Pour dk40

/ Pour dk40 #11  
Up here in the great white north, it tends to get brisk this time of year! I like to let the tractor warm for at least 15 - 20 minutes when the temp is below freezing, but at minus -4 C yesterday, I didn't even consider using the block heater first (maybe at -15C and below). It started up without the slightest hint of hesitation, the RPMs danced around for a few seconds and then it's a little more throaty until it warms up. I'd say anything less than that at these reletively warm temps is an issue that I'd discuss with my dealer.

/ Pour dk40 #12  
My first battery in my 2005 DK45S lasted 6 months before loosing a cell. Second battery lasted about 18 months. third battery lasted 3 years. fourth battery is 2 years old.

/ Pour dk40 #13  
My first battery in my 2005 DK45S lasted 6 months before loosing a cell. Second battery lasted about 18 months. third battery lasted 3 years. fourth battery is 2 years old.
Wow.
Thats some realy bad luck with batteries.
My DK's original battery lasted 11 years.

/ Pour dk40 #14  
Was told and have read this as well, heat kills the battery not the cold so much, the cold just makes it more apparent.

/ Pour dk40 #15  
Was told and have read this as well, heat kills the battery not the cold so much, the cold just makes it more apparent.

??? What? Dead is dead.

/ Pour dk40 #16  
Batteries are damaged by heat more than cold, and yes a dead battery is a dead battery, but what gets them there quicker is heat or leaving something on, short in wiring, "Heat of 100+°F, increases internal discharge. As temperatures increase so does internal discharge. A new fully charged battery left sitting 24 hours a day at 110 degrees F for 30 days would most likely not start an engine."---- "Batteries sit too long between charges. As little as 24 hours in hot weather and several days in cooler weather."
Do a Google.

It is just most people think cold weather is the cause, the battery got hurt in the warm or hot weather and the cold just makes it appear as it was the culprit.

Of course if like I said, a short or something left on, lights, switch, etc...

I reread the OP and it sounds as if though the guy was saying it took 4 tries to start the tractor, as in the glowplugs did not heat up enough to start first try.

Last edited:
   / Pour dk40 #17  
There's a difference between a poorly maintained battery and one that is killed by heat or cold.
As already stated, if there are conditions that stress a battery, like a loose fan belt, bad ground, poor alternator output, or even a dirty battery case, (which can allow stray voltage to leak from the battery to ground, the battery's life will be shortened).

GMtb42 stated the following: (And I've inserted comments into his text in red for clarity).
"Batteries are damaged by heat more than cold, and yes a dead battery is a dead battery, but what gets them there quicker is heat or leaving something on, short in wiring, "Heat of 100+°F, increases internal discharge. What you refer to as 'internal discharge' is actually a normal function of all wet cell batteries; evaporation of electrolyte and water that the plates are immersed in, over time and entirely a result of the conditions in which the specific battery is used/maintained. As temperatures increase so does internal discharge. A new fully charged battery left sitting 24 hours a day at 110 degrees F for 30 days would most likely not start an engine."---- "Batteries sit too long between charges. I don't know if you're quoting what someone said, (there's one set of open quotes but no end quote to know where the quote ended?). And I can't make sense of what you're trying to say? Where do batteries sit at 110 degrees for thirty days, and who says that they would "most likely not start"? I supposed if one lives in the desert this could be a factor :)"Batteries sit too long between charges." In relation to what, and says who? As little as 24 hours in hot weather and several days in cooler weather." Again, what and who is making these statements?
Do a Google. No need to Google anything- Was a dealer for interstate batteries for over ten years....

It is just most people think cold weather is the cause, the battery got hurt in the warm or hot weather and the cold just makes it appear as it was the culprit. A battery fails due to what I've stated above and previously, not because of what any thinks happens. First there is virtually no such thing as a maintenance free battery. Almost every battery can have water added to the individual cells as needed, more so in hot weather, obviously, but that does not rule out a battery that has NOT had water added due to lack of maintenance, improper sizing, not enough reserve capacity of CCA, etc. from getting discharged and then dying during cold weather. The greater possible problem during cold weather is the possibility of a poorly maintained battery actually freezing and then if one attempts to quick charge, or applies too many amps before the battery has thawed it can and will explode, given the right set of conditions.

