Kubota L3940 All the Sudden Won't Move and Hydraulics Won't Work

/ Kubota L3940 All the Sudden Won't Move and Hydraulics Won't Work #11  
Get it up to level ground and get yourself at least 10 gallons of hydro oil. Follow the directions in the manual to check the level and fill it. After the first gallon stop and look for any leaks. If none are seen add a few more gallons and look again. Also start checking the level with the dip stick. If no leaks are found then start the tractor up once the level looks good (or you have all 10 gallons in there). Look for leaks with it running. If none are found start moving the loader and 3pt hitch while looking for leaks. Once a leak is found shut off the engine and repair it. I might try to drive it back to the shop but only if the leak is very small. If the level drops far enough so the tractor will not move you are risking expensive damage to your HST system.

/ Kubota L3940 All the Sudden Won't Move and Hydraulics Won't Work
Okay. Neighbor pulled it up to level ground. I tried to start it but it wouldn't start. I checked the hydraulic oil level and it didn't even register on the dip stick. I can buy more and top it off, but I looked under the tractor to see what might have caused the large oil residue where I had it parked in the grass the day before. Oil was dripping from the split pin. See the URL below to view the precise location (green circle). Let me know if I'm incorrectly identifying this.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=18lRynyxXECKrPLpYGk3cz9z6Zj7EkWip

After a bit the dripping slowed to nearly nothing. I've seen dripping from here a lot, sometimes more and sometimes less. I don't know the rhyme or reason as to what causes it to leak more.

I've read the horror stories about this possibly signifying a seal that will cost a significant amount to have replaced. Before I head down that undesirable road, are there other possible causes that I could easily check to make sure it isn't something simple?

Last edited:
   / Kubota L3940 All the Sudden Won't Move and Hydraulics Won't Work #13  
Going through the same right now on my L4240,lucky I saw it leaking from the pin before any damage.At the dealers right now.
No easy or cheap fix,have to split the tractor$.

/ Kubota L3940 All the Sudden Won't Move and Hydraulics Won't Work #14  
Okay. Neighbor pulled it up to level ground. I tried to start it but it wouldn't start. I checked the hydraulic oil level and it didn't even register on the dip stick. I can buy more and top it off, but I looked under the tractor to see what might have caused the large oil residue where I had it parked in the grass the day before. Oil was dripping from the split pin. See the URL below to view the precise location (green circle). Let me know if I'm incorrectly identifying this.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=18lRynyxXECKrPLpYGk3cz9z6Zj7EkWip

After a bit the dripping slowed to nearly nothing. I've seen dripping from here a lot, sometimes more and sometimes less. I don't know the rhyme or reason as to what causes it to leak more.

I've read the horror stories about this possibly signifying a seal that will cost a significant amount to have replaced. Before I head down that undesirable road, are there other possible causes that I could easily check to make sure it isn't something simple?
Forbidden access to link. You need to share it.

/ Kubota L3940 All the Sudden Won't Move and Hydraulics Won't Work
   / Kubota L3940 All the Sudden Won't Move and Hydraulics Won't Work #16  
Link didn’t work for me after you said it was fixed.
I have L3940 so I’m paying attention.

/ Kubota L3940 All the Sudden Won't Move and Hydraulics Won't Work #17  
I managed to get it (app - long press on link - drive open) so:
Underneath%20Kubota.jpeg

/ Kubota L3940 All the Sudden Won't Move and Hydraulics Won't Work #18  
That hex bolt with the pin accesses the bellhousing and it it's leaking from there and it's low on tranny oil, a split is in order as your input seal has failed.

/ Kubota L3940 All the Sudden Won't Move and Hydraulics Won't Work #19  
Going through the same right now on my L4240,lucky I saw it leaking from the pin before any damage.At the dealers right now.
No easy or cheap fix,have to split the tractor$.
Make sure they replace the 4wd shaft seal while they are in there and the sleeve that it rides on.

/ Kubota L3940 All the Sudden Won't Move and Hydraulics Won't Work #20  
I managed to get it (app - long press on link - drive open) so:View attachment 701120

The pin in that nut is to keep debris and such out of the weep hole in the nut. If you found a 3’x3’ oil spot in grass, you have a significant leak.
Splitting a tractor apart is a fairly serious labor endeavor, if you do not have a good means to support both parts of the tractor during separation and while apart and when reassembled, have it done. Both parts are heavy even on small subcompacts. The bigger the tractor the heavier the parts.
Due to the labor involved, relatively inexpensive seals, will result in an costly repair.
However the expense of constant filling of hydro fluid will offset the expense quickly if you do not do the repair. Not to mention the potential damage to other parts of the hydro system.