Tractor Sizing Looking for HP Recommendation

/ Looking for HP Recommendation
Update - wow, home town Deere guy came throw with a smoking deal on a brand new 2038R that makes it negligible to jump over the LX3310. It's near impossible to not go JD now with the extra weight and HP at that price. We are chatting again tomorrow to hash out finer details (R3 tires, adding a rear blade) but my search may be coming to an end! ETA on the unit is beginning of May so I will try to get it ordered ASAP as well as I'm sure they're about to get a whole lot busier.

/ Looking for HP Recommendation #52  
Hi Jeff, the good news is the L4060 with the ROPs folded is 81" according to the dealer. A bit of management in and out of the garage but I *think* that would still fit.

I am a little skeptical of this, however it is only logical that Kubota would have shortened the ROPS to <84" since 2013 when the /60 series came out. Mine is one of the first /60 series delivered.

Still, I suggest you make a focused post with folded L4060 ROPS height as the question before placing an order.

When I ordered my L3560 in later 2012 Kubota had not revised the ROPS spec on their web site relative to preceding /40 series so the dealer and I both had a surprise when my tractor was delivered. My dealer was grateful when I did not make a big stink. The welder's work was not that much money relative to the purchase price. Kubota dealer kindly transported tractor to and from welder at no charge. I do not have a truck nor trailer.

/ Looking for HP Recommendation #53  
Home town Deere guy came throw with a smoking deal on a brand new 2038R

A suitable tractor for five acres. It will have Tier IV pollution controls. Ample horsepower. Great engine.
Odd that tractor width is not shown in specs.
I love the new tractor smell.

John Deere 2038R

2017 - 2R Series
Compact Utility tractor
Series back: John Deere 2032R

Manufacturer: John Deere
Factory: Augusta, Georgia, USA
Original price (USD)
$23,958 (2017 )

John Deere 2038R Engine:
Yanmar 3TNV88C-NJT
turbocharged
3-cylinder
liquid-cooled
95.8 ci [1.6 L]
John Deere 2038R Power:
Engine (gross): 37.3 hp [27.8 kW]
PTO (claimed): 30.4 hp [22.7 kW]

Capacity:
Fuel: 8.5 gal [32.2 L]

3-Point Hitch:
Rear Type: I
Control: position control
Rear lift (at 24"/610mm): 1356 lbs [615 kg]

Power Take-off (PTO):
Rear PTO: independent
Rear RPM: 540 (1.375)
Mid RPM: 2000

Dimensions & Tires:
Wheelbase: 67.9 inches [172 cm]
Weight: 2436 lbs [1104 kg]
Front tire: 7.00-12
Rear tire: 12.4-16

John Deere 2038R attachments:
mowing deck

front-end loader
Loader type: John Deere 220R
Height (to pin): 85 inches [215 cm]
Clearance, dumped bucket: 66 inches [167 cm]
Dump reach: 30 inches [76 cm]
Dump angle: 36
Clearance, level bucket: 79 inches [200 cm]
Reach at ground: 51 inches [129 cm]
Breakout force (at pin): 1949 lbs [884 kg]
Breakout force (at 500mm): 1360 lbs [616 kg]
Breakout force (bucket): 2138 lbs [969 kg]
Lift to full height (at pin): 1120 lbs [508 kg]
Lift to full height (at 500mm): 803 lbs [364 kg]
Lift to 1.5m (at pin): 1269 lbs [575 kg]
Lift to 1.5m (at 500mm): 979 lbs [444 kg]
Bucket width: 49 inches [124 cm]
53 inches [134 cm]
57 inches [144 cm]

backhoe

Mechanical:
Final drives: spur gear
Differential lock: mechanical rear
Steering: power
Brakes: wet disc
Cab: Two-post foldable ROPS.

Hydraulics:
Type: open center
Pressure: 2500 psi [172.4 bar]
Valves: 0 to 3
Pump flow: 5.3 gpm [20.1 lpm]
Total flow: 9.3 gpm [35.2 lpm]
Steering flow: 4 gpm [15.1 lpm]

Electrical:
Ground: negative
Charging system: alternator
Charging amps: 85
Charging volts: 12

Page information:
Last update: August 23, 2018
Copyright: Copyright 2018 TractorData LLC

Last edited:
   / Looking for HP Recommendation #55  
The JD 2038r is a solid tractor, pretty stout loader and 3 point for its size.

/ Looking for HP Recommendation #56  
The 2038R does get a lot of good press in the "JD Owners" section of TBN. Nice tractors - and even nicer with the Yanmar engine and who knows what else makes a good combol. Yanmar is top quality mechanicals and JD tops for dealership backing. JD shop manuals and FOS booklets are legendary.

I'd probably be tempted to go that way myself - and especially if the competing Kubota didn't have HST+.

Youne, you've got the same problem every first time buyer faces - how to sort through the advertising to find out the important parts. Don't fret; there's no way to know & all will do the job. Next time you will know more about what fits you and your land.

But some things are universal: More power and weight are always good; so is 3pt lift capacity. More ground clearance is always good. Adjustable rear tire width is always good. And the more gears & ranges available the better.
Many have noted that no matter what tractor people buy, their second tractor is almost always a size larger. Even knowing that, we all start off too small. I did, too. And small will still work. It just takes longer.

You can take that too far. When I first started, my wife said she couldn't see me on our tractor because the snow drifts were higher than my hat. Now when I see her looking out the window of the house I just open my cab window & wave.... and maybe turn up the heater. But I do miss our little tractor.

My own opinion is that you are better off if your FIRST tractor is one of the 3 or 4 most popular brands - but that is opinion; not fact.
It still leaves you plenty to choose from.
Good Luck,
rScotty

/ Looking for HP Recommendation #57  
We only have three acres and I have a bx2380 and a zero turn for mowing and am glad I do. The tires on the tractor are the middle grade and I got them so as to avoid tearing up the turf in the yard, but they do it anyway. If I were to be mowing with the little bx instead of the zero turn it would take me twice as long and the yard would always be torn up. Were I in your shoes with five acres I would get the size tractor next up from the bx, I think that would be the b size, and a zero turn for mowing. My little bx will do anything a larger tractor will do but I have to take smaller bites and of course it takes me longer to get it done.

/ Looking for HP Recommendation #58  
The real thing to remember is there really is no 100% solutions (at least not that I've seen), and the unique situations each owner has can drive what's needed/wanted.

I went with an L3560 for my property that's just under 3-ish acres and after 4 years it's rare that I'm finding myself wanting either a bigger or smaller machine - though there I times I'd like to have both a smaller and larger machine as there are a few spots where a machine under 4ft wide would be handy, and there are some things that would make a much higher loader lift capacity highly desirable (e.g. moving IBC totes filled with captured rain water, moving some of the tree stumps that I dug out with a rented mini-excavator)....

So I think no matter what you go with you'll eventually find that there are always a few things you'd like to be different. So even if a tractor feels too big at first give it a bit of time as my L3560 felt a bit big when I first got it on my property and then as I got used to it, it rapidly started shrinking .... to the point it now feels almost "small" though it's still big enough to do >90% of what I need to do in the time I have to do it.

Which is more than good enough for the foreseeable future, and if that changes well then it's just a tractor and getting a tractor isn't like marrying a spouse or making life or death decisions. So enjoy your purchase and learn with it. ....and :tractor: on. :thumbsup: