Thoughts on splitting a brand new tractor?

/ Thoughts on splitting a brand new tractor? #61  
Congrats to the OP on the happy outcome. :thumbsup:

/ Thoughts on splitting a brand new tractor? #62  
If there's no oil in the system the hydraulic pump has minutes (at most) before it burns up. Hydraulic pumps are made with two gears that are very close to each other and to plates on the side of them. They have to be this way to prevent the oil being pressurized from leaking around the sides. With no oil the steel quickly heats up to the point where it will grind to a halt. If there's a question about the pump then simply having the pressure checked would tell you if damage was done to the pump. A second test would be to change the oil in 10 hours or so and see if there's any metal stuck to the magnet. Personally I would have a problem with the tractor.

You missed it- problem solved, unit was getting fluid to trans/rear end. Problem was no vent hole in trans cap.:thumbsup:

/ Thoughts on splitting a brand new tractor? #63  
That dealership will never work on another piece of equipment I own again. They split my tractor twice (under 50 hours on it). It started leaking again the first time it was used. Took it back (over 200 miles round trip). They had it for over two months, said they couldn't get it to leak because I removed equipment. I removed the top and tilt and put back on the regular top and side link! I got the run around BIG time. Filed a complaint with BBB, told my side, they then contacted them and closed case before asking me anything! The BBB is a mouthpiece for the members, not the consumer. I tried to work a trade because I knew my tractor wasn't going to be repaired properly there. Kioti corp was slightly better after the North Carolina AG got involved. Another dealer in a neighboring state had to replace trans. I traded it
for a dk40 and have been very happy.
The service manager still wasn't reimbursed for the first time the repaired the tractor (split twice) so he was reluctant to work on it again. So I picked it up with fluid tripping out of the case! The funny thing was what they wrote on the BBB site that they couldn't test the tractor hydraulics because I removed equipment ( the tractor was bone stock). I actually was charged $5.26 for a written receipt (he wasn't going to give me one) to show what they did (nt) do! Originally he wanted to charge me $30! If you go on BBB website make sure you read everything, you have to dig a little to find the responses, etc. they open and shut cases ASAP, without even contacting or letting the consumer know, extremely shady.
I will also state, I DID NOT buy from that (central Illinois) dealer. I bought local from a Morris Il dealer that converted to a Kubota dealer right after I purchased from them. I tried to do the right thing and buy local, but it didn't work out for me this time. I hope Kioti Corp cleans up there dealer network. And pays the dealers for warranty work in a timely fashion. I was EXTREMLY happy with the experiance at the Indiana dealer even though he probably took it on the chin for some of the cost of repairs. I think he made some money on me on the trade in but I was more than happy to put the 7,8 month saga (without a tractor) behind me.

/ Thoughts on splitting a brand new tractor? #64  
Seems all the worrywarts were WRONG, and can now crawl back into their paranoid bubbles until the next ultimate catastrophe.
Save the new tractor for nothing scenario for a situation in which it might actually be warranted. Seems field tech can solve problems without a need to change brands and panic over absolutely nothing. A missed vent hole in a cap. Call the authorities. Let this be a lesson to those who need to let cooler minds solve minor problems. Not everything is an extreme emergency, and a 'potential major issue'. Duh.

When people offer up stuff on this forum, most of the time (and hopefully) it is based on experience. Rotten experiences with either a dealer or mechanical issue tend to build "paranoia" in some and they share a gloomier view even if it's something like "my wife's cousin's brother's friend had this happen", which most of the time lends itself to gross inaccuracies. Mechanical ability differing widely also enters into the picture. Where some think it nothing to change a cam in a car, others would think it daunting. Same with splitting a tractor (although having changed many a cam and working on funny car engines, my experience spitting a tractor was rather sucky) Some are just more adept is all.

It all paints "outlook" and is why we get such a wide spread of opinions on something like this.

/ Thoughts on splitting a brand new tractor? #65  
That isn't what the OP said, and it isn't what wound up being the actual problem. He initially said the dealer said "not enough" fluid was going to the rear end....quite a bit different from no fluid.

After all is said and done, it sounds like it was a pretty minor issue....a vent hole not drilled, not some huge issue as you claimed it had to be.

