Building a Shop / Weld Table

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #1  

MOTractor

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 FWD
I have a 20 x 32 shop in my pole barn and I need a movable work / welding table. It will do all my farm / mechanical projects: a place to rebuild a carburetor, a place to stack the clutch parts for my tractor, a place to weld up a dolly for my grapple, a place to have a beverage... I have a read every work / weld table thread on TBN and WW (before they disappeared) that I could find and still have questions. Please tell me what you would add, change or delete. I plan on trying to document the build, so there will be more questions. :laughing: Shop floor is concrete.

I am thinking:
-3' x 5' x 3/8" top, I might go as small as 30" x 4' x 3/8"
-Legs would be 2" x 2" x 1/4.
-I plan on leaving 2-3" overhang on all sides for clamping
-Expanded metal bottom shelf for debris to fall thru.
-Bottom shelf will also be used to store the 14" chop saw, portaband...
-For working with pipe: 2 pieces of 3'x3" angle iron on one side welded to table edge for holding pipe. The angle will look like a "V".
-6" cast iron casters with a polyurethane tread. 1000 capacity each.
-A couple receiver hitches to mount things like my grinder and chain saw grinder, maybe the Dewalt metal chop saw off the short end.
-A quad outlet or power strip, one on each long side.
-Angle iron on the ends to hold grinders and clamps

Questions:
-The legs: Is 2x2 big enough? Do I need 1/4" wall thickness?
-The angle iron for holding pipe: Does it need to run the whole length? Or just a couple pieces a a few feet apart?
-Angle for pipe: should I brace it from the bottom of the "V" to the table frame?
-Top: Weld it to frame or should it be allowed to move like a kitchen table top?
-Top: Di I need to weld stiffeners under there?
-Vise: Mount to table or use a receiver hitch? I am leaning toward bolting to table.
-Casters: Would the total locks, that that lock swivel and roll, be adequate for stopping movement?
-Does 2" square tube that I buy at my local metal shop fit inside a 2" receiver?

Did I mention there will be more questions? :laughing:

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #2  
Questions:
-The legs: Is 2x2 big enough? Do I need 1/4" wall thickness?
-The angle iron for holding pipe: Does it need to run the whole length? Or just a couple pieces a a few feet apart?
-Angle for pipe: should I brace it from the bottom of the "V" to the table frame?
-Top: Weld it to frame or should it be allowed to move like a kitchen table top?
-Top: Di I need to weld stiffeners under there?
-Vise: Mount to table or use a receiver hitch? I am leaning toward bolting to table.
-Casters: Would the total locks, that that lock swivel and roll, be adequate for stopping movement?
-Does 2" square tube that I buy at my local metal shop fit inside a 2" receiver?

I would think 2x2 with 1/4" be plenty fine.
I would do a few support braces in between the frame under the table top. Make the table top solid to the frame like a work bench.

Would not weld angle iron to the table because then you cannot set things that are bigger then the table on the table. Do one receiver on each side and make a angle iron attachment for it so you can hold a 10ft peice of pipe. Could rig up something like a bike chain as a vise attached to the angle.

Would not bolt the vise, again losing the flat surface. Could make a few vertical receivers in the table top to take a vise mount.

Take a tape and measure the receiver our a truck or something.

For the receivers drills 2 holes. On perpendicular sides and weld nuts over the holes so you can use a bolt to tighten up a tool in the receiver.

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #3  
Sounds like you're off to a good start. I have been gathering pieces for a table and wanted to get started several weeks ago. All my welding and grinding has to be done outside. I don't have a separate shop and the garage has too much in it to be throwing sparks around. I'm using a 3' x 4' piece of 3/8" plate for the top, a picture frame of 3x3 angle, 2x2x1/4 wall galvanized legs, shelf from a (16ga?) switchgear door, cable hangers made of short pieces of EMT with washers on the end, a drawer made from an ununsed electrical panel, etc.

The wheels will all be swivels with locks. I'm still thinking through mounting a large vise and mig gas tank. Please post pics of yours as you progress.

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #4  
Subscribed. I’ll be building one soon as well.

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #5  
This is one I built recently:

74SZz5V.jpg

I mounted a vice to it. It's 1/4" on the top. I wish it was thicker, but that's what I had in the scrap pile. I left a gap in the middle so I could clamp things there too. I had the table already, it used to have a wooden top for a bench which I removed. I added a small rod to the front to hang clamps, etc. I also made a lamp holder and a place on the back for a ground clamp. I used swivel/locking wheels on all 4 corners. Works great so far. I'd like to add a chop saw and some threaded rod leaving feet to it.

mJlvkWo.jpg

I made this magnetic holder for the mig gun.

