Grading with a loader

/ Grading with a loader #11  
It痴 tough to make things smooth with a loader, mainly because you can稚 really keep an eye on the bucket edge.

Best bet is to do as best as you can can going forward, the curl the bucket a bit in float while going in reverse.

I used to use a 3pt tiller to fluff up the dirt and then use the floating bucket in reverse method.

That seem to work best for me...

Dale

/ Grading with a loader #12  
That seem to work best for me...

Dale

It works good for putting a nice finish on loose material but close to useless for establishing a grade.

/ Grading with a loader #13  
When it comes to one piece of equipment doing a multitude of tasks, the choice of equipment isn't nearly as important as the talent of the operator. :)

/ Grading with a loader #14  
When it comes to one piece of equipment doing a multitude of tasks, the choice of equipment isn't nearly as important as the talent of the operator. :)

True but a good operator on a dozer will beat a good operator on a loader at grading. I’ve only ran an industrial wheel loader a few times but a backhoe will never be a good grading platform regardless of the operator skill. A good operator can obviously do better but with a considerable distance between the loader and the front axel and a pivoting front axel plus poor visibility isn’t a recipe for success.

/ Grading with a loader #15  
True but a good operator on a dozer will beat a good operator on a loader at grading. I’ve only ran an industrial wheel loader a few times but a backhoe will never be a good grading platform regardless of the operator skill. A good operator can obviously do better but with a considerable distance between the loader and the front axel and a pivoting front axel plus poor visibility isn’t a recipe for success.

I absolutely agree.

With that said. A good operator on a loader will beat an amateur operator on a dozer any day. :)

/ Grading with a loader #16  
When spreading material first I back drag using the back edge of the loader while feathering the controls. I find this can provide relatively even spreading of material.. After that I may use the front edge which packs things down somewhat. After that I'll go over it with a land plane.

/ Grading with a loader #17  
Just because one can afford to buy/rent things doesn't mean they should try and operate them . Any piece of equipment only work's as good as the operator.
U-tube and online forums are not good places for learning to operate machinery. Working with eyes on supervision is the only way of learning without destroying the project,machinery or person.
Having said that,we should get togeather for plow days so some members can demonstrate their ability to preform feats they tell others how to do.

/ Grading with a loader #18  
Having said that,we should get togeather for plow days so some members can demonstrate their ability to preform feats they tell others how to do.

You mean like do a good job grading? IMG_7133.JPG

/ Grading with a loader #19  
Backdragging, preferably with a toothed edge on the bucket, works for me, and a skid steer, or, better yet, a CTL works considerably better than a CUT.

A box blade on a CUT sort of works, if you have time and patience, but doesn’t even come close to backdragging with a CUT..

/ Grading with a loader #20  
A guy that worked for a contractor I hired often, gave me a TIP about using a filled bucket for back dragging. If that is the method you are going to use, I would have to say it is helpfull to have that extra weight in float.