Pour dk40

/ Pour dk40 #21  
7 days is to long???
How cold has it been there.
My tractor can set for weeks at well below freezing and start, no problem.

/ Pour dk40 #22  
There's a difference between a poorly maintained battery and one that is killed by heat or cold.
As already stated, if there are conditions that stress a battery, like a loose fan belt, bad ground, poor alternator output, or even a dirty battery case, (which can allow stray voltage to leak from the battery to ground, the battery's life will be shortened).

GMtb42 stated the following: (And I've inserted comments into his text in red for clarity).
"Batteries are damaged by heat more than cold, and yes a dead battery is a dead battery, but what gets them there quicker is heat or leaving something on, short in wiring, "Heat of 100+ーF, increases internal discharge. What you refer to as 'internal discharge' is actually a normal function of all wet cell batteries; evaporation of electrolyte and water that the plates are immersed in, over time and entirely a result of the conditions in which the specific battery is used/maintained. You forgot molecules move faster when hot causing a faster break down, right? As temperatures increase so does internal discharge. A new fully charged battery left sitting 24 hours a day at 110 degrees F for 30 days would most likely not start an engine."---- "Batteries sit too long between charges. I don't know if you're quoting what someone said, (there's one set of open quotes but no end quote to know where the quote ended?). And I can't make sense of what you're trying to say? Where do batteries sit at 110 degrees for thirty days, and who says that they would "most likely not start"? I supposed if one lives in the desert this could be a factor :)"Batteries sit too long between charges." In relation to what, and says who? As little as 24 hours in hot weather and several days in cooler weather." Again, what and who is making these statements?
Do a Google. No need to Google anything- Was a dealer for interstate batteries for over ten years.... So how often did you rotate the stock because of shelf life deterioration?

It is just most people think cold weather is the cause, the battery got hurt in the warm or hot weather and the cold just makes it appear as it was the culprit. A battery fails due to what I've stated above and previously, not because of what any thinks happens. First there is virtually no such thing as a maintenance free battery. Almost every battery can have water added to the individual cells as needed, more so in hot weather, obviously, but that does not rule out a battery that has NOT had water added due to lack of maintenance, improper sizing, not enough reserve capacity of CCA, etc. from getting discharged and then dying during cold weather. The greater possible problem during cold weather is the possibility of a poorly maintained battery actually freezing and then if one attempts to quick charge, or applies too many amps before the battery has thawed it can and will explode, given the right set of conditions. Really so how do you add water to a sealed Maintenance free battery without destroying it? Or voiding warranty?
Drill holes in it?
Of course if like I said, a short or something left on, lights, switch, etc... Air-conditioning is a HUGE factor for cars; not so much for tractors, unless cabbed with AC. Hmm HEAT, wow.

I reread the OP and it sounds as if though the guy was saying it took 4 tries to start the tractor, as in the glowplugs did not heat up enough to start first try." Who knows what he's saying exactly- I find it difficult to follow most of his posts:confused3:
Dude chill, I am half a century old and have been around equipment all my life, large and small, reared on a Dairy Farm (400 acres), worked in a family owned Underground Telephone Utility Company (did work for what once was Bell Telephone), a Gravel Washer Plant (sold to local County and others) and a Handyman service, so I think I know just a tad bit about what I am saying.
I did quote a battery FAQ site on the 2 quotes, which are started and ended correctly " ".
I digress, I think the subject got off on this thread, the OP was stating the tractor did not start on the first 3 attempts, and wondered why.

Last edited:
   / Pour dk40 #23  
In hot weather, not cold. Theoretical not absolute.

/ Pour dk40 #24  
It's not a criticism, just saying I have difficulty understanding what you're saying- sorry you had a bad accident.

/ Pour dk40 #25  
I sorry you have a hard time with my post. In 2007 i had a bad accident they never thought i would speak i lost allot of what i learned in school and have a hard time but i don't let it stop me.
You don't have to explain yourself, I understood, and thought others did too.
Glad to see your not letting it hold you back.

/ Pour dk40 #26  
I sorry you have a hard time with my post. In 2007 i had a bad accident they never thought i would speak i lost allot of what i learned in school and have a hard time but i don't let it stop me.

Sorry to hear about your accident and you can tell from the sum of your posts on TBN you haven't let it hold you back any. For the record, I followed what you were saying from post #1, I only started doubting my interpretation when others started off on a scientific explanation of the inner working of batteries.

