electronic repair of tractor parts

/ electronic repair of tractor parts #11  
That thing is cool! At work we just had a cricket tester in a wood box!

Yeah -I sure wish something like the GM328 was around 20 years ago, would have saved a bunch of time figuring out some unmarked devices.

I was kind of amazed how it could give ESR values for caps and actual capacitance, nail down inductance and give transistor gain and break over voltages- with fairly good resolution. and it really does detect and pinout display protection diodes internal to some mosfets.

A little digging on the net shows how to access it's square wave generator to.

One use it did not have the power to accurately test was on 35 amp SCRs for fixing a welders drive circuit.

but for what it costs -well worth every penny

/ electronic repair of tractor parts #12  
Bunch of dinosaurs!:laughing:
R & R is the way of the world. Who's got time to remove, dismantle, test, order parts, remove old parts, reassemble? Basically no one, or those who could mostly don't want to, or are retired and out of the loop on current practices, (no offense to OP or others, merely factoids, (note: NOT alternative facts!) Just like with cars, remove old, replace with new. Yeah it costs more, BUT no one stocks anything anymore...it's 'just in time' ordering, which I see as never on time ordering!
Everything is junk out of the box, there's NO quality control anymore, no mater what the item. It's not working out of the box?, fill in blank: computer, refrigerator, washing machine, etc? Too bad, get extended warranty to cover what should have worked from the factory.... good luck with ANY category; most everything is junk right out of the box, broken, missing, defective parts, you name it, the fact that ANYthing works today is amazing.
But hey, if you have the time, and patience to mess around with scoping a tractor's dash, all the :confused3::thumbsup: more power to 'ya!
Good luck

/ electronic repair of tractor parts #13  
Well CM, some of us old "dinosaurs" cut our teeth with a voltmeter in our hands, and although dementia may have set in a bit, I can still remember a lot of the basics. :D

Having just finished up on my Inverted L 160 meter antenna project (it works very well thank you), I am going to start on an endfed portable antenna (Parts on order for building the 9 to 1 UNUN). So "Dino" I may be, but as long as I still have 2 or 3 marbles rolling around up there in the gourd, I will continue to repair what I can and build what I want. :) And let me tell you, there is a lot more to repairing something than just the money saved, there is the pride of accomplishment that perhaps some people have never known.

/ electronic repair of tractor parts #14  
It would have cost me $52 plus tax and shipping to buy a replacement handle for our microwave after it broke. I picked out a nice piece of wood from the scrap pile, cut it to shape, drilled some holes, a little sanding and tongue oil finish, screwed on an old barn-door handle and mounted it to the door.

It didn't cost me a dime, gave me a nice afternoon project and best of all, Mrs.tiller likes it. :thumbsup:

/ electronic repair of tractor parts #15  
It would have cost me $52 plus tax and shipping to buy a replacement handle for our microwave after it broke. I picked out a nice piece of wood from the scrap pile, cut it to shape, drilled some holes, a little sanding and tongue oil finish, screwed on an old barn-door handle and mounted it to the door.

It didn't cost me a dime, gave me a nice afternoon project and best of all, Mrs.tiller likes it. :thumbsup:

You can't beat that with a stick. Hey, I just made a funny.:)

/ electronic repair of tractor parts #16  
Well CM, some of us old "dinosaurs" cut our teeth with a voltmeter in our hands, and although dementia may have set in a bit, I can still remember a lot of the basics. :D

Having just finished up on my Inverted L 160 meter antenna project (it works very well thank you), I am going to start on an endfed portable antenna (Parts on order for building the 9 to 1 UNUN). So "Dino" I may be, but as long as I still have 2 or 3 marbles rolling around up there in the gourd, I will continue to repair what I can and build what I want. :) And let me tell you, there is a lot more to repairing something than just the money saved, there is the pride of accomplishment that perhaps some people have never known.

I have a Simpson meter with a roll up door case; seems about the same vintage; can't verify, I'm away from home in the islands until end of April. Got it for about $10 too, IIRC, back in 1978 or around that time, from a guy who wanted to sell it to me when I was doing electronics work at Penn Station, for a company that I was a sub-contractor for at the time. I still have it, but can't remember the last time I used it. I'm sure it works as well as day one. The key is to always remove the batteries when not in use.:thumbsup:
I too do repairs, when time and parts, and desire coincide. I understand the intrinsic value of fixing things goes beyond the $ value, but it seems to me that the way things are made and the junk they're made of these days renders putting time into repairs often a waste of time and money. JMHO.

/ electronic repair of tractor parts #17  
I have a Simpson meter with a roll up door case; seems about the same vintage; can't verify, I'm away from home in the islands until end of April. Got it for about $10 too, IIRC, back in 1978 or around that time, from a guy who wanted to sell it to me when I was doing electronics work at Penn Station, for a company that I was a sub-contractor for at the time. I still have it, but can't remember the last time I used it. I'm sure it works as well as day one. The key is to always remove the batteries when not in use.:thumbsup:
I too do repairs, when time and parts, and desire coincide. I understand the intrinsic value of fixing things goes beyond the $ value, but it seems to me that the way things are made and the junk they're made of these days renders putting time into repairs often a waste of time and money. JMHO.

Well, you have to know when to remove the screws and look inside, and when to place it in the "round file":)

/ electronic repair of tractor parts
KOUA Thanks for your reply. Having worked most all Western States and with some one from every state. Have often wondered why those .05% of the New England states are so opinionated.
and sure of there input to anything should be law.

I could of purchased a new tach. and tossed the old with out checking why it failed . often there is only a fuse in elec.motor winding to fix electric motors in small sizes.
I have garage door openers given to me all the time and battery is close to dead in remote control unit.
when show them the wall button they thought it was a door bell button. never touched to check what would happen.
In Military (Army) was assigned to a Emergency repair section whos job was to be 1st called and sent to where ever a Power Generation unit water pump fuel pump had failed to repair quickly and not have to return later to do it 2nd, time. worked with the Navy Marines and Air Force Only had 1 compliant and that was a Marine 2 Lt. or lower rank . asked if I repaired "Heads" told him wasn't a Doctor.
He took it wrong turned in a compliant to my Warrant Officer.
If anyone from Maine knows a lowly Marine Officer Starts with Clifford P. tell him haven't forgot yet. he is one of the .05%
so after taking the test and getting the FCC 1st. class license worked in several communication areas then went for the Master electrical license . and used both for good number of years.
finished my working years in SCADA or supervisory Control and Data in the installation and repair when something failed along with the control equipment in 470 sub stations
Maybe I had learned some thing in the ability to repair a simple engine hour meter. Tach.

Now this is cleared up also just like to be able to repair old tractors engines and if rusty make it useful again.
ken

/ electronic repair of tractor parts #19  
OP, you ASSume that living somewhere means someone is from there: New England in this case. Wrong. And having an opinion doesn't make one opinionated. This thread has been, so far, a discussion. You have a problem with someone from Maine, take it to them. Spend your remaining time doing whatever you want on anything you want to. Trying to decipher gibberish is something I chose not to waste my time doing.

/ electronic repair of tractor parts #20  
Looks like old Ken had you figured pretty close.
OP, you ASSume that living somewhere means someone is from there: New England in this case. Wrong. And having an opinion doesn't make one opinionated. This thread has been, so far, a discussion. You have a problem with someone from Maine, take it to them. Spend your remaining time doing whatever you want on anything you want to. Trying to decipher gibberish is something I chose not to waste my time doing.