Buying Advice Need some opinions and perhaps guidance on a new tractor decision. 50+ HP

/ Need some opinions and perhaps guidance on a new tractor decision. 50+ HP
If you don't have animals to use the hay, you might be able to get it done in trade. They come in, do the work and take the bales with them. You get a cleaned off field.

Goats are incoming (we found someone selling a herd of them on CL) for thinning some woods and we're looking for a couple cows right now. I've always wanted a Longhorn. lol

I'm just not sure that bailing hay of our land is gonna happen. I'd love to be able to do that, but am totally prepared to purchase hay.

The L-6060 does give you the hydro so if you are possibly going to have other drivers anyone can virtually drive a hydro easily vs a gear drive!

Okay, so this is one of the legitimate concerns and things I've debated about with myself.

L vs M.

The only other driver would be the missus. Don't think our toddler is going to be ready for a few more years ��. Now, the missus isn't the best on a stick shift. She can get my 5th gen SS Camaro around a level parking lot... eventually. I think for her, the inability to see well in that car makes her fret and puts learning to drive manual more difficult.

I haven't tried to teach her anything on the AC 5040. Doesn't seem safe. No good place for me to stand next to her, or her next to me to watch.

So, the Hydro vs Geared trans is one I've bounced around about a lot. I do not like the idea of having a tractor she cannot operate reasonably well and without stressing about.

More thought I suppose.

Obligatory pictures of the new spread:

Lower pasture and damaged fencing from the last hurricane.
https://i.imgur.com/Nf4QD7A.jpg

"South Side" pasture
https://i.imgur.com/QPjyxTR.jpg

Last edited:
   / Need some opinions and perhaps guidance on a new tractor decision. 50+ HP #12  
The only other driver would be the missus. Now, the missus isn't the best on a stick shift. She can get my 5th gen SS Camaro around a level parking lot... eventually. I think for her, the inability to see well in that car makes her fret and puts learning to drive manual more difficult.

So, the Hydro vs Geared trans is one I've bounced around about a lot. I do not like the idea of having a tractor she cannot operate reasonably well and without stressing about.

Hydraulic shuttle shift on a Kubota M bears little resemblance to a car clutch & gear transmission. The tractor clutch is automated. No depressing a clutch pedal with the left leg. No balancing clutch and throttle speed.

Visibility from an M is superb, with or without a cab but an M is a utility tractor, not a compact tractor. Ms have a Category 2 Three Point Hitch. Utility tractors are fairly large in size. It will take twenty engine hours or so to get used to.

It will be the tractor size not the hydraulic shuttle transmission, your wife may find intimidating.

VIDEO: Kubota M76 Walk Around and Driving Demo - YouTube

(( Transmission demo at 13 minutes.))

Last edited:
   / Need some opinions and perhaps guidance on a new tractor decision. 50+ HP #13  
Don't be orange blind. Shop all colors with open eyes.

I couldn't agree more with this. Limiting yourself to only looking at Kubota is like only looking at the chicken offerings on the menu at a restaurant. You might miss out on that tasty steak dinner.

Many other brands besides Kubota and Deere. Mahindra, Kioti, LS, RK, Yanmar, Massey, Branson, and many others. Many good brands out there. Shop based on the quality and service you get from the dealers in your area and you won't be disappointed with the tractor.

/ Need some opinions and perhaps guidance on a new tractor decision. 50+ HP #14  
Welcome to TBN! :welcome:

Whereabouts in Triad? I'm a tad North of Greensboro.

This can determine dealer recommendations.

/ Need some opinions and perhaps guidance on a new tractor decision. 50+ HP #15  
A Grand L should handle any round or square bales unless you have really heavy stuff. The medium loader is rated to 1,700lbs if I recall. It depends on how much hay yiyvsre going to be moving. If it's a bit, the L will get it done. If it's going to be s lit, you probably want to move up to a M.

