Stihl MS 261 C-M 18" vs 20" Bar

/ Stihl MS 261 C-M 18" vs 20" Bar #61  
My 260 is about 9 years old and has been a great saw. The 260 was replaced by the 261.

/ Stihl MS 261 C-M 18" vs 20" Bar #62  
Spent all day trying to rewind the spring, that's it, going into the trash/crush pile, never will I own a H again. Total pieces of uyt78urueiwy!

Looked up new spring, can't distinguish whether they come coiled or not, carbs same, made in China uidhjehuihgfruih!

As a side note, they, children, bought me a new H riding mower few years back which has less than 150hrs., cuts uneven, changed spindles twice, lost count of blades and

I'm fed up with it too.

Could Put it on ebay.

The huskys sell well , even as parts not running I bet that saw brings $75 or more + whatever it costs for shipping.

Just bought a used H 350 off ebay for $100- but the shipping was $68

knock off complete pull start covers are ~$20

Last edited:
   / Stihl MS 261 C-M 18" vs 20" Bar #63  
I had to look up noodling on Google. I’ve been doing it lately and didn’t even know it. Yes the shavings do look like noodles. My 261 did clog up twice but if I was careful, not a problem. I just bought a MS 261 and switched from a MS250 and was thinking how much better the new saw stays clean under the cover. I got the chain nice a sharp and it ripped those rounds in half like crazy. I assume they cut with the grain quicker than across it?

/ Stihl MS 261 C-M 18" vs 20" Bar #64  
Could Put it on ebay.

The huskys sell well , even as parts not running I bet that saw brings $75 or more + whatever it costs for shipping.

Just bought a used H 350 off ebay for $100- but the shipping was $68

knock off complete pull start covers are ~$20

My wife mentioned selling it....I'll tell you what I told her, 'I couldn't sell someone something that is a piece of sgyjki and be able to live with myself'.

I know you mean well and appreciate your input.

/ Stihl MS 261 C-M 18" vs 20" Bar #65  
I had to look up noodling on Google. I’ve been doing it lately and didn’t even know it. Yes the shavings do look like noodles. My 261 did clog up twice but if I was careful, not a problem. I just bought a MS 261 and switched from a MS250 and was thinking how much better the new saw stays clean under the cover. I got the chain nice a sharp and it ripped those rounds in half like crazy. I assume they cut with the grain quicker than across it?

I hadn't heard of it either...I need to make some lumber out of any of the pines that are usable (lumber for myself and not public) so I'll be noodling...looking at the MS 261.

/ Stihl MS 261 C-M 18" vs 20" Bar #66  
My 260 is about 9 years old and has been a great saw. The 260 was replaced by the 261.

I'm considering the MS 261...glad to hear you've had good results with your 260.

/ Stihl MS 261 C-M 18" vs 20" Bar #67  
I had a 261 and it was a great saw. Being a pro model Stihl, it's built well and will last a long time. Only weakness was poor chip flow. If you noodle with that saw it will get clogged up something fierce. Stihl changed the clutch cover on newer models to save weight, and I don't know if that makes the problem better or worse. For regular cutting it will probably be fine for 99% of users.

I sold my 261 when I got a larger 60cc Husky that was much more powerful and not much heavier. I just stopped using the 261 enough to keep it around. Sold it to a forum member here.

I would buy another 261 in a heartbeat if I needed a 50cc Stihl. Husky and Echo also make good 50cc pro saws.

Is Echo a subsidiary of H?

/ Stihl MS 261 C-M 18" vs 20" Bar #68  
I'm considering the MS 261...glad to hear you've had good results with your 260.

Owned an MS 261 for quite a few years now. It's been flawless - no problems to report whatsoever. I did have the dealer put an 18" bar on it when I bought it. The MS 261 is my "light" chainsaw; I have a 40 year old Homelite Professional Model for my "heavy" work. The only thing I wish the MS 261 had was an auxilliary manual oiler for when I'm working dry, long dead cedar logs. The Homelite came standard with one of those auxilliary oilers (thumb operated) and I always find it very handy to add extra oil when cutting dead wood. Keeps the chain cooler and it lasts longer.

/ Stihl MS 261 C-M 18" vs 20" Bar #69  
Is Echo a subsidiary of H?

No, Echo has always been a Japanese company with manufacturing plants in the US

Chainsaws are made in Lake Zurich, Illinois

/ Stihl MS 261 C-M 18" vs 20" Bar #70  
I bet the Stihl 361 or what ever is current will make firewood, BBQ a lot faster than a 261. I have owned lighter chainsaws not the 261. I have a Stihl 36 with a 18 inch bar and their was a big difference in speed cutting firewood. It pulls right through. Have you thought about the bigger chainsaw? My 36 has a compression release which makes the bigger chainsaw easy to start.