JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #31  
   / JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement
No pictures... But I cut a few pieces of pipe to start on the upper most section of the system. Im going to get the part that follows the limb riser, down the grill guard, and back to the area where the original exhaust exits the side panel fitted together, and 'work towards the middle'. That will allow the stock exhaust to remain in place for now, while the top part is assembled.

Another issue... Can this exhaust system be installed in one piece? (Will be nearly 10' of pipe from manifold to tip.) Or will I need to incorporate a joint or splice in it somewhere, in which case it will be at the lowest point, at approximately where the current exhaust ends.

Stay tuned!

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #33  
On my dozer I have an exhaust that runs up the limb riser to the roof and the muffler has a 1-1/2" or 2" pipe that protrudes about 5-6" through the hood , the exhaust stack is clamped to the hood and is a 3" pipe the muffler is not sealed to the stack, just stubbed up into it, a lot of John Deere dozers are like this. Or you could do wha t deer did with some of thier skidders and after the muffler plumb the exhaust into the bottom of the limb riser tubing and have it exit out at the top, but I could also see that as a burn hazard on a tractor that is lower to the ground and you or a child might grab on to it while it's hot.
In the pictures the the muffler pipe ends about 3" above the band clamp holding the stack to the hood, and there is an air gap the pipes are not conected , on a cold start when cranking it over you might get a couple puffs of smoke for a few second til it fires up .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 252
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 283
Spent a few more minutes on this tonight... Welded the bend pieces together. The pictures should give some idea of the direction this is going.

Cut/pieced together the offset at the top.

Mounting points are next. Just sitting there, propped up, in the pictures.

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #36  
You're going to put a "rain angle" on it to keep out the elements, right?

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #37  
Looking good, do you plan on putting a flex joint were you have to connect the pipe from the manifold to the stack

At this point, I'm not real pleased with the exit point over the roof... Want it to exit like that but dont like how vulnerable it is being higher than the ROPS. Rain/elements are of little concern as it is almost always parked inside unless in use, but theres always that chance... I will cut the exit off plumb if nothing else. Perhaps a flapper... Dunno.

As to the flex joint, also not sure. The motor is bolted solid, no rubber mounts, so if its ok for the stock system to bolt solid, new one should also be fine.

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #39  
I too am concerned about the exit point being above the ROPs. Especially knowing you use it in the brush. For that reason, I am also against a Flapper. Maybe exit just under the top of the ROPs by half inch or so. Build a guard around it to protect it from that limb riding up the risers?

I agree with you concerning rain/etc. Just for the sake of prevention, maybe a small hole drilled in the pipe at the lowest point??? Almost all factory vertical exhaust systems have that protection.

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #40  
I do know that for hot rods with side pipes that you need to have a support to keep them from vibrating too much or it can crack the exhaust manifold.