I can clear over an acre an hour, not quite 2 if the train is nice mowing with my 40hp L4060hstc. A L6060 should be a bit faster, maybe 2 acres an hour with a bigger mower. 20 acres is going to be around 10-15 hours at that rate. How often do you need to burn the time mowing it? I do a few 3-10 acre mowing jobs a month & other stuff as a side gig with my L4060. I'd like to upgrade to a L6060, but the 40hp gets the job done well enough to make it worth my time.

My L4060 is a Cat1 machine. Somewhere between it & the L6060 it changes over to a Cat2 machine. You should be able to put Cat1 impliments on a Cat2 machine with the right bushings. But the question becomes will the big machine pretzel the lighter impliment. Even if not, the small impliment might be narrower than the tractor, which isnt usually that good operationally.

The L6060 might get it done for you fine. But depending on how much work & how often you might need to step up to a M for the required performance.

/ Need some opinions and perhaps guidance on a new tractor decision. 50+ HP
Welcome to TBN! :welcome:

Whereabouts in Triad? I'm a tad North of Greensboro.

This can determine dealer recommendations.

About 2.5 miles off of 40, smack dab between Winston and Greensboro.

Thanks for the welcome!

/ Need some opinions and perhaps guidance on a new tractor decision. 50+ HP #18  
I have 80 acres in NE WA state. Mile long gravel driveway and 100% giant ancient Ponderosa pines. I started with a 26hp brand new Ford 4WD in 1982 when we moved onto the property. It did just fine for the smaller projects until 2009 when I traded it in for a new Kubota M6040. I have a Land Pride SGC1560 grapple on the FEL, running thru a WR Long third function valve - - the rear tires are loaded with 1500 pounds of RimGuard and I have a Rhino 950 - 96" @ 1100 pound rear blade on the 3-point. The package weighs 10,100 pounds,

My Kubota is very adequate to take on the bigger projects now - moving LARGE rocks - summer driveway maintenance - moving LARGE chunks of pine trunks. Building and maintaining a road to the far side of the property.

After having the open station Ford for 27 years I knew, as much as I might have wanted a cab, the new Kubota would have to be open station also. It would simply get severe damage trying to move around and between the big pines. Here are some pictures

View attachment 575916View attachment 575917View attachment 575918

/ Need some opinions and perhaps guidance on a new tractor decision. 50+ HP #19  
About 2.5 miles off of 40, smack dab between Winston and Greensboro.

Sounds like a K'ville lurker! :D

If you're native you may already know where the major players (NH, Deere, Kubota) are around here. For tire kicking try Joe's in Thomasville for LS, Winston tractor for Mahindra and my favorite-Reedy Creek for Kioti.

Sit in them all. I can tell you first hand that it can possibly change your mindset/opinion. I never even considered a Kioti until after evaluating seating/ergonomics of each.

/ Need some opinions and perhaps guidance on a new tractor decision. 50+ HP #20  
So we just got the deed signed and the place is ours now. 33 acres in NC. Nice mix of rolling pasture and woods. Farm came with an AC 5040, 2wd and loader.

Taking the Gator around all the property, is a bit intimidating. We bought from a fella that is in his 90's now. It's apparent that despite his best efforts (which he did a darn fine job of by the way!) there are several past years worth of clean up needed. There are also some fairly steep hills and a couple of seriously wet spots by the creek.

Tasks I need to handle:
  • Maintain a nearly mile long gravel driveway/road
  • Mowing about 20 acres
  • Downed trees and brush clearing
  • Round bale handling
  • General mini-farm work
  • Fencing repairs

I'm thinking in the territory of an M5040 through an M7060. I'll only be considering a MFWD with a loader and I'd really like a cab. I've used a newer L6060 and I just don't feel like there's enough tractor there to do the things I want it to do. Am I crazy? The L series just seem like they're too little and light. Than again, I have no first experience with running an M model tractor.

Thinking that a EA Wicked Grapple and a hefty box blade will be purchased from the get go for whatever tractor I wind up with.

Thoughts?

90 plus acres here, and I bought an MX 5100. I didn't want a cab, but wanted lot's of HP. The MX's are great tractors, but need plenty of extra weight in the butt. I also bought an EA grapple and their heavy duty box blade and their landscape rake, it does a great job cleaning up paths.