Tractor Sizing Looking for HP Recommendation

/ Looking for HP Recommendation #41  
I'm more likely to to to the L4060 than to jump to the L4701.

The L4060 along with other 'Grand L' models will not fit under an 84" garage header. The 'Grand L' ground level fueling is great but fuel storage under the tractor raises the overall height of the tractor and ROPS. I had a very skilled welder cut about 5" of the bottom of the ROPS of my 2013 L3560 in order for it to enter my garage with the ROPS folded.

The 'old style' L4701 will enter a garage with standard 84" header, as will an MX with 'old style' climb-up-to-fuel-from-above.

Many with five acres will not want to build dedicated tractor storage.

WHAT IS YOUR ALTITUDE?

/ Looking for HP Recommendation #42  
personally, i'd be choosing the appropriate tractor for the tasks ahead rather than buying a model to conveniently fit in a structure.
all kinds of options can follow for storage

/ Looking for HP Recommendation #43  
Maybe it’s just me but it seems like you are looking at an awfully big tractor for 5 acres. Most people if they make a mistake is buying to small but it can go the other way and you can buy to big.

/ Looking for HP Recommendation
Thanks Jeff and Bubba. I have a really well established range now that I can target based on price and availability. A 2020 2038R with with a bunch of implements has popped up at a dealer over the weekend too. At the lower end of the size range but still seems a capable unit. The price seems too good to be true so I'm going to call them when they open and see what is up.

/ Looking for HP Recommendation #45  
Hey all! First time poster here. We are moving to an acreage in just over a month and I'm hoping you can help with a horsepower recommendation.

Primary tasks:
- Mowing (if I can get away with a small enough tractor I would do MMM. If not, I would do a finish mower and get a separate ZTR).
- Snowblower and/or Blade
- Potentially running auger for post hole digging off PTO
- Tilling for breaking hard ground - clay/grass to be able to till it and then plant trees
- Will also include a loader

Total lot size is 5 acres and we would be planting trees around almost the entire perimeter. The ground is hard, dry clay and I want a unit that I can use for the ongoing yard maintenance, but that isn't going to strain if I ask it to break ground. Land is fairly flat, any hills are subtle.

Let me know if you need any more info to help answer, thank you!

D

Only need 18 hp for those tasks. All I need to bush hogging with 4 ft. Prolly same for 4 ft tiller.

Loader work only needs maybe 15 hp unless you're trying to dig some dirt with it. Then 25 or more. Loaders aren't good for digging in hard dirt.

For planting trees, you'd be better off soaking that clay first and digging by hand. Otherwise, need a back hoe.

Ralph

/ Looking for HP Recommendation #46  
Since I'm back home with a full size keyboard I'm going to jump in this thread too :D ...and say that the time you have available to do these tasks is the driver for the size & hp of the of the tractor (hp and size can be very different things).

For example mowing, how much of the acreage are you going to keep mowed as a lawn/yard? How often will you be mowing it and how much time do you have to mow it? This would drive the size of the mower you'll want/need which in turn will drive the PTO hp. I wouldn't recommend going below 5hp per foot of mower width, and I wouldn't count on being able to go faster than 3-5mph unless you plan on making your yard golf course smooth and keeping it that way. BTW you'll also want to compare where the prices of MMM vs. 3pt finish mowers vs. standalone mower end up as there can be some very distinctive price differences at different sizes. For example a quality 72 inch 3pt finish mower can be much less expensive than a similarly sized MMM or independent mower. There can be a bit more of a learning curve with a 3pt mower, but having had MMM and zero-turns I'd say it also has it's own distinct advantages as well ..... higher lift heights and not being between the wheels being a couple.

Likewise if you look around you'll probably be able to find some recommendations on hp per foot of working with for snowblowers, and you'll probably want to go with one that covers the width of the tractor -- not necessarily a requirement to cover the tractor width, but .....can make things a bit easier. Depending on the amount and type (powder vs slush) of snow you get snow pushers or blades may be a preferable alternative. Large amounts of wet snow will require more hp to move at the same width & speed as a dryer/powdery snow. That may not be as much of an issue with newer tractors, but with older ones you may run into an issue of not having enough hp at the PTO to make a snowblower worthwhile.

Unless your property is free of rocks and roots I wouldn't recommend a PTO auger (unless of course you're a glutton for punishment). Been there done that and 20 years later still remember how much of a nuisance it was to free a PTO auger after it'd caught on an underground obstruction and had to be freed by hand. Suggest either renting a skid steer with a hydraulic auger or getting a tractor that can run one on the loader (the down pressure and ability to reverse the auger can be good things - especially in challenging soil conditions).

Tilling would also fall into the same thought process as mowing - though the hp per foot of width will be different (more tends to be better). Of course when it comes to working the ground the method chosen can change the characteristics of the tractor you'll want .... PTO driven implements will drive more HP, and draft implements like plows, disk harrows, etc will want more effective draft hp (which is usually limited by the weight of the tractor).

Things to consider for the loader are what heights will you need to reach and at what distances? ....and what sort of unbreakable loads will you need to lift? For example my criteria was based off of 55 gallon drums of water (which are roughly 400-500lbs each when full) ...and don't forget the weight of the attachment/implement as the loader will still need to lift that weight too.

That leads to considering any other hard limits as far as height and width of the tractor itself along with if any tasks may call for specific options on the tractor. There's the obvious 3rd function on the loader for using grapples, but rear implements with hydraulics can also make life easier (top & tilt kits, hydraulically angled rear blades or snowblower chutes)... and of course there's always the cab vs open station consideration (which for most goes cab as soon as snow removal or extreme become a consideration).

All of those things are what should be balanced against the budget you have -- where I'd suggest looking at the budget from not only total cost but monthly costs as well (since that's usually how many payments are made).

The thing to remember when looking at tractors is the tractor is a carrier and power source and it's the implements (front and rear) that are doing the work. So look at the implements you may eventually want/need to use and how quickly you'll want/need to complete the tasks you'll be using them for and let that drive your tractor sizing.....

Apologies for the length of this, just wanted to cover the different tasks mentioned and tweak the perspective of how to look at tractor sizing/buying process ....as I'd wager most early trade-ins are based upon individuals buying a tractor based on HP rather than sizing it for the tasks the buyer wanted to do.....

Hi Jeff, the good news is the L4060 with the ROPs folded is 81" according to the dealer. A bit of management in and out of the garage but I *think* that would still fit.

Alright all! After some continued thought, sizing up, down, multiple brands and in-between, I think I am down to 2 tractors. I really, REALLY was pining after one of the new 1835/1840M MF units, started looking at Grand Ls and even a fly by on the MX but the size was too much and the increased cost didn't make sense. But it was a fun dream while lasted.

I am between the LX3310 and the John Deere 2038R. I have LX3310 pricing from one dealer (waiting from a second) and am just waiting on 2038R pricing from someone that works at the JD shop in my home town. About 2 hours away but nice to have the personal connection.

I wish Kubota made a larger HP in the LX series. I like some of the extra bells and whistles, placement of the loader arm, etc vs going up to the L series. For the JD I like the deck and command cut. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews but I'm in the IT Industry so if I can't trust technology who can. :)

Once the pricing comes in I will be making a final decision. I kind of had JD in 3rd place originally behind MF and Kubota for unknown personal bias, but the more I looked at all kinds of sizes, implements, read reviews, watched videos, etc it seems like it is the intersection of everything I am needing...but price may play a role.

It's funny in this process I learned that when looking at these tractors it really is like rock paper scissors - each mfr really has something I like, but that will be trumped by something by another mfr. It is incredibly, incredibly difficult to truly compare apples to apples (by design I'm sure), but it has been an absolute blast. Just want you to know I appreciate all of your support, and while I only came across the forum when I was searching for advice, I've starting creeping on a lot of the threads here. Great community.

Anyway thanks again, I will let you all know what I decide!

/ Looking for HP Recommendation #49  
Whatever brand and model you buy, negotiate the inclusion of electronic versions of shop manuals in the deal.

JD has the best manuals by far. If you get a loader make certain the loader installation and workshop manuals are included.

The loader installation manual shows you how the loader is tied into the tractor hydraulics. Trying to figure that out from the tractor and loader WSM is very difficult.

The loader installation manual likely includes instructions for installing a third function valve for things like a grapple

Dave M7040