Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated
It might be limited slip or open. It should be in your tractor specs. Its almost surely not a posi-locker cuz that would really hamper turning.

The worst case for motive force would be the open diff because its limit is 2x the force delivered by the wheel with least traction. If one wheels on ice its almost like both are.

A limited slip is better, sending more torque to the wheel with more traction.

A locker is like a solid axle. It forces both wheels to turn equally.​

How Differentials Work | HowStuffWorks

My 7520 front is a Carraro limited slip. If one wheel has no traction it just spins like its an open diff. ... But if one has ~ 20 or 30% of what the other has they both will spin.

I'm quite sure my tractor has open front end, when ever one wheel comes off the ground that one spins and usually have to lock the rears in, it's really a 3 wheel drive.

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated
My MFWD tractor has "mechanical" diff locks on BOTH, front and rear axles.

SR

Well you have a real tractor, maybe someday I'll get one.............

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated #43  
I'm quite sure my tractor has open front end, when ever one wheel comes off the ground that one spins and usually have to lock the rears in, it's really a 3 wheel drive.
If open diff you have twice the drive force from the axle pair as from the wheel having the least traction. If the slippery side has any traction the good side will deliver that much force too.

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated #44  
Well you have a real tractor, maybe someday I'll get one.............
It was an option on that tractor, and I didn't buy it new, so it was the luck of the draw...

SR