When Change #2 to #1

/ When Change #2 to #1 #21  
Well, I suppose to some degree. But moisture and associated problems have been more prevalent with ULSD. I go thru over 20,000 gallons of diesel a year. I have learned to really watch for things, and icing has cropped up more as an issue since ULSD came on the scene. Not some sort of boogyman waiting to get you, but one must be a little more diligent in how they do things.

Any thoughts on how removing sulfur increases problems with water? Does the industry acknowledge this issue?

/ When Change #2 to #1 #22  
If memory serves, the refinery uses water to remove the sulfur. I am thinking that was on another TBN thread from awhile back.

/ When Change #2 to #1
I use "Mr Funnel" fuel filter that removes any water contamination, as I pour the diesel into the Kubota tank. Just another precaution to avoid such troubles.

/ When Change #2 to #1 #24  
If memory serves, the refinery uses water to remove the sulfur. I am thinking that was on another TBN thread from awhile back.

I was curious so looked it up on Wikipedia. I find no mention at all of water in the process: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrodesulfurization . I wonder if 1) there is really more water contamination of ULSD than previous formulations. Certainly there are some additive companies that want us to believe that (ULSD | Kinetic Fuel Treatment ) but is 0.2% water content of diesel fuel really an issue or not??? If the water is there because diesel is hydroscopic then presumably a lot of that 0.2% is actually not free water at all. Perhaps repeated hot/cold spells would cause some of the water to separate and that would be an issue.

/ When Change #2 to #1 #25  
Sulfur has nothing to do with water, nor is water used to remove sulfur.

/ When Change #2 to #1 #29  
In NE Kansas, when do the fuel retailers change from #2 to #1? I asked two of the legal (?) alien attendants, and they had no idea what I was asking.

It is 80 something today, but that's not normal for this time of year.
I asked the same question in the Northeast forum as I had the same experience: none of the attendents at three stations had the slightest clue, including two of them that sell off-road diesel as well. I meant to call Irving Oil to ask, have not done so.

I use Power Service White year round anyway.