Xu9zdVS.jpg

zFM9Sts.jpg

This is what I started with:

nOkYhZv.jpg

Here it is with the floorpan to my Jeep clamped to it for drilling purposes. I like being able to wheel around anywhere in my garage to work, then push it back in the corner when I'm not using it.

vw1RGDI.jpg

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #6  
I built a 4’ by 4’ 3/8” top and wouldn’t go any smaller, I used 2” square 1/4” wall for my legs and 2” angle 1/4” thick for the frame. I then put a receiver tube on two sides, all welded to the bottom of the top plate, I made several different items mounted to tubes that slide in and mount such as grinders, vise, and such. I didn’t use a pin like in a receiver hitch, I used a pinch bolt in the bottom so it takes any slack out of the tubes so your vice or what ever is solid and don’t wiggle any. I agree with not mounting anything permanent to the top I’ve needed a large flat surface many times. I also did the electric boxes , I mounted boxes on two apposing legs and have a single cord to plug the table in when needed. I’ve used mine for way more things than I ever thought about when I was building it and am glade I built it heavier than I thought I would need. One thing I’ve used it for is to drop the motor and transmissions out of several front wheel drive vehicles, raise the vehicle up on my two post lift roll the table under the vehicle lower it down , finish removing the mounting bolts and lift the vehicle back up leaving the whole drive assembly setting on the table. Check out garage journal, there are several table builds there also.

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #7  
I've been thinking of building on as well. The one thing I think I wanted to do was to put the welders under it, but with working on cars, I don't think I want to do that, or at least with the MIG so I can get it closer to the car. I don't think 1/4" is needed unless you plan on really loading it up. I would think 1/8" maybe 3/16" if you really want is more than enough, the 3/8"top will add some strength, and you are only going 5' for the top which you base will be smaller.

We always said, there no such thing as four legs touching the floor. My concerns with the wheels is that you could be really only supported at 3 points and it twists if not built strong enough. I think that will have more to do with the frame design than wall thickness. I think the wheels need to be adjustable, or retract so you are only on the wheels when you are moving it, and have hard supported adjustable feet to work on. It also depends on if you plan to use it more as a general table or a layout table for welding. If it is a layout table, you need to have the top as flat as you can get it.

I have a small cart that I use for small welding project with a plate on top. I keep all my grinders and some clamps on the shelf below. I find that the dust really builds up on the tools. Even with a mesh shelf, I see the tools getting dirty. It would nice to have the bottom enclosed if you plan to keep power tools under there, or covers.

I really want something with a hood and back splash for grinding. Summertime here, I move operations outside, but in the winter, grinding makes a mess of the garage.

It's good to see you thinking ahead for cup holders. Always an important feature.

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #8  
I've been thinking of building on as well. The one thing I think I wanted to do was to put the welders under it, but with working on cars, I don't think I want to do that, or at least with the MIG so I can get it closer to the car. I don't think 1/4" is needed unless you plan on really loading it up. I would think 1/8" maybe 3/16" if you really want is more than enough, the 3/8"top will add some strength, and you are only going 5' for the top which you base will be smaller.

We always said, there no such thing as four legs touching the floor. My concerns with the wheels is that you could be really only supported at 3 points and it twists if not built strong enough. I think that will have more to do with the frame design than wall thickness. I think the wheels need to be adjustable, or retract so you are only on the wheels when you are moving it, and have hard supported adjustable feet to work on. It also depends on if you plan to use it more as a general table or a layout table for welding. If it is a layout table, you need to have the top as flat as you can get it.

I have a small cart that I use for small welding project with a plate on top. I keep all my grinders and some clamps on the shelf below. I find that the dust really builds up on the tools. Even with a mesh shelf, I see the tools getting dirty. It would nice to have the bottom enclosed if you plan to keep power tools under there, or covers.

I really want something with a hood and back splash for grinding. Summertime here, I move operations outside, but in the winter, grinding makes a mess of the garage.

It's good to see you thinking ahead for cup holders. Always an important feature.

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #9  
This will be a good thread to follow. I'm looking forward to seeing the many creative ideas guys have used on their own tables.

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #10  
I didn't want my vice bolted anywhere on the table, so I made it portable. I have another vice bolted to the tool bench which is 42" away.

Vice.jpg