Tractor Sizing Looking for HP Recommendation

/ Looking for HP Recommendation #31  
Thanks Scotty. We are doing a shelter belt so will be a minimum of 2 rows. We are thinking poplars on the outside to start because they grow like gangbusters. Haven't decided on what we want on the inside just yet. I have been back on forth on a backhoe too, but I am gonna have to get this past the house's CFO at some point as well...

The CFO was resistant to our very first tractor, but when she saw the work it did over the years it was the CFO who declared that it was time to upgrade to a new tractor .....at the time I was still satisfied to be struggling keeping the older ones going.

I wish that Kubota still made the L39 TLB. Like any TLB, it had a loader & hoe as standard, and the 3pt hitch was optional - just the opposite of most ag-derived tractors. Plus a TLB has a heavier frame, loader, & slightly wider stance. I think that would be the perfect machine for your 5 acres of what sounds like mostly landscaping work rather than clearing, plowing, or gardening.

I like multiple row shelter belts. Just this week drove through the central USA on a thousand mile trip - cold! And saw lots of the dry-land farms that have shelter belts. A popular style seems to be low junipers on the south or windward side with a row of taller trees behind. There is usually some sort of program going on with the local farm or conservation group that will help out on trees. On our place I spent a few thousand $$ on one to two foot seedlings a decade ago. Having it to do over, I would have spent two or three times as much and bought larger trees - six footers at least - and a bag or two of really good soil to put in with each one.

I've been reading and thinking about trees for years now, and am coming to believe that for shelter rows there might be an advantage to planting in a trench with prepared soil rather than in discrete holes all in a row. Comments?
BTW, about every 4th tree is a fruit tree for the critters.

Down by the creek, picking the proper tree is easy. All trees there are willows of various types. From little bunches of short streamside weedy willows all the way up to massive crack willow trees with trunks a yard across.

As for grass, I'm still experimenting with native grasses with no clear winner yet....except that it will probably be be a fine fescue of some sort.
rScotty

/ Looking for HP Recommendation
So now that I am looking at larger models, Massey has re-entered my line of sight. I, without having seen the specific model in person, have fallen in love with the new 1840M. It's a bit of premium but there are some luxury items I think would be nice to have if I ever had the better half drive the unit. If that used L3901 doesn't work out, I might consider jumping and looking at the L4060 from Kubota or the 1840M. One perk of the 1840 is still having the ability to add a mid-mount mower in addition to the front mount snowblower. Anyone have thoughts on the 1840M or Massey compacts? Info about them is much less prevalent both from their own website and via 3rd party (I think I have enough info on the Kubotas). Thanks!

/ Looking for HP Recommendation #33  
If I were to till with the loader and bucket on and end up at 2700-2800lbs is that enough weight to keep the tiller from kicking as long as I'm going the appropriate speed for how hard/tough it is?

That depends on how heavy a tiller you buy, how quickly you want to till your soil and how moist the soil is when you till. Much of this is Newton's Law about equal and opposite reactions. Heavy equipment dampens shock.

I recommend at <26 horsepower tractor to avoid the expense and complexity of Tier IV emission controls.

If you need a front PTO and MMM the Kubota LX 2610 would fill the bill, though it is a little light at 2,000 pounds bare tractor weight. Even with filled rear tires the tractor will bounce around operating a PTO-powered, forward rotating roto-tiller in hard ground. You will need to roto-till in fairly small increments, several times.

Land is fairly flat, any hills are subtle.

If you have ample time, a 2,000 pound bare weight tractor will serve you well on five acres.

If you forego the front PTO the Kubota L2501 is wider and heavier at 2,700 pounds, therefore a more stable machine. A 2,700 pound tractor will operate a roto-tiller 12" wider than a less stable 2,000 pound tractor with the same horsepower.

In any tractor line, 2,700 pounds bare weight is when a $400 FEL Bucket Spade becomes an effective tool. Really good for planting trees.

If your budget permits and you have enough storage space nothing wrong with a heavier tractor and more horsepower. I know not your altitude in Saskatoon but if over 4,000' calculate altitude power loss when determining gross tractor horsepower required. The well-informed opt for a tractor engine turbocharger at 5,000' or higher.

