Building a Shop / Weld Table

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table
Would not bolt the vise, again losing the flat surface. Could make a few vertical receivers in the table top to take a vise mount.

By vertical do you mean cut a 2x2 hole in the 3/8 top and weld and brace the receiver vertically under the table top?

Thanks!

Sounds like you're off to a good start.
I sure hope so!:)

Im still thinking through mounting a large vise and mig gas tank. Please post pics of yours as you progress.
I will post pics. I made a small cart a few years ago that holds a toolbox, the Miller 185 and bottle; will not have to worry about that stuff for this table.

ctrider: I like the split top idea, must make clamping much easier.

I didn't want my vice bolted anywhere on the table, so I made it portable. I have another vice bolted to the tool bench which is 42" away.

View attachment 542057

Do you clamp the vise to the table? With that base it would set flat on the bottom shelf I will have

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #15  
ctrider: I like the split top idea, must make clamping much easier.

IT does, I'm glad I did it that way. It wasn't intentional at first. I had those 2 pieces of plate that were that wide, so I cut them to length and laid them on the table with a gap between them and the light bulb came on. I've used it many times on the parts I'm fixing for my MC restoration. I would recommend doing this or providing some means to clamp other than on the outer edges.

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #16  
My table is 3' wide and about 7' long. So far I haven't had an issue with the vise yet. I use it a lot to hold pieces together if I can't clamp them onto the table. I can weld things in the vise because I just ground the whole table. I decided that this is one of those projects that is continuously evolving, so I like seeing ideas from others. I wouldn't recommend putting any tools underneath like I originally did, they just get too dirty from grinding or rust repair. I use the shelf to put pieces I have already worked on or am going to fix.

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #17  
By vertical do you mean cut a 2x2 hole in the 3/8 top and weld and brace the receiver vertically under the table top?

Thanks!
Yes. That way you could pot other things in there later on also

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #18  
i made my welding table with 2 tubes under frame the length of table 2 1/2 in size. inserted a 2x2 tube inside to slide. welded cross brace to one end of 2x2. this works as a table extension and remove it and doubles as receivers fo vice, chop saw, what ever you want. this way you have 2 receivers, 4 if you make the 2 1/2's long enough under table.

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #19  
Keep your eyes open for fab shops closing down. I paid around $150 at auction for a 4x8 table with 3/4" steel top and heavy duty legs. I couldn't come even remotely close to building one for that. It weighs well over 1000 lbs so have to use a forklift to move it into the driveway. Wheels would be nice but hasn't made it high enough on the Todo list yet. I threaded 3/4" holes into the top to mount my vise, and remove it when necessary. IMG_20170505_192347.jpg

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #20  
Welding table opinions are like butts. :)

Don't try to use lighter material. A welding table needs to be heavy.
Six inch casters will work if your floor is good and you keep it clean. Caster brakes will not keep your table in a fixed position when beating the snot out of something in the vise.
Consider adjustable "feet" to hold the table in place. If you have used proper casters you'll need something to hold the table when doing heavy work.
Don't bolt anything to the top of the table. You'll lose versatility. You should always be able to lay something on the table that's bigger than the table.
Consider building a cutting table at the end. Keeps all the nasty work off the smooth top of your table.
Angle braces under the table will only get in the way. If you use proper building materials and good welding techniques they aren't needed.

Lastly, post pics and update us on your progress.

20160224_112809 (1280x720).jpg