Buying Advice To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT

/ To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT #41  
Gladehound- I just added a root bucked to my Christmas list!! I see you can get them with a thumb as well.

Yea, every once in a while I wish I got the thumb. But now thinking I'd rather have a thumb on forks or a rake style grapple.

Make sure the stump bucket is narrow with even width all the way back. I'm interested to hear how it works for you. Your tractor loader is on the cusp of being big enough to make good use of a stump bucket. Read the stump bucket thread. Assuming a good bucket is purchased, user satisfaction tends to be related to the size of the machine. The long bucket seems to be too much for the curl cylinders of smaller tractors.

/ To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT #43  
I've been going back and forth over the same thing...do I get the TLB or pass on the backhoe. While it would be a nice tool on my 4 acres, I think I could rent a mini-excavator a couple dozen times and still come out ahead.

/ To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT #44  
   / To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT #45  
If you think you can get a good use out of the backhoe part of the TLB, buy it. One thing that isn't often figured into the initial costs is that when you sell, or upgrade, that extra cost for the backhoe comes back in the resale price. If the backhoe costs $4000 more when you buy the tractor, for example, count on at least $2000, or more coming back when you sell it with the tractor years later. So, in reality, you are getting to use it for half, or less than the purchase price if you maintain it. It also makes the tractor much easier to resell at top dollar if all is maintained as well.
Chris

/ To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT #46  
Yes I think I am going towards TLB and get a few other implements. I went to the MF dealer again and got a couple new prices for the MF 1710/20. 1710 out the door 22400.00 add on 1800 for the 1720. Dunno if that is worth the extra 2 hp, seat and metal around the rops lights. Going to go sit on a Kubota as well tomorrow to check them out and even look at a bigger machine.

Unless there is some problem with reliability, I would go with the GC 1720 over the BX25 or BX23S. It has better hydraulics (FEL lift 1190 lbs. vs 745 for the BX25, and PTO HP 19.6 vs. 17.5 for the BX25) than the BX25, and definitely WAY cheaper than the new Kubota BX23S. Only problem is, the clearance is only 6.7", compared to 9" for the BX25.

/ To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT #47  
We bought without the BH. The Wife brought it up initially, but we looked at how much we really do any serious digging, and just couldn't justify it for our needs. As several have already suggested, we can rent a mini excavator for any rare occasions we might need more than a shovel or FEL bucket. We did buy one of the Rip and Dig attachments from the TBN store here, mostly in anticipation of trenching a new overflow route for our small lake. Not a substitute for a BH, but again, suitable for our needs.

I like the size of the 22-25hp sub compacts and I think any bigger is too big for my acreage.

You might be surprised. Many here will suggest stepping up in HP to the CUT-size machines. I think in your case I'm one of them. Most of the smaller CUTs aren't that much bigger than the 22-25HP SCUTs, but offer a considerable upgrade in power and lift capacity. If you are going to be doing any serious earth moving - and your initial post suggests you might - then power and weight are your friend.

/ To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT #48  
I would not buy a BH again unless it was a real TLB. By that I mean you can swivel the seat around to use it not get off the tractor and shuffle around to the BH and dig. Also you should get some seat time before you buy. Read the link that Triple R posted about the Massey. I would prefer a 3 speed HST, Look at Hydraulic capacity too.

/ To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT
Thank you all for the info and recommendations. I am going with Massey but now... 1710 or 1720 Dam. I went to another dealer and got a good price, 19900 for 1710 and 22000 for the 1720 out the door. Which ever one I get im getting a thumb on the bh. I am reading the 1710 vs 1720 threads.

Thanks Again for all your help everyone. Ill keep you updated when I get it and ill post pics.

/ To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT #50  
I went with the gs1710. For my needs, I did not think the few horsepower difference would be noticed. I hope to put the extra money into a nice heated cab from Curtis.