Thoughts on splitting a brand new tractor?

/ Thoughts on splitting a brand new tractor? #11  
That's what the warranty is for ... Let the dealer fix it. If you need something until then, see if he'll give you a loaner. Best of luck!

/ Thoughts on splitting a brand new tractor? #12  
Badkuip-kromme.jpg

This "bathtub" curve is an illustration of typical automotive/construction/farm machinery reliability. Failure rate is higher at the start (infant mortality), then proceeds at a stable "random failure" rate until end of life (wearout). The warranty is there to resolve the problems in the infant mortality portion of the curve.

Your tractor and its components were designed by humans, built by humans, and assembled by humans. Humans are not infallable. That is why you have a warranty. Have it repaired and be happy you got a new tractor with a warranty so the dealer can resolve the problem. Splitting the tractor is not a problem if done right. You will likely be surprised at how many tractors are split before leaing the factory to repair a problem like yours that was discoered on startup - and you would neer hae any idea that it happened as painnt covers all wounds.

/ Thoughts on splitting a brand new tractor? #13  
Just had some 'warranty' work done on my CK27. Bad fuel injector which leaked and caused a hydrolok on the #3 cylinder. Had to get the cylinder completely rebuilt and new nozzle. Kioti honored its warranty....at the cost of $3200. Take the tractor back to the dealer..... thats why we have a warranty !! I live in Downers Grove, IL but the tractor is at our home in Tenn. Where did you buy the tractor at ? I didn't know there was a Kioti dealer near us.

Good Luck

/ Thoughts on splitting a brand new tractor? #14  
Having such a major malfunction at 20 hours, it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask for a new replacement tractor IMHO. I don't think I would want it back after it's been split apart, like others said, designed by humans, built by humans and stuff will happen. I wouldn't want all that shouldn't have been necessary work being done to my bran new tractor by dealer mechanics.

I've had issues with motorcycle mechanics screwing up a normal oil change resulting in me needing a new motor. I would be very uncomfortable with mechanics making my bran new tractor 2 pieces.

/ Thoughts on splitting a brand new tractor? #15  
Man you guys are tough on Sirrobinhood. I agree that warranty is to fix things like this and he has no legal grounds for a new tractor, but if I were the OP, I'd be feeling the same way. It's a brand new tractor and it is pouring out fluid. Another issue is down time, since warranty does not cover that either. If they swap him a new tractor, he has essentially no down time.

However, if we all got a new tractor every time a low hour machine had a bad leak, the manufacturers would have to build a lot more margin into the machines to cover this expense. So we would pay more. It's a compromise of sorts.

I think you need to let them fix it, but your expectations should be a prompt repair and no evidence once done that it had ever been apart. They can split the tractor in a couple or a few hours, find the problem, overnight the parts and have you going in just a few days.

I will say if they get in their and are flummoxed, and want to try this or that to see if they can fix it, I'd then say they need to experiment with their own tractor, not yours and I would then ask for a swap. But likely it is a seal or o-ring or something simple. Maybe a flawed part, maybe installed wrong, but probably no big deal.

Best of luck.

/ Thoughts on splitting a brand new tractor? #16  
No way you are getting a new tractor, I had one do the same thing, only less leakage and the dealer picked it up, split it and years later, no problems. I have mechanics in my family and I've gone in one of their shops with a tractor split and parts all over, only way we could afford machines was to buy, fix and run.

/ Thoughts on splitting a brand new tractor? #17  
Having such a major malfunction at 20 hours, it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask for a new replacement tractor IMHO. I don't think I would want it back after it's been split apart, like others said, designed by humans, built by humans and stuff will happen. I wouldn't want all that shouldn't have been necessary work being done to my bran new tractor by dealer mechanics.

I've had issues with motorcycle mechanics screwing up a normal oil change resulting in me needing a new motor. I would be very uncomfortable with mechanics making my bran new tractor 2 pieces.

If you had a "mechanic" screw up your engine during an oil change, he wasn't much of a mechanic.
I worked in a compact equipment factory for 12 years and "new" does NOT mean that it hasn't already been repaired. I agree 100% that the warranty is for the beginning to cover glitches. Factories have failures before it makes it outside and yes, even catastrophic ones. Let them fix it and put it behind you. Schmitt happens. If they DON'T fix it right, you have a lemon style complaint.

/ Thoughts on splitting a brand new tractor? #18  
You know, warranties could be designed to give you a new tractor if it has a problem in the first XX hours. Just like car insurance could be designed to buy you a brand new car when you wrecked your old beater. It is just math, but the consumer pays for it always. None of us want to pay a bunch more for our tractor, so we live with the occasional disappointment. I bet the dealer fixes it fast and properly.

/ Thoughts on splitting a brand new tractor? #19  
I think a lot of this has to do with the quality of the dealership. Do you trust them? Does their shop have a good reputation? How have they responded so far? If all of this has been positive then press on and let them fix it. If they have been defensive, slow, difficult or, in this situation anything, but apologetic, prompt and extremely helpful I'd press them very hard, possibly even with an attorney. This is not a small issue, this qualifies as catastrophic failure (unusable machine, high potential for other damage.) And regardless of their attitude I'd expect and demand priority service which means free pick up and delivery, rapid repair turnaround and a loaner (if you actually need one). If it is not working out that way, contact the manufacturer sooner rather than later.

Finally, given that this happened early in the life of the machine I would demand a written warranty on the repairs and anything that they could affect to extend from the time of the repair through the time of the original warranty. In other words, your full drivetrain warranty begins now, not when you bought it.

/ Thoughts on splitting a brand new tractor? #20  
I think a lot of this has to do with the quality of the dealership. Do you trust them? Does their shop have a good reputation? How have they responded so far? If all of this has been positive then press on and let them fix it. If they have been defensive, slow, difficult or, in this situation anything, but apologetic, prompt and extremely helpful I'd press them very hard, possibly even with an attorney. This is not a small issue, this qualifies as catastrophic failure (unusable machine, high potential for other damage.) And regardless of their attitude I'd expect and demand priority service which means free pick up and delivery, rapid repair turnaround and a loaner (if you actually need one). If it is not working out that way, contact the manufacturer sooner rather than later.

Finally, given that this happened early in the life of the machine I would demand a written warranty on the repairs and anything that they could affect to extend from the time of the repair through the time of the original warranty. In other words, your full drivetrain warranty begins now, not when you bought it.