Okay, I said "none" which was wrong. The OP said "not enough". Not enough sounds bad, right? So you're splitting hairs. Why?

And I did not claim it had to be a huge issue. You got that wrong. I said it had the potential be a major issue. I can only go on the facts available and "not enough" fluid in the rear of the tractor and a dealer ready to split it is a huge issue. At least it was to the OP at the time.

And yes, it seems like it was a minor issue, and I acknowledged (multiple times) that it would probably be resolved in a reasonable fashion. But don't confuse a minor cause with a minor outcome. Had they not found this unvented filler cap (an odd situation no matter how you slice it) then they might have split the tractor and still not found the problem.

/ Thoughts on splitting a brand new tractor? #66  
If there's no oil in the system the hydraulic pump has minutes (at most) before it burns up. Hydraulic pumps are made with two gears that are very close to each other and to plates on the side of them. They have to be this way to prevent the oil being pressurized from leaking around the sides. With no oil the steel quickly heats up to the point where it will grind to a halt. If there's a question about the pump then simply having the pressure checked would tell you if damage was done to the pump. A second test would be to change the oil in 10 hours or so and see if there's any metal stuck to the magnet. Personally I would have a problem with the tractor.

crazyal, seems like there are those who think you and me are worry warts. So you are just in a "paranoid bubble".... at least according to the fan boys.

/ Thoughts on splitting a brand new tractor? #67  
Since I'm contemplating purchasing a Kioti I'm riffling through all threads like this. Much of this doesn't do me a lot of good other than to show that Kioti DID "resolve" the issue. Not being biased on any manufacturer (well, I've got a Kubota that I'll gloat over, but I'm not brand loyal in any way that would tend to blind me), I do know that issues can come up and you cannot magically go back in time and rectify/take a different course of action. It's ALWAYS a matter of where one goes from a given point, forward.

The initial reactions by the dealer, if I can pretend to know exactly what they thought or what their instructions from the factory might be, might have been that they were assessing all the possible things that might have to be pursued and they were wanting to make sure that the factory would support them. That is, the dealer was being prudent not only financially but also on the side of technical support.

With 20 hrs run time it might have been figured that lower than acceptable levels of fluid, and keep in mind that not all 20 hrs would have been with low fluid (started out full, no idea on the rate of decline), wouldn't have likely caused any real harm. I'd argue that any decent dealer would want to make sure that a problem doesn't come back as that really makes for bad word-of-mouth (seems like Kioti relies on this more than spending on marketing). And I think that the dealer, as I suggested above, might have been wanting to make sure they had full support from the factory to ensure that this got taken care of in one shot, did as they should have.

Going forward, if there's any issue as a result I'd think that it should show up sooner rather than later, and if so that it occurs under the warranty period. And over time if nothing bad happens then it'll slowly become "a thing of the past" (yeah, I agree that early on these things will be burning in your head and you're just always looking over your shoulder; my only advice would be to push the tractor, within what would be its operational limits, to force it to either prove that it's capable, or make it break (I'd make this clear to the dealer that you're wanting to make sure that it's going to hold up).

My parents purchased a new Toyota Camry back in the mid 80s. Driving down the freeway it threw itself in reverse. If ever there was an incident begging to run away from something this was it. They got a new transmission, not a new car. Never another problem. I'd wager that the new transmission was likely vetted more closely than something just rolling off the assembly line.

I can probably be more cynical than most, and I'll agree that in some instances it proves warranted, but I still believe in "innocent until proven guilty"- I prefer to get all the facts out before I pass judgment.

Was this a design flaw or a manufacturing flaw? Either way I'm pretty sure that it all got visibility inside of Kioti (same as likely with any other manufacturer). The ONLY issue is whether their culture is one of being serious about QA and improvements to design. Unless one is privy to internal corporate documentation it's pretty hard to really know: nearly everything comes with compromises; life is really about risk management.

Folks don't buy things expecting them to break. Manufacturers don't expect to manufacture things to break: those that really don't care aren't going to be in business long enough; it's bad when you get hooked on to one of them (I don't think that Kioti is one of these).