Stihl MS 261 C-M 18" vs 20" Bar

/ Stihl MS 261 C-M 18" vs 20" Bar #71  
No, Echo has always been a Japanese company with manufacturing plants in the US

Chainsaws are made in Lake Zurich, Illinois

Okay...that's encouraging, their color reminded me of the H. Thanks for the input.

/ Stihl MS 261 C-M 18" vs 20" Bar #72  
I bet the Stihl 361 or what ever is current will make firewood, BBQ a lot faster than a 261. I have owned lighter chainsaws not the 261. I have a Stihl 36 with a 18 inch bar and their was a big difference in speed cutting firewood. It pulls right through. Have you thought about the bigger chainsaw? My 36 has a compression release which makes the bigger chainsaw easy to start.

Yes on the larger versions available...have to look the Sthil 36. Have a portable diesel generator w decompression lever, when I forget to use it and try to start generator, the pull cord will jerk the gen. halfway across the garage.

/ Stihl MS 261 C-M 18" vs 20" Bar #73  
I looked at some bigger Stihl saws in the farm and ranch category. For the same money as the MS 261 you could get a bigger saw but they weighed more. I’d say unless you do serious logging a 261 is more than enough saw for most people.

/ Stihl MS 261 C-M 18" vs 20" Bar #74  
My wife mentioned selling it....I'll tell you what I told her, 'I couldn't sell someone something that is a piece of sgyjki and be able to live with myself'.

I know you mean well and appreciate your input.

Not trying to be snarky,
but the 345 is the same basic design as the 350. These clamshell huskies and jonsered 2150 models are sought after because they are easily modified and people like to port them / raise compression/ muffler mod them. After market cylinder and piston kits can be had for under $40.

If you really don't want that Husky- someone on ebay WILL bid on that saw because they are going to tear it completely down and modify it. they will probably thank you:D

Right now there aren't many listed either.

A 350 i almost bid on about 2 weeks back- (locked solid) still brought $86 plus shipping.

Husqvarna 35 Parts Chainsaw GREAT LOOKING BUT LOCKED UP | eBay

Found a 345 runner with 2 bars and free ship 16 bids at $172 - 2 days left on auction...

here is a modded version
Husky 357 intake /carb and ported 346 xp cylinder/350

HUSQVARNA 350 XP PORTED - YouTube

Or an older vid of a 346XP ported:D
Husqvarna 346 xp ported by Brad Snelling - YouTube

Last edited:
   / Stihl MS 261 C-M 18" vs 20" Bar #75  
Yes on the larger versions available...have to look the Sthil 36. Have a portable diesel generator w decompression lever, when I forget to use it and try to start generator, the pull cord will jerk the gen. halfway across the garage.

The Stihl 36 became the 360 and then the 361 and maybe the 362. I am not sure about current model but they are all the same saw. I think the 36 and models were a Pro model. If you get it with a 18 bar and chain the weight is not too bad. It sure does make short work of cutting firewood, BBQ wood. We use a lot of BBQ wood in Texas. I have a big 700 pound smoker.

/ Stihl MS 261 C-M 18" vs 20" Bar #76  
Owned an MS 261 for quite a few years now. It's been flawless - no problems to report whatsoever. I did have the dealer put an 18" bar on it when I bought it. The MS 261 is my "light" chainsaw; I have a 40 year old Homelite Professional Model for my "heavy" work. The only thing I wish the MS 261 had was an auxilliary manual oiler for when I'm working dry, long dead cedar logs. The Homelite came standard with one of those auxilliary oilers (thumb operated) and I always find it very handy to add extra oil when cutting dead wood. Keeps the chain cooler and it lasts longer.

Interesting, well I definitely want an auxiliary oiler so if the 261 doesn't provide that, then it would be off my list. Thanks for the input.

/ Stihl MS 261 C-M 18" vs 20" Bar #77  
I bet the Stihl 361 or what ever is current will make firewood, BBQ a lot faster than a 261. I have owned lighter chainsaws not the 261. I have a Stihl 36 with a 18 inch bar and their was a big difference in speed cutting firewood. It pulls right through. Have you thought about the bigger chainsaw? My 36 has a compression release which makes the bigger chainsaw easy to start.

The 260 has a compression release so assume the 261 does as well.

/ Stihl MS 261 C-M 18" vs 20" Bar #79  
I got my 261 just a few weeks ago and yes it does have compression release. No auxiliary Oiler though but you can adjust the amount of oil dispensed with a simple screw.

/ Stihl MS 261 C-M 18" vs 20" Bar #80  
I cut almost all dry wood mainly oak. We have a lot of different oaks with post oak about the hardest. I do not feel like I ever needed a manual oiler. I only use Stihl oil for both chain bar and 2 cycle. I like the Stihl bar oil.