New PT-180 owner

/ New PT-180 owner #122  
Before I bought a china brand cheetah that was on sale, I put a ball valve on the bottom of my air compress drain port and a 1 1/4 hose. I would dump the tank through the hose and it would actually work to seat the tire. But if you let go of the hose it would whip around. Make sure you where hearing protection!

/ New PT-180 owner
Is it normal for your exhaust to turn red under normal use? MVIMG_20200614_210656.jpg

/ New PT-180 owner #124  
I had a skidsteer with a Ford Industrial gas engine. A vacuum hose came off (the distributor) and retarded the timing. The exhaust manifold glowed bright red. Put the hose back on, and problem solved.

/ New PT-180 owner #125  
It's a custom exhaust manufactured by PT and has a right angle in it right at that glow point. Many of the PT exhausts that they make get really hot. It's another one of those quirks of their designs. The muffler sits outside the engine compartment. There's pictures somewhere on here.

I've seen many lawn tractors that have glowing mufflers. I had a couple Simplicities that did it.

My 2001 model year PT425 with the Kohler engine has a Kohler muffler. It gets hot, but doesn't glow red. It's also inside the engine compartment, so it's protected from brush and debris, and, likewise I can't touch it or any of the exhaust by accident unless I open the engine compartment.

/ New PT-180 owner #126  
As MR pointed out, it is a common thing on the PT gas mufflers. Poor timing, and / or the wrong octane of fuel can make it worse. Some of my small engines run on 87, others on 89RM octane. Air cooled engines are generally quite sensitive to the octane of the fuel, and hot (overheated?) exhausts are a symptom.

All the best,

Peter

/ New PT-180 owner
It's a custom exhaust manufactured by PT and has a right angle in it right at that glow point. Many of the PT exhausts that they make get really hot. It's another one of those quirks of their designs. The muffler sits outside the engine compartment. There's pictures somewhere on here.

I've seen many lawn tractors that have glowing mufflers. I had a couple Simplicities that did it.

My 2001 model year PT425 with the Kohler engine has a Kohler muffler. It gets hot, but doesn't glow red. It's also inside the engine compartment, so it's protected from brush and debris, and, likewise I can't touch it or any of the exhaust by accident unless I open the engine compartment.
Thanks MR.

Pony- I am going to try some mid grade in it. I honestly think the only reason why I noticed is because it was dark and I looked over my shoulder and wondered what the glow was, haha.

/ New PT-180 owner #128  
That is why you idle it for a few minutes before you shut it off. And make sure you keep all cooling fins and ports clean. Don't let grass build up. I think I would worry when you could see it in daylight. Here are some temps (so yours was around 800 deg.) {FYI diesel truck limit exh gas temp to 1275 deg}.
::C ----- ::F ---- Color

400 -- 752 -- Red heat, visible in the dark
474 -- 885 -- Red heat, visible in the twilight
525 -- 975 -- Red heat, visible in the daylight
581 -- 1077 - Red heat, visible in the sunlight

/ New PT-180 owner #129  
FWIW: In general, higher octane will make the exhaust hotter. The higher octane burns slower, reducing the knocking, but burning slower means some of it can still be burning downstream of the engine valves, potentially heating the exhaust manifold.

All the best,

Peter

/ New PT-180 owner #130  
You guys are so wrong. As pt has no rear marker light they use the glowing exhaust port as a night marker so you don’t get rear ended.