3Pt wood chipper help!

/ 3Pt wood chipper help!
Well you really have me thinking now. It would save me some cash.
If I cut it down to about 28" collapsed I should be OK. I saw youtube has a video walking you through it.

Thank you!

/ 3Pt wood chipper help! #42  
I just had the opposite case. Too short. The advice given me was the collapsed length should be 3" shorter than the mounted length at normal operating height.
This accounts for the compression.
And when mounted at same operating height, there should be at least 6" overlap inside. This covers the extension.
I cut mine with a sawzall and cleaned it up with a flat file.

/ 3Pt wood chipper help!
Thank you! I will keep that in mind when I am ready to cut..

/ 3Pt wood chipper help! #44  
I just had the opposite case. Too short. The advice given me was the collapsed length should be 3" shorter than the mounted length at normal operating height.
This accounts for the compression.
And when mounted at same operating height, there should be at least 6" overlap inside. This covers the extension.
I cut mine with a sawzall and cleaned it up with a flat file.

Oh yeah, leave it as long as possible in case you decide to use a quick hitch later. That quick hitch will set the implement back 5-6". (That was my problem for PTO shaft being too short)

/ 3Pt wood chipper help! #45  
If needed, they are fairly easy to lengthen too... I lengthened this one, for my rotary cutter,

standard.jpg

SR

/ 3Pt wood chipper help! #46  
Thank you!
I decided not to cut that PTO.
I am looking at shorter PTO's. I notice some have HP stated on them. Is this a HP requirement or maximum?
Do I have to make sure I do not buy a PTO that is to weak for my JD 4700 (PTO HP of 40)??
I need a 31" PTO 1 3/8 - 6 Spline. I saw one at Tractor Supply Weasler #14006127 15HP@540 RPM. Would this PTO be to small?

Thank you for your help!

The PTO shaft HP rating is the manufactures maximum recommended PTO HP to use with that shaft for long service life. For your tractor with its 40 HP @ 540 RPM PTO, you would want to use a CAT 4 PTO shaft (35 - 60 Hp). The other thing you need to watch is the angle of the PTO shaft. Anything more than 15 degrees while rotating will put excess stress on the u-joints.

/ 3Pt wood chipper help!
Guys thanks for your feedback. Thanks for the CAT 4 explanation and the 15* angle. The next time I get to the cabin I will check all my measurements and be sure to check my angle. I may have to build a stand for the chipper like was mentioned in n earlier post.

/ 3Pt wood chipper help! #48  
I'm not sure why you would not want to cut it other then the thought of maybe needing it longer in the future. If you buy a new one you very likely will have to cut that one as well. If you have one that's too long for your use it's worthless right? Just make sure you don't take off too much, take your time and you should be fine.

/ 3Pt wood chipper help! #49  
I had to lift my used Jinma WAY up to get the driveline somewhat level. I added 10" legs to the base in 4 corners and then welded on skids like Woodmax has. The Jinma is rated for like 40 pto maximum and I'm driving it with 90 pto so I added a Weasler slip clutch so I didn't destroy it.

Most non commercial pto chippers are meant for compact tractors. My tractor is anything but compact....and I'm using the smaller of the two I have.

/ 3Pt wood chipper help!
Now that you guys helped me with the series PTO I should be using with my tractor,
I have another question. I am hoping someone can help me with. How can I tell what series the PTO is that was sent to me with the wood chipper.
Because they did not know what size tractor I was going to use.