Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #41  
From 2020 and on, all new tractors sold, have to have emissions control systems on it. There are still some exceptions for the old stock but after that, there is no other way around.

It should also be a matter of time till they come up with yearly inspections on tractor like they do on on-road vehicles.

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #42  
The DPF and SCR systems are the least intrusive to engine thermodynamic operation, so they will eventually be adopted by the holdouts still using a DOC.

The DPF is a catch and hold device, relying on some passive regeneration, and occasional active regeneration. The DOC basically relies on a 電etuned engine whether hot exhaust gasses.

SCR lets you run comparatively advanced timing and reduced EGR rates.

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #43  
The EPA published a proposed rule for comment in January of 2020 (attached). These proposed rules will dictate the next phase for diesel emissions technology.

Interestingly, one of the issues the rule discusses potential remedies too is heat retention in the DPF/DOC after treatment systems to improve effectiveness of the process as well as preventing issues with plugging of the filters. Many of us have commented that the issues being seen with plugging that require dealer intervention are directly attributed to operation at low RPM/Load such that the soot does not get effectively removed during operation.

Unfortunately, I only recently ran across this proposed rule making after the comment period had expired.
View attachment 2020-00542.pdf

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #44  
Thanks for posting that Jay. Shoot it would have been nice if tractor users on all the tractor forums would have commented.

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0
I assume emission requirements will further tighten, does anyone know when tier V is coming and what it will entail?

Kubota's Annual Report to shareholders for 2019, recently published on the web, states that all Kubota engines sold in Europe are fully Tier V compliant.

Many of us have commented that the issues being seen with plugging that require dealer intervention are directly attributed to operation at low RPM/Load such that the soot does not get effectively removed during operation.

I am sure this is one reason. Stationary regeneration is the alternative to active regeneration while working.

Neal at Messicks shares the experience of my local Kubota dealer: Most problems arise when owner/operators do not read or do not heed the information on regeneration in the tractor Operator's Manual. Messicks and my dealer attribute 90% of regeneration problems directly to operator error.

How many employee operators are instructed in regeneration?

Many who own Tier IV compliant tractors in residential use only record 60 - 80 engine hours per year, hence barely regenerate once per year. Owners forget/ignore the infrequent procedure.

Last edited:
   / Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #46  
Kubota's Annual Report to shareholders for 2019, recently published on the web, states that all Kubota engines sold in Europe are fully Tier V compliant.

Maybe this is what ptsg is referring to?

From 2020 and on, all new tractors sold, have to have emissions control systems on it.

Neal at Messicks shares the experience of my local Kubota dealer: Most problems arise when owner/operators do not read or do not heed the information on regeneration in the tractor Operator's Manual. Messicks and my dealer attribute 90% of regeneration problems directly to operator error.....

I'm sure this is true Jeff but it appears not to matter how you're using your machine, not running your machine practically at full pto rpm all the time is now defined as "operator error". While doing so extends the time between regens it also consumes more fuel and makes more noise. It probably makes sense now to buy the least HP that'll do the work and run it WFO all the time.

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #47  
I've never investigate this subject too much, but after a quick search, yes, Tier V is a thing since 2019 in Europe. I had no idea though.

Here a bit more info on that: Emission Standards: Europe: Nonroad Engines

Emissions are getting really tight here on off-road engines. On on-road vehicles it was already very tight.

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #48  
From 2020 and on, all new tractors sold, have to have emissions control systems on it. There are still some exceptions for the old stock but after that, there is no other way around.

It should also be a matter of time till they come up with yearly inspections on tractor like they do on on-road vehicles.

Currently 33 of 50 states require some sort of emissions inspections for on-road vehicles.

It would be interesting to see how homeowner tractor inspections would be monitored, if the tractor is never driven on roadways, and never goes to a dealer.
My tractors are not taxed yearly, and few know that I even have them.

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #49  
Currently 33 of 50 states require some sort of emissions inspections for on-road vehicles.

It would be interesting to see how homeowner tractor inspections would be monitored, if the tractor is never driven on roadways, and never goes to a dealer.
My tractors are not taxed yearly, and few know that I even have them.

Our inspections on on-road vehicles are a bit more deep than that.

Here is a list of what they check:

- All the lights and horn and check the height of the front lights
- Check the VIN number to see if it matches the vehicle title
- Check if tires are still good, re all the same size and if the size matches the one homologated in the title
- Measure the exhaust gases emissions to see if there is anything dodgy going on
- Test front and rear brakes and also the parking brakes as well as the alignment of the car
- Test the shocks
- Visual inspection under the vehicle to check suspension, bushings, brake lines, any redneck repairs or modifications of the exhaust. Also they put the car over some plates that can move hydraulically, so they can push/pull the wheels back/forth and side to side to check all the suspension parts
- Check all the seat belts and if the triangle safety sign and safety vest are indeed in the car

I think that's all.

For the tractors, if they really go forward with that, it won't to be too hard either. Tractors are required to have license plate, therefore they have a title as well and have to have insurance to drive on the road. No yearly taxes on tractors yet.

But it still interesting to see what they will check up. I'm sure they will check all the safety features of the tractor, like seat belts and ROPS, since we have lots of deaths from roll overs but this is more related to my country in particular.

Last edited:
   / Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #50  
If this emmission stuff keeps going like this for diesel engines, I see a return to gas engines in tractors. Already seeing that in Pickup and even Medium duty trucks.

Makes me so glad all my diesel powered equipment is Tier 2 and before. Should last me the rest of my days. I would HATE running my tractors etc at pto rated rpm all the time.