JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement
Ohhh.... Yer slick... A little inter-thread reference... *grin*

Im not often out early enough on a sunday to bother anybody, but I plan to muffle the sound somehow, if needed. Currently, my lil tractor isnt much louder than my grandma's Singer sewing machine. (RIP Grandma, thanks for the sewing machine!)

A few quick cuts with a chop saw... Gives you an idea of how this will shape up.

This is just scd 40 pipe, intentionally using heavywall close to the manifold, due to the highest heat will be there, immediately going into a bend.

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #14  
I wondered how you were gonna do that. I have a very good electric/hydraulic pipe bender. Not sure it could make that bend that short. Nice work!!

I havent welded the pieces together yet, and you're right, no bender is likely to go that tight on a cold bend, with seamed pipe. I have a bender, and might use it on one of the bends in the thin wall tube Im using for the longer sections.

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #16  
I did something similar and used a dragster exhaust mandrel bend pipe. It fit and looked perfect, cost under $20 and was a perfect bend as sharp as your potential bend. I think I bought it a Summit Racing. If it could take a couple thousand horsepower (or whatever) four inches from the head, it could take my 30 HP tractor.

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #17  
I did something similar and used a dragster exhaust mandrel bend pipe. It fit and looked perfect, cost under $20 and was a perfect bend as sharp as your potential bend. I think I bought it a Summit Racing. If it could take a couple thousand horsepower (or whatever) four inches from the head, it could take my 30 HP tractor.

Good idea. I hadn't thought of that route!!!! :)

6dogs, that would be an excellent source for exhaust tube... They offer a wide range of pre-bent elbows in many sizes.

However... Im doing this low-buck... Im using 1.5" scd 40 pipe and EMT conduit that I have on hand. This will kind of be a trial run, see it it works thing... If I like the results, and when it rusts out in a few years, I'll rebuilt it with actual exhaust pipe, which resists rust much better than the EMT. (I've used it before, on my truck muffler delete, lasted about 4 years) Im sure the scd 40 will last longer.

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #19  
Your little tractor won't generate a LOT of heat. I think this will last a long time.

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #20  
Your little tractor won't generate a LOT of heat. I think this will last a long time.

No, it won't...Yanmar engines (I've had three Yanmar powered Deeres) do tend to run cool...great starting in cold weather though! I'd still recommend a block heater though..just easier on the engine.