Towing gooseneck horse trailer with 3/4 ton gas powered truck

/ Towing gooseneck horse trailer with 3/4 ton gas powered truck
Yes, the red truck is a 6.2L gas motor. In all fairness, I also have (and prefer to drive) an '06 F350, 6.0 diesel with 6spd manual trans. We moved recently, 3 hours one way, and we ran both trucks, with trailers, every weekend, all spring and summer. The 6.2L keeps up with the 6.0 just fine, at double the engine rpms and 2/3 the fuel mileage. I'd like the 6.2L a lot more if it were backed with a manual transmission. But my wife likes it, and has no issues tugging a trailer with it. View attachment 763243

When I was looking, the 6.2 was definitely at the top of my list. I have heard a lot of good things about it.

/ Towing gooseneck horse trailer with 3/4 ton gas powered truck #12  
When I was looking, the 6.2 was definitely at the top of my list. I have heard a lot of good things about it.
The 6.2L is a solid motor. Keep the oil changed, and they run great for a long time. My company truck (2017 F350 2wd, single rear wheel, service bed) has the 6.2L, gets the guts run out of it daily. I've seen many run loaded heavy every day for years and need little to no maintenance other than oil changes and brakes.

I just prefer a manual trans, and when I found the green truck, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get everything I wanted in one package.

/ Towing gooseneck horse trailer with 3/4 ton gas powered truck #13  
I pull a Sundowner all aluminum 3/H gooseneck with a F250 6.7 Diesel. I don't even know it's behind me and the hitch weight isn't an issue on a 3/4 ton.

I bought my daughter a 2017 Ram 3500 with Cummins, pick it up next Monday. She's the real horsebuff who's actually going to college for equine science. I think she'll get a ton of use out of it, hope it serves us well and is reliable.

/ Towing gooseneck horse trailer with 3/4 ton gas powered truck #14  
As long as you stay in your trucks weight ratings you should be fine.

My experience is with 5th wheels, and pull-behind flatbed(for tractor). My previous 5th wheel was close in weight to my flatbed with tractor. The 5th wheel was much nice to pull, handled better.

You do lose some use of the bed with a gooseneck/5th wheel though.. If you are used to piling stuff in the bed while using a pull-behind trailer, be aware of that. For my 5th wheel it is even worse because hitch takes up more room too.

/ Towing gooseneck horse trailer with 3/4 ton gas powered truck #15  
I just hauled a 33' gooseneck with a 75 Ford 250 all the way from Louisiana line to all over Alaska.

/ Towing gooseneck horse trailer with 3/4 ton gas powered truck #16  
I pull a 30' camper with 7500lb dry weight with a dodge 1500 I did a 776 miles (one way) vacation trip one time. As long as you keep putting gas every 240 miles it pulls ... I was doing about 7.5 miles per gallon lol ... but I was cruising pretty good...

/ Towing gooseneck horse trailer with 3/4 ton gas powered truck #17  
Here's our F250 gasser, pulls our 4 horse slant just fine, as long as you keep the fuel tank full... gets about 7mpg towing, but in all fairness, only about 10mpg empty. View attachment 763172
A former employer of mine, had restored a 1978 Volvo F89 truck with a home made huge sleeper. When hauling products to the galvanising plant, he got 14mpg with a flatbed, empty...

/ Towing gooseneck horse trailer with 3/4 ton gas powered truck #18  
No reason it won't work. I have pulled a 24 foot gooseneck stock trailer with a 350 4 barrel 4-speed C30. Job got done. New gas truck would run circles around that rig....

/ Towing gooseneck horse trailer with 3/4 ton gas powered truck #19  
Whats the weight of the new trailer?

It should handle it fine.

MPG is a function of weight, wind resistance, and rolling resistance (tires on the ground).
Assuming the new trailer is of similar nose design as far as wind resistance, and same 4 tires on the road, weight is really the only thing gonna effect MPG.

If you averaged 9mpg with 7k behind you....and if empty (assuming) you were getting ~12ish....and if new trailer is 10k...I'd expect 7ish MPG. I dont buy the notion that a GN will get better mileage. Yes they tow nicer and smoother, but better mileage isnt a staple of a GN.

Gotta watch turning too, they cut corners alot shorter. Need a wide driveway approach to not crush your culverts. And trying to navigate something like a drivethru becomes more challenging vs a BP trailer.

But all in all, I cant imagine a 3-horse GN being too much for a 3/4-ton truck And I think the tow ratings for that year are up around 14k anyway. The 6.0 is a good gasser too

/ Towing gooseneck horse trailer with 3/4 ton gas powered truck #20  
Today, with fuel prices, nothing is a cheap date anymore. The 70 to 100 buck fill is the norm today. Probably gonna get worse before it gets better too.