Please try & talk me out of a Kubota L4060

/ Please try & talk me out of a Kubota L4060 #1  

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
I've currently got a L3200hst that mostly serves me well. My big problem with it is icicles in my beard when plowing snow & being tarred & feathered (sunscreen, sweat & dust/grass) when mowing in the hot summer. So I'm looking to upgrade to a factory cabbed machine. Premium toys will also be nice.

I do some side tractor work, mostly mowing, some grading, post holes & barn mucking. Around our 5 acres I mow, maintain the driveway & am working on slowly improving the land. Just finished a big fencing & post hole run, although more is probably comming. Everything heavy or bulky is now on a pallet & the bucket has replaced a wheelbarrow.

There was a good used L3560 at an attractive price nearby a little while back I took for a test drive. However as expected the 2 extra HP over my L3200 was offset by almost double the weight, making it a bit of a dog. I do a fair bit of roading up some hills, so that would be annoying. The extra 5hp on the L4060 seeems to be where im at.

Generally my L3200 is a good size & takes care of 90% of my needs. Not excited about loosing some maneuverability on a wider machine, but more machine means more work done.

I really like the 2 speed aspect of the HST+ & can see that saving me a fair bit of time coming to a dead stop & fiddling with shifting the rough 3 speed between H & L all the time. My local dealer had a pile of L3560 & L4060s on the lot. Unfortunately by pile I mean stacks of unassembled machines. Apparently they can't assemble em fast enough to get ahead of sales so there is one on the lot for me to test drive. He got me a L3560 assembled with some advanced notice some warning & it was no different than the first one. Unfortunately he was out of L4060s when I pestered them to get one ready for a test drive.

After kind of landing on the L4060 as my target machine, I've gone & looked a JD 3039r (same size as my L3200, with noticeably smaller & less lift capacities than the L4060) which was a really nice smooth machine, but about $7k more for less machine. The next size up JD is a fair bigger than Kubota & too big for me. I stopped by & checked out TYM & LS, both are decent machines, but definitely not quite the same engineering & polish as Kubota or JD. A LS XR4140HC is pushing $10k less than Kubota though based on the first quotes I got from the respective dealers. That savings is mighty tempting. I suppose it's like comparing a Lexus to a Kia though (especially given the same country of origins). I wanted to look at a Kioti NX4010, but the dealer didn't have anything in that range indicating the LS & TYM were a much better bang for the buck. No other nearby Kioti dealers.

Planned options:
LA805 loader, Loaded R4s, 3 spools (2 float for TnT, 1 detent for other stuff), TnT. Debating on a 3rd function or diverter on the loader to angle a SSQA plow, but will probably just install my own later (may copy Roadhunter's hydraulic SSQA setup http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...inear-actuator-power-ssqa-14.html#post4369999 rather than do another linear actuator). I’m on the fence for draft control, a piranha tooth bar & the defroster with upgraded alternator.

The LandPride Quick Hitch was going to be $400 or something, so I'll probably just get another cheap HF type QH again. I'll install my own radio with Bluetooth later. I'm assuming chains for at least the fronts if not all corners will be in the cards.

Any features I'd be stupid to not get? LS makes a lot more sense financially, but my heart seems set on the Kubota. I rationalize most of it with a closer dealer who has a much better service department & Kubota quality. I'll probably end up with the Kubota, but my brain wants a sanity check.

/ Please try & talk me out of a Kubota L4060 #2  
I remember the debate that I had with myself along the same lines that yours is running. I tried to talk myself out of the larger Kubota because of maneuverability and tree spacing. I tried to convince myself that I didn't want the extra weight. What I wanted was high lift and pull with sports car turns and a Kia price. Wasn't going to happen.

In the end I went with the dealer that was open on Saturday and I trust to respond to my needs. Now, I can do the work I want to do (almost) and I have learned to be more careful among the trees.

The LS is cheaper, but the dealer is not open on Saturdays when most of my needs occur. That plus the lack of sophistication and the unavailability of a hydraulic thumb for the backhoe put him out of the running. We have no Kioti dealer in our area, but I sure would have liked to shop among them. All in all, had the LS dealer been open on Saturdays, I might have pursued a mod for the hydraulic thumb.

/ Please try & talk me out of a Kubota L4060 #4  
Sounds to me like at least one part of your brain is Ok with your intentions. Sounds like you have actually thought it through pretty well. Not too many that regret going in that direction.

/ Please try & talk me out of a Kubota L4060 #5  
Not even going to try to talk you out of it as I love my L5740HST with three rear remotes, TnT, third function, air ride seat and extra wheel weights. I went shopping for a 35-40 HP, but we just have too much land and went bigger. I really liked the size of the 3540, but figured with the cab, I would need a few more HP, 39/4240. A good used 5030HSTC was too good to pass up and later traded for my present one.

I could have gone with a Kioti or Massey, but no dealers are available, looked at a comparable machine at Deere, but being primarily a lawn and Ag dealer they rarely have any of the mid size CUTs available and the price was a bit much.

Others will point out the merits of other tractors and will make good points as to performance and cost, so seriously consider them. At my age for what I do, I now get all the bells and whistles on my tractors, trucks and cars after a lifetime of base model machines and counting pennies.

/ Please try & talk me out of a Kubota L4060 #6  
I'll try to talk you out of it....

I think you should be looking at the l4760 instead.

The L3560 that you test drove is the small one in the lxx60 line-up. I dont know when it comes to R4's, but for standard AG tires, it has the same size as the L3300 you currently have. But physically a little bigger.

Jumping up to the 4060 is another size jump. Longer, wider, larger tires, and more weight. So I think the concerns you have about the 3560 being a bit sluggish, will be just the same on the 4060 given it is a bigger tractor yet again.

The 4760 is the same tractor as the 4060. Same engine even. Just tuned to make more power. But otherwise identical tractor. I think the added HP would serve you well on hills and doing some of that mowing on the side. But you may be looking into a larger mower before long.

Another step up into the 5060 is another size jump. Larger tires, more lift, longer, etc. The 5460 and 6060 are the same as the 5060.

So in a nutshell......the 4060 and 4760 are the same tractor just as a 3300 and 3900 were. But add the weight of a cab, implement, tire size, etc.....to get back to similar HP/weight ratio of your 3300, you need the 47HP

/ Please try & talk me out of a Kubota L4060 #7  
Quite honestly, I don't think you can go wrong right now with any of the main brands, and I think you have good thoughts on size. When I went to replace my L3650 I started looking at the L4xxx Kubotas.

The only major advantage of the Kubota over the other brands I looked is the HST+, and something I wish my Kioti had. There are lots of times when I have a heavy load I want to get moving in tow, and then could use the high range for road travel.

I think LD1 is spot on in that you should be at least considering a larger HP bump. In the boating world we call this 2-footitis... the moment you buy a 30' boat, you realize you need a 32'...

/ Please try & talk me out of a Kubota L4060
I'll try to talk you out of it....

I think you should be looking at the l4760 instead.

The L3560 that you test drove is the small one in the lxx60 line-up. I dont know when it comes to R4's, but for standard AG tires, it has the same size as the L3300 you currently have. But physically a little bigger.

Jumping up to the 4060 is another size jump. Longer, wider, larger tires, and more weight. So I think the concerns you have about the 3560 being a bit sluggish, will be just the same on the 4060 given it is a bigger tractor yet again.

The 4760 is the same tractor as the 4060. Same engine even. Just tuned to make more power. But otherwise identical tractor. I think the added HP would serve you well on hills and doing some of that mowing on the side. But you may be looking into a larger mower before long.

Another step up into the 5060 is another size jump. Larger tires, more lift, longer, etc. The 5460 and 6060 are the same as the 5060.

So in a nutshell......the 4060 and 4760 are the same tractor just as a 3300 and 3900 were. But add the weight of a cab, implement, tire size, etc.....to get back to similar HP/weight ratio of your 3300, you need the 47HP

Where did you get the frame size info for the L4760 vs L4060? The L3560 & L4060 are the same tractor, only with 1 more cylinder & 1 size larger tires from what my dealer said, which matches what I read & saw in the stack of machines on pallets. The L4760 is a larger frame size. The L3560 HSTC is 3880 lbs & the L4060 is 4134 lbs, or about the weight of slightly larger tires & an extra cylinder. I'd intitially assumed a 3000 series frame was smaller than a 4000 series frame as well, but though I'd managed to determine they were actually the same, just different HP & tires. Humm.. the L4760 & L4060 have the same tire size & lenght. Crap, though I knew what I was talking about, but maybe not.

The L3560 comes with 7.0-16 front & 12.4-24 rears with ags. The L4060 bumps up to 8.3-16 front & 14.9-24. The L3200 only has 7.2-16 fronts 11.2-24 rear. So the fronts on my L3200 are abotu the same as the L3560, rears on the grands are bigger & significantly bigger on the grands.

The L3560 & L4060 area already about 20% bigger than my L3200 in length & width. My L3200 is 2,600lbs with just the tractor & the grand's are about 1,000lbs more for just the bare machine. I'm mostly satisfied with the size of my L3200 actually & am primarily upgrading for the cab, although the bells & whistles will be nice as well. The extra 700lbs or so of loader lift will be nice, but not critical. I'm already loosing a bit of maneuverability with the cab (mowing near trees & such) & I'm really hesitant to move 2 frame sizes bigger. It also will start getting towards a transport issue. I'm sure I could haul a frame size or 2 bigger with my F250, but it starts pushing it closer to the limits.

/ Please try & talk me out of a Kubota L4060
Humm... stared at the spect at http://www.kubota.com/product/LSeries/L60.aspx for a bit...

L4760 is 7hp more, has .2" less ground clearance & 88lbs more than the L4060, everything else is the same. My dealer was saying the 2 smaller grands could use the LA805 loader (1,700lbs lift to 105") but only the the L4760 could use the LA1055 (2,300lbs lift to 113").

Gah, back to more research to figure this out I guess.

/ Please try & talk me out of a Kubota L4060 #10  
DO the research. I didnt stare at the specs too hard but....

Everything I saw about the L4060 and L4760 were identical. Same tire size, same 3PH capacity, same length and width, nearly the same weight, same engine, etc etc.

The 3560 is shorter, a few hundred pounds lighter, smaller tires, and a 3 cylinder instead of a 4. I think your dealer was wrong to say the 4060 and 3560 were the same.