Kubota L3940 All the Sudden Won't Move and Hydraulics Won't Work

/ Kubota L3940 All the Sudden Won't Move and Hydraulics Won't Work #21  
Simple call to your dealer will confirm that issue.

/ Kubota L3940 All the Sudden Won't Move and Hydraulics Won't Work #22  
One thing to keep in mind and that is, running the pumps dry will score the swash plates. They cannot run dry.

/ Kubota L3940 All the Sudden Won't Move and Hydraulics Won't Work #23  
I wonder why it wouldn’t start when pulled up on the level?

/ Kubota L3940 All the Sudden Won't Move and Hydraulics Won't Work #24  
I wonder why it wouldn’t start when pulled up on the level?
Prob more fluid leaked out while sitting on that angle? Must be really low.

/ Kubota L3940 All the Sudden Won't Move and Hydraulics Won't Work
No easy or cheap fix,have to split the tractor$.

a split is in order as your input seal has failed.

Make sure they replace the 4wd shaft seal while they are in there and the sleeve that it rides on.

Splitting a tractor apart

Thank you all. Not sure if I got everyone's response about the need to split the tractor.

A few parting questions...
1) There could be several reasons, but any idea what causes the seal to fail? If it is something I could have done, I want to avoid it in the future.

• I've had the tractor for 13-14 years
  • I maintain (mow) about 5 acres
  • I use the loader to move all sorts of things (heavy and light)
  • I use a box blade to maintain a nearly 1/2 mile gravel drive, level areas and move snow
  • There are more hills than level areas on our land
  • I try to have it serviced regularly, based pretty closely on the manual's recommendations
2) This seems drastic enough of a repair (especially since I have a cab on it) that it may be too much for an average mechanic. Would you recommend a dealer performing this or just finding a good independent mechanic?

3) I know there are a LOT of variables, but can someone give me a general ballpark on what I'm look at for cost? Above $2000, above $3000, over $5000? Just need to know how many children I'll have to sell to pay for it! 😂

I have L3940 so I’m paying attention.

Once I take the step to get it repaired I'll place an update here so other owners will know what to expect.

/ Kubota L3940 All the Sudden Won't Move and Hydraulics Won't Work #26  
I'd say at 14 years it's just tired and I'd take it to a dealer. A cab unit requires a trained tech, nit some shadetree mechanic. Couple grand probably.

/ Kubota L3940 All the Sudden Won't Move and Hydraulics Won't Work #27  
I'll let you know in a week or so when I get mine back!Guessing 2K minimum.
It's nothing you or I did;just happens.So common the dealer keeps the necessary parts in stock.

/ Kubota L3940 All the Sudden Won't Move and Hydraulics Won't Work #28  
Like I said previously (and you must have missed it), if you ran the gearcase dry and it didn't move, there is a good chance (if it's a hydrostat) that you scored the swash plates in the pump. They don't last very long with no lubricant flooding them.

/ Kubota L3940 All the Sudden Won't Move and Hydraulics Won't Work #29  
This seems to be a Grand L 40 series issue.
I never see complaints about the Grand L 10,30 &60 series.
Good Luck!

/ Kubota L3940 All the Sudden Won't Move and Hydraulics Won't Work #30  
Prob more fluid leaked out while sitting on that angle? Must be really low.

Low fluid combined with somewhat steep incline and fluid moved away from pump pickup point. Once pumped out of that area, low fluid level did not allow replenishment to the pickup. Many tractors have multiple drain plugs for a reason.
With noticing a 3x3 ft oil spot in grass and not checking and filling, well learn a lesson from his error. Even a few drips from being parked, one needs to check fluid levels. Anytime a leak has bern noticed.
Of course a 9 sq ft oil spot means get it somewhere for repairs not keep on working! (Not intending to bash the OP, but express to others to do differently). That size spot on grass would have been larger on concrete that would not absorb oil, and probably would have been significantly larger (as much as twice as large — 6x6 ft)

Last edited: