iMig 200 questions

/ iMig 200 questions #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
Soooo, I am thinking of getting an Everlast iMig 200, for some larger projects than my little Campbell Hausfield can handle. I'd like to build a flatbed trailer so I will need something a little heavier than 90 amps will do :). I am posting here, hopefully it's the right place, as the welding questions are a big part of the post.

I am thinking something in the 7x16ft range (bumper pull), mainly for things like my tractor (MF1010) or maybe something like a Kubota B series down the road and our quads if we desire to take them along. Also stuff like lumber or materials too long for my 8ft trailer. I know the arguments pro/con for building vs buying, but trailers go for a premium around here with a decent one like I described, in the $2000-3000 range easy, so depending on what I got materials for I might save some money, and gain a lot of welding experience.

The welding questions, are pertaining to the iMig 200. It will Mig weld to 200 amps on 220v and stick weld to 160 amps on 220v. I am thinking something in the 3/16" thickness channel steel for the frame, or what ever you guys think would be suitable. Would a 7000lb GVW be enough for the items I described above. I KNOW it is for the MF1010 and the quads but not sure what the B series or similar tractors weigh. That would include a loader and scraper or similar weight items.

If the 3/16" is suitable, would it best be welded with stick or Mig? The specs in the iMig 200 say up to 1/4" on single pass, but I wouldn't think 1/4 is necessary. I figure 2 3500lb axles.

No, I have not priced them new, but will, either way, I will most likely end up with the iMig200, but this seemed like a good way to get real use from it.

/ iMig 200 questions #2  
When you make out your material list, and go out for pricing. You'll find, you cannot build a trailer cheaper than you can buy one.

With any welding project, proper joint prep is crucial! With any wire feed welding, there is no substitute for power! Mig welds can look great, but not have any penetration to them at all.

Attachments

• 120 Mig root.jpg
    120 Mig root.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 120 Mig Etch.jpg
    120 Mig Etch.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 220 Mig 1.jpg
    220 Mig 1.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 220 Mig 2.jpg
    220 Mig 2.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 112
   / iMig 200 questions #3  
I agree with SA on this. It would a fun project but you can find a very nice used trailer for 1/2 what it would cost to build one. Just did that very thing.

/ iMig 200 questions #4  
I agree with SA on this. It would a fun project but you can find a very nice used trailer for 1/2 what it would cost to build one. Just did that very thing.

"find a very nice used trailer for 1/2 what it would cost to build a new one".
In the Midwest that is likely easy to do.
In Ca. not so much.
A factory new trailer is a MUCH better idea than building one!
Use the new Everlast iMig for smaller fun projects!

/ iMig 200 questions #5  
A tank of gas and heading to Oregon, or Nevada, is still cheaper than a build. Craigslist an out of state search.

That said, Mark at Everlast has build trailers and shows you how to do so on his website.

Everlast has nice gear (I have 2 pieces, will get a thrid this summer). You won't be disapointed.

I am a major novice, but I too think that if you are building a trailer, and you are a novice welder, mig can be a bit dangerous. I would stick a trailer with my MIG skill, penetration is worrisome.

/ iMig 200 questions #6  
A tank of gas and heading to Oregon, or Nevada, is still cheaper than a build. Craigslist an out of state search.

That said, Mark at Everlast has build trailers and shows you how to do so on his website.

Everlast has nice gear (I have 2 pieces, will get a thrid this summer). You won't be disapointed.

I am a major novice, but I too think that if you are building a trailer, and you are a novice welder, mig can be a bit dangerous. I would stick a trailer with my MIG skill, penetration is worrisome.

I have a new Everlast 140e Imig that I bought myself for Christmas.
I have not even tried it yet (haven't tried my new Lotos LT5000D plasma cutter either).
Both are reported to be very capable machines, relative to their size.

/ iMig 200 questions
I haven't stick welded in years, but would enjoy the practice. I would not practice on a trailer though, I would want it to actually stay together. :)

Yea as far as prices go, as I mentioned, that only if I can get the material cheap, did I think it would be better. I did a bit of searching and a 18ft flat bed is from $2500 to 7K. Depends on how heavy duty I want one to be.

I have the 110v Mig, it hits about 90 amps at full power. Maybe I should save some money and go with the Power Arc 200 stick welder instead, and learn how yo stick the bigger projects.

/ iMig 200 questions #8  
Maybe I should save some money and go with the Power Arc 200 stick welder instead, and learn how yo stick the bigger projects.
Get the Powerarc 200ST, or the Powerarc 300 with adjustable arc force!;)

/ iMig 200 questions
The 200ST was the one I had in mind, for stick welders. I know not what adjustable arc force does. How does that make it better?

/ iMig 200 questions #10  
I use the arc force more like an inductance control. If you want a wet running puddle turn the arc force down low. If you want a dry non-runny puddle turn the arc force up. It really helps for vertical up hill welding. Now for open root pipe welding with 6010. Turn the arc force all the way up, and you can jam the rod in the joint, without the arc going out.
Here is what the Powerarc 200ST can do with 6010, and 7018.

Attachments

• Best 6010 Cap.jpg
    Best 6010 Cap.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 7018 Cap.jpg
    7018 Cap.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 95