Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #182  
I can tell you from experience with my L2501 HST, going from 25 HP stock, to 44.1 HP with the Turbo Kit, was a significant improvement in operating performance. Luckily, no regen or DPF for me.

DPF equipped tractors produce only ~ 1% ~ of the cancer and smog producing diesel particulates which are produces by ~ 25-horsepower ~ diesel tractors without DPFs.

Turbocharging an L2501 so it produces 200 times as much pollution as a 33-39 horsepower, DPF equipped Kubota tractor should be a crime.

If you need > 25-horsepower buy a DPF equipped, legal machine.
How does adding a TC cause it to produce 200 times as much pollution?

"Because turbochargers give your car extra power without increasing the size of the engine, they're typically more fuel-efficient than larger engines"

"that is where the turbocharger gets another big advantage. When working well, they can save fuel! And since they burn fuel with more oxygen, they often burn the fuel more cleanly, which produces less air pollution. This makes a turbocharger engine an eco-friendly choice too."

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #183  
I can tell you from experience with my L2501 HST, going from 25 HP stock, to 44.1 HP with the Turbo Kit, was a significant improvement in operating performance. Luckily, no regen or DPF for me.

DPF equipped tractors produce only ~ 1% ~ of the cancer and smog producing diesel particulates which are produces by ~ 25-horsepower ~ diesel tractors without DPFs.

Turbocharging an L2501 so it produces 200 times as much pollution as a 33-39 horsepower, DPF equipped Kubota tractor should be a crime.

If you need > 25-horsepower buy a DPF equipped, legal machine.
I dunno Jeff does it really make much difference in the whole scheme of things? There are literally millions of acres of forest on fire right now in Canada and probably thousands here in the US. My 2013 doesn't have a DPF but it met the EPA's regulations at that time so cleaner than old, old, tractors, and all are now using Ultra Low Sulfur fuel.

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0
If I go older which years would be good to look at?

Stricter Tier IV off-road diesel engine emission reduction standards phased in dealer tractor inventory during 2009 - 2012, impacting tractor prices.

Tier IV emission standards require tractor manufacturers to add or revise pollution reduction technology on new tractors generating over 19 kW power = 25.4794 horsepower.

DPF is used by the majority of tractor manufactures for emissions control on OVER 24.4794 horsepower tractors.

Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) captures exhaust particulates (soot) in a ceramic matrix. When tractor engine runs sufficiently hot, accumulated particulates burn off periodically without operator intervention. If engine is not run continuously hot long enough to burn off particulates, diesel soot accumulates in the matrix. Once heavy soot accumulates in DPF the tractor forces soot clearance with the tractor parked and throttle open to about 2,200 rpm for about sixteen minutes, which makes the DPF REALLY HOT to burn off all accumulated soot. Burning off accumulated soot, either during operation or parked is called REGENERATION.

The pollutants emitted by a TierIV technology tractor are about 1% of the pollutants emitted by a pre-Tier IV tractor.

Regeneration is an infrequent DPF event with my Kubota three cylinder, 37-horsepower engine. Generally once every sixty engine hours. (Very consistent in Florida due to warm weather.)

60 hours X 60 minutes = 3,600 minutes.

16 regeneration minutes /3,600 = .00444 = 4/10s of 1% of engine time is consumed during parked regeneration.

Fuel cost for sixteen minute parked regeneration @ 2,200 rpm ~~$1.00.

Forty percent of my regenerations occur during operation, sixty percent parked.

The average residential tractor operates eighty engine hours per year, according to industry surveys.

3,000 hours DPF Life / 80 hours = 37.5 years of residential use prior to DPF replacement.

Diesel Particulate Filter supersedes tractor muffler.
At some point in time DPF needs to be replaced.
At some point in time tractors with mufflers need the muffler replaced.

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0

Massey Ferguson 255​

Massey Ferguson 255 tractor photo
1975 - 1981
200 Series
Row-Crop tractor
Massey Ferguson 255 Power
Drawbar (claimed)42 hp
31.3 kW
PTO (claimed)50 hp
37.3 kW
Drawbar (tested)43.49 hp
32.4 kW
PTO (tested)52.68 hp
39.3 kW
Mechanical
Two-wheel drive
Differential lockmechanical rear
Massey Ferguson 255 Weight
Diesel Shipping5850 lbs
2653 kg
Diesel Operating6415 lbs
2909 kg
Ballasted7310 lbs
3315 kg

Im shopping around for a replacement for my MF255 (open station). Im getting over the hill and Id like some comfort when snowblowing or bush cutting.
Ive been looking online for a good used tractor, researching different models obsessing like anyone does.
Ive been looking at some smaller 35 HP kubotas .
If I go older which years would be good to look at?
Unless you intend to replace your snow blower and rotary cutter with lighter, narrower models you will need at least 55-horsepower at the PTO to replicate the performance of your open station MF 255.

A cab weighs 700 pounds. Cab A/C requires 4-5 horsepower to power in hot weather. You may wish to consider 55 to 60 horsepower.

Are your existing implements Category 1 or Category 2 at the Three Point Hitch?