Of course if like I said, a short or something left on, lights, switch, etc... Air-conditioning is a HUGE factor for cars; not so much for tractors, unless cabbed with AC.

I reread the OP and it sounds as if though the guy was saying it took 4 tries to start the tractor, as in the glowplugs did not heat up enough to start first try." Who knows what he's saying exactly- I find it difficult to follow most of his posts:confused3:

/ Pour dk40
GMtb42 said:
Batteries are damaged by heat more than cold, and yes a dead battery is a dead battery, but what gets them there quicker is heat or leaving something on, short in wiring, "Heat of 100+°F, increases internal discharge. As temperatures increase so does internal discharge. A new fully charged battery left sitting 24 hours a day at 110 degrees F for 30 days would most likely not start an engine."---- "Batteries sit too long between charges. As little as 24 hours in hot weather and several days in cooler weather."
Do a Google.

It is just most people think cold weather is the cause, the battery got hurt in the warm or hot weather and the cold just makes it appear as it was the culprit.

Of course if like I said, a short or something left on, lights, switch, etc...

I reread the OP and it sounds as if though the guy was saying it took 4 tries to start the tractor, as in the glowplugs did not heat up enough to start first try.

You got it right 4 tries on the fourth try it turned over. This morning went out turned the key to the glow plugs after the light went off it started right up. I checked the cables they are clean belt is right where i needs to be. I think it sat to long.

/ Pour dk40 #19  
Shazam!!!!

/ Pour dk40
Coyote machine said:
There's a difference between a poorly maintained battery and one that is killed by heat or cold.
As already stated, if there are conditions that stress a battery, like a loose fan belt, bad ground, poor alternator output, or even a dirty battery case, (which can allow stray voltage to leak from the battery to ground, the battery's life will be shortened).

GMtb42 stated the following: (And I've inserted comments into his text in red for clarity).
"Batteries are damaged by heat more than cold, and yes a dead battery is a dead battery, but what gets them there quicker is heat or leaving something on, short in wiring, "Heat of 100+°F, increases internal discharge. What you refer to as 'internal discharge' is actually a normal function of all wet cell batteries; evaporation of electrolyte and water that the plates are immersed in, over time and entirely a result of the conditions in which the specific battery is used/maintained. As temperatures increase so does internal discharge. A new fully charged battery left sitting 24 hours a day at 110 degrees F for 30 days would most likely not start an engine."---- "Batteries sit too long between charges. I don't know if you're quoting what someone said, (there's one set of open quotes but no end quote to know where the quote ended?). And I can't make sense of what you're trying to say? Where do batteries sit at 110 degrees for thirty days, and who says that they would "most likely not start"? I supposed if one lives in the desert this could be a factor :)"Batteries sit too long between charges." In relation to what, and says who? As little as 24 hours in hot weather and several days in cooler weather." Again, what and who is making these statements?
Do a Google. No need to Google anything- Was a dealer for interstate batteries for over ten years....

It is just most people think cold weather is the cause, the battery got hurt in the warm or hot weather and the cold just makes it appear as it was the culprit. A battery fails due to what I've stated above and previously, not because of what any thinks happens. First there is virtually no such thing as a maintenance free battery. Almost every battery can have water added to the individual cells as needed, more so in hot weather, obviously, but that does not rule out a battery that has NOT had water added due to lack of maintenance, improper sizing, not enough reserve capacity of CCA, etc. from getting discharged and then dying during cold weather. The greater possible problem during cold weather is the possibility of a poorly maintained battery actually freezing and then if one attempts to quick charge, or applies too many amps before the battery has thawed it can and will explode, given the right set of conditions.

Of course if like I said, a short or something left on, lights, switch, etc... Air-conditioning is a HUGE factor for cars; not so much for tractors, unless cabbed with AC.

I reread the OP and it sounds as if though the guy was saying it took 4 tries to start the tractor, as in the glowplugs did not heat up enough to start first try." Who knows what he's saying exactly- I find it difficult to follow most of his posts:confused3:

I sorry you have a hard time with my post. In 2007 i had a bad accident they never thought i would speak i lost allot of what i learned in school and have a hard time but i don't let it stop me.