2013 Hay Season

/ 2013 Hay Season #21  
we are going to try to start cutting 100acs monday if everything goes ok.im ready to start seeing some rolled up around here.an to see if we need to go for a 2nd cutting in mid aug.itll be nice to see big heavy bales again.

/ 2013 Hay Season #22  
The Oats here made about 3 1/2 tons per acre this Spring. Best crop they've had in a long time, maybe ever.

/ 2013 Hay Season
We got 1&1/4in. Rain today,hay looking good at the house 2013-06-069518.02.07.jpg

/ 2013 Hay Season #24  
So far only a few square bales put up .. A lot of rain and the fields look great. Forecast shows 14 days of sun and temps will reach 99 degrees .. Need a couple days to dry the fields and then I'll be putting the bales in the barn .. Am going to do 90% squares this year .. Demand for square bales is high.

Here's how I handle squares ...

http://www.haybuddysystems.com

/ 2013 Hay Season #25  
Foreman, that is a great pic! What kind of grass is that?

/ 2013 Hay Season
Foreman, that is a great pic! What kind of grass is that?
Thanks! Grasshopper fertilizer 30-8-10 and 4gal.Grazon P+D
Coastal with bahia all in it,use to spray to kill out the bahia but thats a costly losing battle...

/ 2013 Hay Season #28  
We hire crews of teenage young men to stack the bales on trucks and trailers. The bales go from the field to the barn where again the crews of high school guys, under direction of my wife, stack the hay in the barn.

It is labor intensive, but we can pay a lot of help for the cost of a round baler and retrofitting the feeding troughs in the barn.
I remember getting $20 a day as a teenager doing that. 3 or 4 weeks work paid for scout camp for the summer, and had some mad money for books, dates, and gas for my parent's car when I borrowed it.

/ 2013 Hay Season #29  
I remember getting $20 a day as a teenager doing that. 3 or 4 weeks work paid for scout camp for the summer, and had some mad money for books, dates, and gas for my parent's car when I borrowed it.

We never got paid ... Dad and his friends just traded the boys between them during hay seaso ...I always got the field cause I could stack the hay rack behind the baler ... Sure beat the hot hay loft

/ 2013 Hay Season #30  
I worked for Edmond James out of Arpelar for three summer before taking off to the service.. we got one dollar a ton,,30 bales to the ton,, 5 tons to the truck,, three of us,, you loaded and unloaded for that 3 cent a bale,, Mr. James had the hay lease at the Savanna army depot there in Oklahoma,, we had to use the back gate which came out of Haywood,, good day 50 tons short runs..but the long run maybe 20 ton or four trips.. 9am to sundown,,

I pay a dollar a bale to have it stacked in the barn from my hay fields now.. less than quarter mile.. times have changed,, feed them lunch plus gator, bottle water, and equipment to the do the job.. Lou