You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #891  
First time I flew at least half the passengers smoked, the guy next to me was drinking from a bottle he brought on himself, the meal was good, got a pillow and blanket just by asking. You could ask to go up to the cockpit.
The pilot joked about his name being Orville.

/ You Know You Are Old When #893  
Anyone remember Jungle Jim and Jungle Pam?

View attachment 852846

They are from West Chester, PA a town about 10 miles from me. She was a student at West Chester University. Story goes that Jungle Jim was looking for a “back up girl”. They would stand outside to help the driver get backed up to the starting line (and entertain the crowd). Anyway, he stopped her while walking to class and asked her if she wanted to do that for him. She said yes and the rest was history. It’s quite a love story.

Jim died on a nearby highway in a fatal car crash.

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #895  
The only time I ever wore a watch was back in the 70s/early 80s when I had a job that entailed a lot of travel. Nice to know the time when you're trying to catch a flight. Back then, car clocks were the exception. Always hated wearing any sort of jewelery, that includes watches.
I've been mostly retired now for the last 12 years, so it's not that important what time it is.
Also retired, I don't care what day it is and only rarely the time. It's great.

I've still got my old 1980's Timex watch that works fine despite a number of electrical marks from hot wires. Come to think of it, hot wires were why I stopped wearing it.

/ You Know You Are Old When #896  
I get the part about not needing a watch when you have a cell phone, but I only turn mine on when not at home. Got in that habit when airtime cost me $400.00 per month in the early 1990's
I hear you. Now it's basically a dollar a day for unlimited everything; voice, text, data.

We have 5 lines that cost $147 per month total.

All of them are on 24/7/365.

/ You Know You Are Old When #898  
The first time I flew in a commercial plane at a major airport, I walked out the unlocked door of the terminal, through an unlocked chain link gate in a 4’ high fence and climbed up the stairs to the plane.

Yeah, that’s old.
My kid does darn near that at the Stillwater, OK airport. It's small!

/ You Know You Are Old When #900  
The first time I flew in a commercial plane at a major airport, I walked out the unlocked door of the terminal, through an unlocked chain link gate in a 4’ high fence and climbed up the stairs to the plane.

Yeah, that’s old.
Well, not THAT old. I remember that still being how it was done in the 70s/early 80s at some of the smaller airports. At the time I lived near Manchester, N.H. and their airport was that way until the mid-ish 80s.

Nowadays, it's a nice modern airport, but when I was doing business travel it was pretty bush league. For many years there was only a small commuter airline serving it. As little as I like flying to begin with, those small planes were even worse. It got so I'd rather take my chances driving to Boston than take that "airline".
The next time that I fly in a commercial airline will be the first time.
I hear ya. I hate flying too, even though I had a job that required a lot of travel for 12-13 years. Haven't been on a plane since.
Enjoyed the work, airports/rental car companies not so much. An upside was that I did get to get a lot of extended "test drives" on a wide range of makes and models. Certainly formed some strong opinions on brands to avoid!