Towing gooseneck horse trailer with 3/4 ton gas powered truck

/ Towing gooseneck horse trailer with 3/4 ton gas powered truck #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
As mentioned in a previous post, we recently purchased a 2015 Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 gas. We currently pull a 3 horse bumper pull trailer when fully loaded comes it just under 7k lbs. ( pic attached).
IMG_0832.JPG
We have an opportunity to upgrade to a 3 horse gooseneck with small living quarters. We averaged almost 9 mpg on our tow this week with some hilly driving at 70-72 mph. How do these trucks handle gooseneck towing? The only experience we have with gooseneck towing was with our Ram with a Cummins.

/ Towing gooseneck horse trailer with 3/4 ton gas powered truck #2  
I prefer GN trailers over bumper pull due to the weight of the trailer being put squarely over or slightly ahead of the rear axle, not cantilevered off the back bumper.

Gas, diesel, motor fuel is irrelevant, the 3/4 ton chassis should be suitable for your intended use.

Here's our F250 gasser, pulls our 4 horse slant just fine, as long as you keep the fuel tank full... gets about 7mpg towing, but in all fairness, only about 10mpg empty.
20211016_161502.jpg

/ Towing gooseneck horse trailer with 3/4 ton gas powered truck
I prefer GN trailers over bumper pull due to the weight of the trailer being put squarely over or slightly ahead of the rear axle, not cantilevered off the back bumper.

Gas, diesel, motor fuel is irrelevant, the 3/4 ton chassis should be suitable for your intended use.

Here's our F250 gasser, pulls our 4 horse slant just fine, as long as you keep the fuel tank full... gets about 7mpg towing, but in all fairness, only about 10mpg empty. View attachment 763172

Thanks for a great response-actually covered two concerns-mpg and how suspension would perform. The trailer we are looking at is a little smaller, looks as if it will handle it fine

/ Towing gooseneck horse trailer with 3/4 ton gas powered truck

Here's our F250 gasser, pulls our 4 horse slant just fine, as long as you keep the fuel tank full... gets about 7mpg towing, but in all fairness, only about 10mpg empty. View attachment 763172

Do you have the 6.2?

/ Towing gooseneck horse trailer with 3/4 ton gas powered truck #5  
I pulled a 3h slant GN with a gas 3/4 FORD 5.8 for years. 150k miles no problem. Other rig was 3/4 Dodge with a cummings. It towed a heavy Charmac GN 200k miles without a problem.

/ Towing gooseneck horse trailer with 3/4 ton gas powered truck #6  
I prefer a GN for the smoother ride. We just downsized from a 3 horse slant GN to a 3 horse slant bumper pull. Crawling into the bed to hook up the GN was getting a little tough and our needs changed. We no longer show so it is just for the occasional short trip to the vet.

/ Towing gooseneck horse trailer with 3/4 ton gas powered truck #8  
it’s easier and better on gas pulling a goose neck or fifth wheels trailer compair to bumper pull as deiselcrawler said … no issues you could pull that bumper or goose neck trailer with a 1/2 ton it would just take more gas to do so.

/ Towing gooseneck horse trailer with 3/4 ton gas powered truck #9  
I have had no issues pulling goosenecks or 5th wheels with my gas engined 3/4 ton Ford.

It has a completely stock 6.2 gas engine with the standard 3.73 gears.

It is a non-event.

You'll like the way the gooseneck pulls compared to the bumper pull.

/ Towing gooseneck horse trailer with 3/4 ton gas powered truck #10  
Do you have the 6.2?
Yes, the red truck is a 6.2L gas motor. In all fairness, I also have (and prefer to drive) an '06 F350, 6.0 diesel with 6spd manual trans. We moved recently, 3 hours one way, and we ran both trucks, with trailers, every weekend, all spring and summer. The 6.2L keeps up with the 6.0 just fine, at double the engine rpms and 2/3 the fuel mileage. I'd like the 6.2L a lot more if it were backed with a manual transmission. But my wife likes it, and has no issues tugging a trailer with it.
20220429_172107.jpg