For planting trees i recommend renting a skid steer with an auger for a day or two at a time. You could auger in a lot of holes in a day then plant your trees and backfill with any small tractor.

== YES ==

Last edited:
   / Looking for HP Recommendation #34  
There's used L3901 a couple hours away thats 2 or 3 years old with some light use. I am wondering if that's the best to take the chance on?

It's a good deal and feel like I could easily resell at the same price if I had to...otherwise it's a jump to the L4701.

L3901 is same size and weight as L2501, but with more horsepower. Good size for five acres. Will power a wider, heavier roto-tiller than L2501. Will throw snow farther. Will power a heavy-duty 60" Rotary Mower / Bush Hog and successfully mow pretty long grass and brush. Downside: Has Tier IV emission controls.

Kubota sells few L4701s in North America. For just a bit more money one can buy an MX with much greater parts availability at the dealer tier. At my local Kubota dealer in Florida L2501 is top selling individual model. MX is top selling Kubota 'series'. Dealer usually has six or seven MX tractors in stock. In eleven years I have never seen a L4701 at this dealer, new or used.

Last edited:
   / Looking for HP Recommendation #35  
Hey all! First time poster here. We are moving to an acreage in just over a month and I'm hoping you can help with a horsepower recommendation.

Primary tasks:
- Mowing (if I can get away with a small enough tractor I would do MMM. If not, I would do a finish mower and get a separate ZTR).
- Snowblower and/or Blade
- Potentially running auger for post hole digging off PTO
- Tilling for breaking hard ground - clay/grass to be able to till it and then plant trees
- Will also include a loader

Total lot size is 5 acres and we would be planting trees around almost the entire perimeter. The ground is hard, dry clay and I want a unit that I can use for the ongoing yard maintenance, but that isn't going to strain if I ask it to break ground. Land is fairly flat, any hills are subtle.

Let me know if you need any more info to help answer, thank you!

D

Since you live in Canada, if you truly qualify as a farmer with a special card then this advice is of no use to you. On the other had you should be aware that tractors with a pto HP greater than I think 60 are tax exempt. Depending upon the province where you live it could be a 13 to 15% discount off the price.

This tax status allowed me to buy a much bigger tractor and not spend any more money.

Dave M7040

Jeff I'm not sure what I was thinking when I typed that...I'm more likely to to to the L4060 than to jump to the 47.

/ Looking for HP Recommendation #37  
I don稚 know much about the Massey compact tractors. I know when I bought my MF 2604H I looked at the 1735M. It just wasn稚 big enough for me.
Look at Massey, where I live you get more tractor for the money.
Kubota seems a bit lighter than most other tractors. My fil had a L4701 it was too light for what he needed. He traded for a JD 5055e.
I知 very satisfied with my tractor it does everything I need it to do and more.
When I bought mine it was a couple thousand less than a JD about the the same size.
Good luck with your search.

/ Looking for HP Recommendation #38  
the conversation is taking an interesting turn & for a good reason. OP: keep the dialogue going between yourself & the forum. now, the MX comes into view for you.
i'd give that a thumbs up over the L series. my only advice in your decision making is NOT to make a hasty compulsive purchase at this point

sleep on it for a good while. i've had the fever a time or two myself & wish i had waited like yourself to explore all options & needs before becoming encumbered to Kubota for the next 5 yrs or go through expensive upgrade transactions. take it from someone who has been there before

Thanks Bubba, funny you say that, I just stumbled across a used MX5100 from 2010 but it only has 250 hours and is at 26K $CAD. Frees up a lot of other money to split between a ZTR and a 3pt finish mower and other implements and still come in under buying something new. I just need to fight with myself over wanting something newer which is the biggest challenge I have. I appreciate the words of wisdom, and that's why I posted here while I did other research! Having others help persuade the Mrs on my behalf has also been invaluable. :)

/ Looking for HP Recommendation #40  
sounds like some tough decisions ahead, but think you're going in the right direction. MX series is a great compromise between power/weight and yet has the maneuverability of a smaller tractor...once owned an MX5000, great tractor
finding one w/HST would be good best regards