3 tons per stand. So PA and HF are rating comparable stands the same way after all. My apologies to the Princess! :laughing:

/ Sizing a jack and jack stands #24  
Don't buy jack stands from horrible freight. I have bought some things there and sometimes they work and sometimes they break. I don't want something I trust my life with coming from there. Other things it doesn't matter much if they break I can take them back for the lifetime warranty but generally it isnt pretty when jack stands fail.

/ Sizing a jack and jack stands #25  
Forget the jack stands: use what the professionals* use. Concrete blocks and bricks.

(*Professional thieves. You can't drive around this town without seeing vehicles with no wheels sitting on blocks)

/ Sizing a jack and jack stands #27  
Don't buy jack stands from horrible freight. I have bought some things there and sometimes they work and sometimes they break. I don't want something I trust my life with coming from there. Other things it doesn't matter much if they break I can take them back for the lifetime warranty but generally it isnt pretty when jack stands fail.

If you've bought much at HF, I don't doubt you've had spotty experiences on some of their stuff, as I have once in awhile. I've noticed, though, that they seem to have upped their game on quality control on a lot of the mechanics' tools and equipment they offer. As for their ratchet jack stands, I've used both their 3 ton and 6 ton stands for years, on cars, trucks, tractors and (the 6 ton) a 15K lb motor home for years. I think they are quite good. Not just a good value, but good in fact. As has been noted, though, ratchet-style stands are vulnerable to sharp bumps to the ratchet lever that can cause unintended release. :eek: If I'm going to be doing much more than draining engine oil, trans or hydraulic fluid, I add additional support.

/ Sizing a jack and jack stands #28  
Note: The stand is only as good as the ground it's sitting on.

/ Sizing a jack and jack stands #29  
Forget the jack stands: use what the professionals* use. Concrete blocks and bricks.

(*Professional thieves. You can't drive around this town without seeing vehicles with no wheels sitting on blocks)

:laughing: Hollow-core blocks and bricks, of course, for the professional thieves. You can't expect them to carry around solid-core materials and still move as quickly!

/ Sizing a jack and jack stands #30