Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated #31  
Ah, but back when the Oliver 50 series where new it could have been a hydraulic front wheel assist,
Dumont Museum Photo Album

or a mechanical front wheel assist;
Dumont Museum Photo Album

and where does this fit in, no way to disengage the front drive here, and it's front steer with equal size tires all around;
Pair of Unique Ford County Tractors in Minnesota | Machinery Pete

I like that Ford!
County was a good name for it. That was probably the turning radius.

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated #33  
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Baaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssssh, I dont like that answer..................

My tractor is not a Mechanical Front Wheel Drive tractor. It's a Mechanical Four Wheel Drive tractor, with one wheel on front that has Optional Drive Capability ODC, meaning when the tractor gets stuck one wheel just sits there to help hold up the front end................
No. Both wheels apply the same drive force in a std differential. With a limited slip diff both wheels will spin if both have traction beyond some minimal value. The latter arrangement can garner full tractive force from both wheels.

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated #34  
My new Ram Power Wagon has 2WD, 4WD & AWD. I can throw the lever into 4WD and it puts power to both the front & rear drive lines. I can twist the knob and LOCK the front, rear & middle differentials. At that point, I better be in something pretty slick. Power is going, 25%, to each of the four wheels. No slipping in the mid differential nor the front or rear differentials. This last case is what I would call TRUE, 4WD.

NOW we're getting into meaningful discussion. :thumbsup: That must be why it's called a PowerWagon! Years ago a friend bought a GMC which would also lock up both axles. He said "I don't know what it will take to stop it, but it will be something mighty big."

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated #35  
I thought MFWD meant Manufacturers Four Wheel Drive to distinguish it from aftermarket front drive axles which were available in the 60s and 70s. But I guess not.

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated
No. Both wheels apply the same drive force in a std differential. With a limited slip diff both wheels will spin if both have traction beyond some minimal value. The latter arrangement can garner full tractive force from both wheels.

Are you saying my tractor has a limited slip front end? Almost seems like we're creating more questions then answers, sign of a normal thread.

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated #37  
Yeah, this thread is wandering into fantasy land. :rolleyes:

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated #38  
My MFWD tractor has "mechanical" diff locks on BOTH, front and rear axles.

SR

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated #39  

Are you saying my tractor has a limited slip front end? Almost seems like we're creating more questions then answers, sign of a normal thread.
It might be limited slip or open. It should be in your tractor specs. Its almost surely not a posi-locker cuz that would really hamper turning.

The worst case for motive force would be the open diff because its limit is 2x the force delivered by the wheel with least traction. If one wheels on ice its almost like both are.

A limited slip is better, sending more torque to the wheel with more traction.

A locker is like a solid axle. It forces both wheels to turn equally.​

How Differentials Work | HowStuffWorks

My 7520 front is a Carraro limited slip. If one wheel has no traction it just spins like its an open diff. ... But if one has ~ 20 or 30% of what the other has they both will spin.

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated #40  
My MFWD tractor has "mechanical" diff locks on BOTH, front and rear axles.

SR
I sure wish I had that sometimes. A Kioti I saw once had it. Im sure it comes in handy.