To address the original post, 7 days is not sitting too long or even very long at all. I've never had an issue starting my CK30 in -30 C temps, even if I didn't use the block heater (she let me know she didn't appreciate it much). So far, the coldest I've tried the DK45 is about -5C. It's -14C here today so I'll see how it does tonight. My 20 year old JD 955 refused to start on me a couple times in those temps, but a 30 min shot of the block heater got it going no problem.

Since it's working as expected now, I'd wait and see if it was a one off thing, but if it happened again, I'd call my dealer.

/ Pour dk40 #27  
It could of been a old battery to begin with..

/ Pour dk40 #28  
The other big battery killer is chronic undercharging. This could be a lose belt, short run times, heavy loads (like AC), etc.

IMO, anyone with a boat, tractor, or even an old car needs to have a multimeter in the tool box, and to learn how to do simple things with it (like check battery voltage). This doesn't need to be a fancy or expensive item; they have them at Walmart, Radio Shack, car parts places, or Harbor Freight (for all us cheap skates). For example: 7 Function Multimeter (even cheaper on sale).

/ Pour dk40 #29  
GMtb42 asked: In red text
No need to Google anything- Was a dealer for interstate batteries for over ten years.... So how often did you rotate the stock because of shelf life deterioration?

My reply:
Didn't have to rotate stock, Interstate does it for their dealers based on code stamped into battery case. Therefore only fresh batteries are sold by their dealers.

Air-conditioning is a HUGE factor for CARS; not so much for tractors, unless cabbed with AC. Hmm HEAT, wow.
My reply: No, not heat as much as a heavy load, (draw) on the battery, as a result of running the AC.

Really so how do you add water to a sealed Maintenance free battery without destroying it? Or voiding warranty?
Drill holes in it?

My reply:
You could drill holes in it if you are intent on destroying the battery; or you could just pop the caps which are under the label and fill it to the split rings, like on any other wet cell battery. Your choice.

As others have stated, factors like high load, condition of the battery due to lack of prior maintenance, and possible defective cell(s), etc. can and do contribute to premature failure of batteries all year long, aside from heat and cold extremes.

My point is to inform folks here about what can be done to PROLONG battery life so the battery doesn't die an un-necessary early death when stressed by factors of cold and heat in ADDITION to the other factors which lead to an early demise. Properly maintained batteries can last for many many years without replacement, as many here can and do attest to.

/ Pour dk40 #30  
GMtb42 asked: In red text
No need to Google anything- Was a dealer for interstate batteries for over ten years.... So how often did you rotate the stock because of shelf life deterioration?

My reply:
Didn't have to rotate stock, Interstate does it for their dealers based on code stamped into battery case. Therefore only fresh batteries are sold by their dealers. SO you would just open up one day and the stock would be changed without your noticing the period of time passing. You are so funny. ;-)

Air-conditioning is a HUGE factor for CARS; not so much for tractors, unless cabbed with AC. Hmm HEAT, wow.
My reply: No, not heat as much as a heavy load, (draw) on the battery, as a result of running the AC. So a extra LOAD does not generate more heat, God you are so hilarious. ROFL

Really so how do you add water to a sealed Maintenance free battery without destroying it? Or voiding warranty?
Drill holes in it?

My reply:
You could drill holes in it if you are intent on destroying the battery; or you could just pop the caps which are under the label and fill it to the split rings, like on any other wet cell battery. Your choice. Not all sealed batteries are the same, you must have a myopic view of batteries.

As others have stated, factors like high load, condition of the battery due to lack of prior maintenance, and possible defective cell(s), etc. can and do contribute to premature failure of batteries all year long, aside from heat and cold extremes. Yeah I agree, but heat can facilitate several of your projected problems.

My point is to inform folks here about what can be done to PROLONG battery life so the battery doesn't die an un-necessary early death when stressed by factors of cold and heat in ADDITION to the other factors which lead to an early demise. Properly maintained batteries can last for many many years without replacement, as many here can and do attest to. I agree proper maintenance is a factor, however sealed batteries are done so for a reason.

And to make fun of a person with a impediment.
I use Optima batteries myself, Red and Yellow tops.
But hey, you know more than I, seeing you sold batteries and all I have ever done is use them.

I hope you realize this is friendly banter and not a assault.