Will this hold 20yds of loam?

/ Will this hold 20yds of loam? #11  
   / Will this hold 20yds of loam?
I had him deliver one load. Could barely see the top of the mound above the boards so my guess is 18-20yds. I should have measured as suggested. Regardless, I doubt I'll get more.

Unfortunately, it common practice here to mix a lot of sand into loam. He claimed 10-15% compost mixed in but did not know the sand percent. After putting my hands on it, there is too much sand for many of my purposes (won't hold moisture even it I fix the pH). I've made that mistake before!

So I'll use it for good clean fill. I've had a heck of a time finding field loam (organic, uncut soil).

$375 I probably should not have spent. :confused3:

/ Will this hold 20yds of loam? #13  
I wonder if you could add some more compost, or aged steer manure to it, in order to get the mix you want. Around here we can get mushroom compost, very nice stuff.

/ Will this hold 20yds of loam? #14  
The soil used for tree wells in streetscapes will typically have 30 percent sand as part the mixture

/ Will this hold 20yds of loam? #15  
My experience has been that the loader is the one who guesses just how much they put into a dump truck (unless they use scales). Usually the loader bucket has been measured (the ones I've seen have the measurement numbers welded onto the bucket). The operator just counts the number of buckets loaded and adds extra for the amount of extra heaping over the top of the bucket. Around here the tandem axles are either 14 or 18 yards depending on how high the sides are. I think most tri-axle dumps are 21 yards. Of course weight does play an issue, as other said. Even when I get a tri-axle load of crusher run they rarely fill it to the top because of the weight limitation.

/ Will this hold 20yds of loam? #17  
So I'll use it for good clean fill. I've had a heck of a time finding field loam (organic, uncut soil).

$375 I probably should not have spent. :confused3:

Your state DOT has specifications for material that is used on its jobsites. so topsoil that would be used will have specifications concerning clay/sand/organics etc percentages. Find the technical name for the material you want and then call around asking for that specific material. The upside is you can request documentation for the load.

Remember when ordering to tell them that youll be requesting a copy of the scale ticket. (they should have one to give you) that way you know your buying 15 ton. Some materials are sold by the yard, but again if you stick to state regulated materials, they will also list what the official conversion rate is (tons per yd) It could weigh more/less but the point is the yard is certified to supply that material. They generally arnt willing to fudge the "mix" for fear of loosing certification for that material. (serious loss of sales and time and $$ to recert)

/ Will this hold 20yds of loam? #18  
Nobody gets that serious about dirt around here. Well maybe like you said the DOT or things like that but I have sold hundreds of loads of topsoil and fill dirt to private individuals and no one has ever questioned the composition or quantity. I sell my loads as 12 yards but actually they probable get closer to 13. I don't have a scale and often we load the trucks with two machines at once so counting buckets isn't going to work too well. The topsoil I sell is just that topsoil I dug up at my property and the fill dirt comes from deeper down and has caliche and sand, etc. No rocks. I sell it for $100 a load for the fill dirt and $200 a load for the topsoil , delivered.

/ Will this hold 20yds of loam?
Your state DOT has specifications for material that is used on its jobsites. so topsoil that would be used will have specifications concerning clay/sand/organics etc percentages. Find the technical name for the material you want and then call around asking for that specific material. The upside is you can request documentation for the load.

Remember when ordering to tell them that youll be requesting a copy of the scale ticket. (they should have one to give you) that way you know your buying 15 ton. Some materials are sold by the yard, but again if you stick to state regulated materials, they will also list what the official conversion rate is (tons per yd) It could weigh more/less but the point is the yard is certified to supply that material. They generally arnt willing to fudge the "mix" for fear of loosing certification for that material. (serious loss of sales and time and $$ to recert)

Thank you for the advice but this is NH. Even if regulations like that exist, they certainly are not enforced. MAYBE in southern NH which is basically an extension of Mass.
We don't have sales or income tax here to pay for an inspector anyway.

/ Will this hold 20yds of loam? #20  
Thank you for the advice but this is NH. Even if regulations like that exist, they certainly are not enforced. MAYBE in southern NH which is basically an extension of Mass.
We don't have sales or income tax here to pay for an inspector anyway.

If you have sand mixed in the soil, you probable have a DOT mix already