Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,241  
I can honestly say that every hammer I have bought there has been a spectacular hammer :)
The dead blow hammer is a winner. I was using it 10 minutes ago to close paint cans. (I've also used it for much heavier stuff!). I like it.

8 and 10 lb sledges also are as good as I had hoped.

As for carpentry hammers - meh. I've bough a few different styles there and none has any of the natural, instinctive feel of my hammers I still have from when I made a living with them - Stiletto brand back in the day, same thing labelled Vaughn more recently. The old ones must be better steel or something. They feel like they transfer more force to a nail at each blow compared to modern HF lookalikes.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,242  
The dead blow hammer is a winner. I was using it 10 minutes ago to close paint cans. (I've also used it for much heavier stuff!). I like it.

As for carpentry hammers - meh. I've bough a few different styles there and none has any of the natural, instinctive feel of my hammers I still have from when I made a living with them - Stiletto brand back in the day, same thing labelled Vaughn more recently. The old ones must be better steel or something. They feel like they transfer more force to a nail at each blow compared to modern HF lookalikes.
Yeah I have several very worn in carpentry hammers that I won't give up. Too much blood, sweat, and tears they have seen. But I do need a few cheap persuaders! :D

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,243  
I can honestly say that every hammer I have bought there has been a spectacular hammer :)

Ditto. Make sure the head is on tight before you leave the store and you have a winner.

I have purchased many a tool but never a hammer from HF...

Shame on you. :D Please correct immediately.

Hammers are one of the best things HF does. After all, it's just a piece 'O metal on a stick. Just make sure the head is tight before you leave the store.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,244  

I have not bought a carpentry hammer from HF. My old Eastwings do me just fine, I also have a few smaller carpentry hammers that I used to put bread on the table. To be perfectly honest, the last several years of carpentry the only thing I used hammers for was aligning a piece of wood, or tearing things apart. Nail guns are way to efficient to hammer nails in manually. I still have a full arsenal of nailers as well, from pin nailers to framing nailers. I don't think I ever bought one of them at Harbor Freight either. Not that the HF ones are bad, I just never did. Duofast, Senco and Paslode all made and still do make great tools if you need them all day long everyday.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,245  
I respect your opinion but I've got to sharpen from machetes down, a fair amount of kitchen knives, "work knives", hunting knives etc. There are a number of videos on Youtube pushing 1" belt sharpeners and it looked better than the hand held. Then there's the axes, hoes, mower blades etc. also.

I keep a few Smith's CCKS 2 step knife sharpeners around for my pocket knives and the small stuff.

db_file_img_498_600xauto.jpg

I tend to agree, and for the machetes, some of which I have received with less than usefully sharp edges, some that had been sharpened to too narrow an angle, or ones [along with used axes] that have had damage to their edges] the HF 4" belt sander has been really helpful.

Of course I immediately switched from their cruddy included belt to one of these: 4 X 36 Inch 6 Grit Metal Grinding Zirconia Sanding Belts, 3 Pack - Sander Belts - Amazon.com

which works great for quickly re-profiling the edges.

Then I use the Smith's sharpeners [I have one with the carbide and ceramic, and another with 2 ceramic sharpeners, and I put the blades through both] to fine tune the edges, and then they will work tons better, without chipping or dulling for a much longer time.

YMMV,
Thomas

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,246  
I dont use the disc, don't remember why. The motor is very weak, especially starting, often have to help it start by hand. But the belt portion is O.K.. I use it for knives, sharpening drills, and general metal shaping. Just need to be patient. Or replace the motor.

I have not found the belt to have these problems, but I think the disk must have been an "oh and why don't we..." add-on, because besides the guard extending too far forward, it really doesn't have enough torque for even basic use.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,248  

Funny, no matter how many other hammer I try, I always go back to my 40+ year old Estwing [blue-handled] framing hammers- I have one each of the long and regular handled ones and for driving nails I love them both.

My uncle [a roofer] gave them to me new for me to use when I started staying summers at my cousin's house, and working with them doing roofing and siding.

Memories.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,249  
I have not bought a carpentry hammer from HF. My old Eastwings do me just fine, I also have a few smaller carpentry hammers that I used to put bread on the table. To be perfectly honest, the last several years of carpentry the only thing I used hammers for was aligning a piece of wood, or tearing things apart. Nail guns are way to efficient to hammer nails in manually. I still have a full arsenal of nailers as well, from pin nailers to framing nailers. I don't think I ever bought one of them at Harbor Freight either. Not that the HF ones are bad, I just never did. Duofast, Senco and Paslode all made and still do make great tools if you need them all day long everyday.

2+ all of that!

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,250  
the last several years of carpentry the only thing I used hammers for was aligning a piece of wood, or tearing things apart. Nail guns are way to efficient to hammer nails in manually. I still have a full arsenal of nailers ..... Duofast, Senco and Paslode all made and still do make great tools if you need them all day long everyday.
Oh man the only day I ever called in sick when I was a union Carpenter 40 years ago was after a day of nailing down hundreds of sq ft of plywood flooring with a Paslode nailgun. 8 hours running/crouching with that heavy monster and I was tied in knots. I figured I was fired since that was my first day there. Came back the following day and it turned out the contractor had had to go to court the day I was gone and didn't mind me not there. After working a few hours he commented that looks rough, do you mind if I put a Laborer on that nailgun for a while. Heck no!

I hadn't touched a nailgun since, until last month I bought a Porter-Cable nailgun at the flea market for $23. Seller said he took the nose apart to clear a jam and couldn't get it to work again. I took it to the warranty service place, the tech took one look at it, and told me how the trigger lock should have been reassembled. No charge. Now it works like new, and I see these were $350 when new 15 years ago. Now I have to build something! :thumbsup: