Buying Advice To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT

/ To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT #21  
Relative to budget, the major question is Backhoe or no Backhoe.

Based on OP's earlier posts he has not really made a case for a Backhoe, other than wanting one.

It is his hard earned money. If he wants a Backhoe, he should have one. But nothing he has posted supports a NEED.

It is his first tractor. He is going to be busy enough the first year or two, figuring out the Three Point Hitch.

Last edited:
   / To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT #22  
SKAWTTY: Here is a copied post on Box Blades relative to the Ratchet Rake on small tractors.

RATCHET RAKE TODAY // FEL Bucket Attachment // 6/09/2016

I own both a Ratchet Rake and a Rollover Box Blade.

This post concerns Ratchet Rakes Vs. light Box Blades, such as the 60" Land Pride BB1260/346 pounds/69 pounds per foot.

I searched for the weight of kubota L3301 bucket but could not find a number. I presume L3301 bucket weighs approximately 240 pounds, extrapolating from other kubota specs. 68" Ratchet Rake weighs 88 pounds. Adding 240 + 88 = 328 pounds, pretty close to 346 pounds of BB1260 Box Blade.

In addition, the (operator controlled) weight of the FEL frame bears on the Ratchet Rake. Likewise, weight of the Three Point Hitch bears on the Box Blade. FEL frames weigh much more than ( 3X? 4X?) Three Point Hitch components. So, including some FEL weight, I guesstimate that ground contact pressure on Ratchet Rake and BB1260 would be at least equal, perhaps greater pressure on the Ratchet Rake.

Further in Ratchet Rake's favor you have articulation of bucket/RR combination in two planes from the operator's station and 1-1/2" serrated teeth on the Ratchet Rake.

Box Blade can be raised and lowered hydraulically from the operator's station. Box Blade angle of attack is adjustable via the Three Point Hitch Top Link, but not from the operator's station. Standard Box Blade does not have rippers, standard is a smooth cutting edge.

Ratchet Rake is capable of tearing up sod with its serrated teeth, the initial operation in much grading. The Ratchet Rake will not pull as large a load as a Box Blade but it may pull 35% of capacity of BB1260 per pass, with faster cycles. Ratchet Rake is more intuitive in operation than a Box Blade, which requires considerable experience to operate efficiently.

This is why I feel the Ratchet Rake is superior to light Box Blades for LIGHT grading.

This is a novel assessment of the Ratchet Rake. Subject to revision and modification.

When I have HEAVY grading to do, I mount my 60"/625 pound (125 pounds per foot) Bush Hog (brand) Rollover Box Blade on the tractor's Three Point Hitch AND the Ratchet Rake on my FEL bucket.

Attachments

• DSC00450.JPG
    DSC00450.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 143
  • DSC00127.jpg
    DSC00127.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 131
Last edited:
   / To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT #23  
I'd agree that a SCUT sounds a little small for what you want to do on your property. My 13 acre lot is similar to yours - flat in front and woods in back, and I haven't needed a backhoe. I'd recommend taking the money saved on the hoe and spending it on a larger tractor/loader.

We're also cutting trails through the woods, and it generates a LOT of brush - we bought a PTO chipper almost immediately, and it stays on the back of our CUT almost full-time. IMHO, covering the trails with fresh wood chips is better than burning the brush, and it makes walking on the trails really nice. Most 6 inch chippers are 500+ lbs and need 25+ hp, so a SCUT would be barely big enough to run one.

The other thing a CUT will allow you to do is carry logs and stack them in piles - that's more weight than a SCUT can handle. Good luck with your search!

/ To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT #24  
The Mahindra 26xl is worth a look. Built by Mitsubishi, falls in a category between sub and compact. Specs on paper look good. Put the money you would spend on a backhoe towards attachments.

/ To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT #25  
It is no surprise to see that folks that don't have a backhoe recommend not to get one. Having a backhoe is comparable to not having a FEL. IF you don't have one, then you cant see the need nor the expense of getting one. Once you have one of either, you find out that you have been missing a lot of opportunities.
Sure you may be able to wait on some projects till you gather up enough to enable renting a backhoe, but I find that many of my uses are immediate needs, like a rock that has raised up over the winter and hitting my lawnmower blades or needing to dig a hole for planting something (our ground is full of rocks and I need a pick and shovel to dig which is not going to happen with my bad back and 67 year old body), an animal dies and needs to be buried, etc. These and many more things keep my backhoe on the tractor full time. I don't mow with it, I use my zero turn for mowing.
I wouldn't recommend an SCUT though as the uses are too restricted by weight, size of the hoe and ground clearance.
I would recommend looking at used if you can find a low hour, well cared for B26, it would be excellent for your uses. Check that it has the 3 PH lift arms with it, I think they run about $1000 extra.

/ To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT #26  
And it's no surprise to see that someone who needs or has a backhoe thinks everyone needs one too. OP only articulated that he wanted a hoe and not a viable reason he needed one.

/ To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT #27  
Personally, I'd love to own a backhoe... I just can't justify the expense of getting one. Believe me, I've tried!

But for a wooded lot with trails, a PTO chipper is much more useful - and I can't imagine all the extra work needed to remove the hoe every time I wanted to use the chipper.

/ To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT #28  
We've had a backhoe for years and I rarely recommend a new owner buy one especially on a SCUT. Rarely doesn't mean never as circumstances can certainly dictate the need for one and even if you don't really "need" one, but want it and have the money, go for it. My brothers and I own four farms, five houses and numerous outbuildings, but find renting preferable. Our backhoe is more trouble to bring back to life than picking up one at the rental place.

/ To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT #29  
$ 1000 gets me a huge Caterpillar excavator with an experienced operator for a full day digging laser levelled ditches and removing stumps and boulders

The amount of work he does in a single day would take me a year and likely cost more than the one grand in fuel alone.

/ To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT
Thanks everyone for your posts. I called the NH dealer and they were saying it is hard for them to sell any here cause NH has such an outrageous price that people just walk away. I told him I will still come and take a look to check them out, that is the 26 Boomer. Went to Kubota here but didn't like the way I was treated so I will try another dealer 70 km away. Went to JD, they are good here was treated well they are right in town price 2016 1025r tlb $24995.00 0 % 60 months. MF on the phone for 1720 TLB $24445.00 cash deal. I have to go there to talk shop think I can get it down more. So now as we get talking more to see if TLB or no TLB. TLB to me is an attachment I might use a lot or I might not use at all. I know for a fact I don't like using a shovel so I know ill need it more than I wont need it but I am still deciding and looking I am taking my time, (I know you guys want me to pull the trigger already LOL). My budget I have set is about 26000.00. With the crazy Can $ that doesn't help. I will post after todays venture. thanks for all the info people!